Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Car wiring hell...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Car wiring hell...

So my new business has been slow this month, as most government work tends to slow quite a bit from just before turkeyday until after newyears. I started digging out the painless wiring harness for my track car and layed out a plan (First mistake) to wire the whole car up by Xmas. There's over 200 feet of wire in this 18 circuit kit, not including the fuel injection harness kit I have to terminate wires for...

I bought all this "stuff" for the car back when I was going to keep it a street car four years ago. Those of you who have visited my pics folder know that the car won't be much for the street since there will only be a windshield and rear hatch glass. The new 18 circuit harness has a lot of extras I won't be needing... Not to worry, I've got plenty of crap I can piggyback into the electricals... MSD box, Holley Commander 950 standalone, Accusump, secondary fuel pump for surge canister, and Im sure 1 or 2 other things I'm missing. Fortunately this car started as a rolling shell so wiring it has been cake to this point. Unfortunately I've decided to keep the factory stalks for the wiper, lights and turnsignals, and that has proven to be a challenge.

I've got a total of about 16 hours in wiring so far and all that is left is the front lights and the second portion of the stalk where the wiper power is, along with the wiper intermittant circuit... ACK! I have 8 wires and all I need is two speeds... Stop and GO! I'm betting one of these switches will get cooked in the process. Fortunately I have spares!

So after the wiring is complete and my Odyssey PC680 battery is bolted down, I'll finish up the dash configuration. We basically took a cheesy dash cover for a 280Z, laid fiberglass in it, cut the top frame work out of an old dash I have, bolted it into the firewall and laid the dash cover in ontop of it. The whole thing weighs about 30 pounds less than a stock dash. I need to epoxy a few more brackets for four gages, a closeout panel for the heater controls and a few toggles I'm using for primary and auxilery power, then I'll be done with the electricals. Once my clutch kit and hydraulic release bearing woes are sorted, I'll bolt the 383 stroker and the TKO 600 in place and start plumbing the fuel and brake lines, weld up a custom rear carrier for the Infinety Q45 rear, Install that unit, the rear Toe adjusters on the suspension, weld up the front top supports for the radiator, and finish off the oil blumbing for the accusump and oil cooler.

After that I'll test fire it and check for leaks, and then remove the drivetrain and prep it for paint... My goal is March or April to have this car DONE!

Remember what I said about best laid plans! See you in 2008!

Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,407 Likes on 754 Posts

Mike,

So, what's the problem? Sounds to me like things are going smoother than you should expect!

Looking forward to the reports when you get her on the track! My first instructor had a 260Z with a 383 in it! He kept breaking things to the point he pulled the motor and dropped a measly 350 in it. That thing is just plain crazy!

Have a great Christmas!

Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Mike did you sell both of your oil coolers?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Bryan, I did...

Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Z car stories make me miss my IROC already......

Joe
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Joe, Anytime you feel the itch to work on a pile of parts and a basket case of a project, I'm 40 minutes down the street and can ALWAYS use a hand!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Track Car wiring hell...

Quick Reply: Track Car wiring hell...