Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Version

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-1999, 11:03 AM
Econ 101
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why hasnt Chevy made a limited edition of the C5 that includes many of the after-market performance additions? I mean if the market exists, which it surely does, why doesnt Chevy step in and fill the gap?

GM could really use a SVT group like Ford has... Would be great for other cars to. They kind of do it, with the ram-air f-bodys and the Grand Prix GTX. But there should be consistancy in how they do it...

My $.02
Old 02-24-1999, 03:42 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By definition the Corvette is a limited addition car.

You can get SLP editions from Pontiac, and SS Camaros if you like.
Old 02-24-1999, 06:23 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Econ 101,

I know what you mean, build a limited edition and call it the "Sting Ray". Fit it with all the upgrade goodies directly from the factory. It would certainly cost less than buying a new Corvette and then taking all the factory no so fast stuff off and throwing it away, then buying and installing go fast and handle better stuff again!! Like you say it would fill a need in the market. The Corvette that being made now certainly can't be called limited edition, that's like saying the Camaro or the Suburban is a limited edition product. Corvette's are a mass produced car, it takes only 10 hours to make one, production is only limited by the factory output and consumer demand. Since the consumer demand is high, GM will continue to build cars to fill to the demand, not limit production.
Old 02-25-1999, 12:18 AM
GoodToGo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree NEXEX, they make 32k vettes a year? Not really limited edition. I think they only make 10,000 or so Ford Contour SVTs per year. That is more like limited edition.

I say they should have a mod C5 straight from the factory. Maybe work with Mallet or Lingenfelter if they have to. Maybe produce 1000 or so per year, charge about 65-70k for it. They would sell like hot cakes!

Chevy needs a serious Viper fighter. The C5 is a much better car, but it would be nice to be able to drive with confidence when you pull up next to a Viper at the light... Ok, maybe not confidence, but at least a chance

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Version

Quick Reply: Performance Version