Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM & the Web

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-1999, 02:43 AM
Shark Man
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard, more than once, and just read in Shark Quarterly that GM is sending their dogs (lawyers) out to make web site operators pay "licensing fees" for using Corvette pictures/emblems on the web site. Does anyone have any experience with this, have you been contacted by the dreaded evil corporate lawyers?

Just my opinion here, but you would think that the General would be greatful to all these people giving them FREE advertizing and promoting the Corvette for FREE. I can understand paying the fees IF you are running a site that makes money or sells goods, but picking on little guys that just made a web site because they are proud of their Corvette. Come on GM, get real! Without these Corvette lovers you probably wouldn't sell as many cars as you do. Maybe we should charge GM for all the promoting we do!

Any thoughts? sorry about the ranting, this one really gets me steamed.
Old 03-28-1999, 03:08 AM
Brad
Racer

The guy who owns the site "Corvette Surfing", the one in red, white & blue with about 10 million links, told me GM was hassling him about not having a license to use the Corvette name. I asked him to link to my page & he said he wasn't doing any more webpage upgrades at the time b/c of this ongoing problem w/ GM. Of course he echoed your sentiment on the ridiculousness of this, as do I.

Brad

Old 04-02-1999, 01:31 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited 04-03-99).]
Old 04-02-1999, 01:34 AM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited 04-03-99).]
Old 04-02-1999, 01:37 AM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Shark Man,
My brother's a corporate attorney and he objects to your use of the word "SHARK" in your name as this is globally identified with lawyers only. A group of them are now considering a class action suit against you for bringing some kind of legitimacy to the name. Yes, they are hard-up for dough too, but don't let that cloud your sympathy for them. They don't get brand new GM cars every year like the Generals attornies. In fact my brother's Jaguar is two and a half years old! That's 30 MONTH'S! I know, I know, but he'll tough it out. Maybe you could just E-mail him five bucks to shut him up. Send it to www.bitethehandthatfeeds.com
Disgusted in Seattle, Greg
Old 04-02-1999, 05:02 AM
Pro

Shark Man this is the same kind of petty crap that Disney did to various childcare buisnesses for using images of their cartoon charicters, it's BS ! I read a thread off of a mailing list that GM is going to discontinue the Vette after 2002, if so it will happen sooner if they don't get their heads out of teir #*#*# pronto !
Just my opinion, STW anyway ! They cannot take what we already have !

Old 04-03-1999, 02:51 AM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Scott,
Sorry about the triple post. 72 cups of coffee before bed... never again!
Greggy
Old 04-03-1999, 11:55 AM
Shark Man
Burning Brakes

Greg,

That's histerical! I was laughing my @$# off, my humble apologies to your brother, and corporate attorneys everywhere for slandering them as human beings, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. It must be pretty tough on him with a Jag that's 30 months old, consider my 5 bucks in the mail! You should do what I do, get your coffee from an IV bottle, I got one of those cool hangers with wheels on it so I can walk around with my coffee.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To GM & the Web

Quick Reply: GM & the Web