Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"accusump" info needed (c5)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "accusump" info needed (c5)

it has been recommended that I acquire one. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/accusump.htm was listed in a parts thread. so was "masterlube"--what is the best for c5? is there a c5 kit, easy to install? I have the drm combo cooler, does that affect performance/mounting? do any vendors offer accusump?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I know Joe and the Phoenix guys run one on their cars, but to be honest, I'm not sure if they are really necessary (if you have a Z06). I ran my 01 engine for 15K miles and have run this 04 motor for a full season with no oiling issues. The LS6 doesn't seem to suffer the same problems that the LS1s did. In other words, the pressure always seems to be steady and abundant, so lubricating the internals isn't a problem.

The 98 vette I had (with the LS1) and ran at many DEs, would get low on pressure....and worried me a little bit. I put about 8K track miles on that car without problems...but as I said, the pressure would drop quite a bit during hard cornering.

I'd install a tranny cooler and a diff cooler before I'd install an accusump. I know that benefits those components more than an accusump benefits an engine. I also know of several drivers who took off their sumps at last year's runoffs to save weight.

Good luck.

Last edited by wtknght1; 02-13-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRM sells an Acusump kit! You may over heat your tranny or diff but you will run short of oil once
Old 02-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

thanks chris, I have a 402 though and having waited 5+ months to get it back after blowing it up, I don't want to take any chances.

tranny/diff coolers? guess I should start a thread on taht as well, lol.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Canton Racing has a LS1/6 Accusump Kit (I recommend the electronic valve) which includes all parts necessary to complete the installation. I also use the LPE Oil Cooler, Canton Racing Oil Thermostat and GM T1 Trans Cooler. They work great as a complete system.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I know some of the guys run this Accumulator set-up, which is nice because you can prelube your motor before you start it. All you have to do is put a T in the line going to your oil cooler and your set. Although I would look at the remote switch so you don't have to crawl under the car everytime you start or shut off your car.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I enjoy the pre-lube ability of an accusump just as much, if not more, than the potential pressure issues.

There are about a million threads on accusumps if you do a search. I've listed part number and photos for plumbing one directly into your oil journals. All you would then need is the accusump, some AN line, and a single adapter from Fluid-air.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
There are about a million threads on accusumps if you do a search.
I did before and again just now--came up with 6 threads (including this one) adn only 2 were about accusumps. I know there's got to be a ton of info on here somewhere.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

they must have cleared many old posts in November. I'll post my pictures and part numbers again for you soon.

*here is the photo. This is a metric to JIS (same as AN) adapter I got from fluid air. I got it from Fluidair-Parker part number 8M16C80MXS. It is a 16mm to -8 angle adapter. Use Fluidair.net to find your closest location. Any Parker dealer should also be able to get it. They also have 10M20F80MSX, which is an adapter for adding a diff cooler. The trans uses 1/2" npt, so it is easy to find.

This the front driver-side galley plug on all LSX engines. It has a allen plug that screws out, and this adapter easily screws in. I prefer this to using a T at the oil cooler.

Last edited by davidfarmer; 02-14-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:16 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

gump - go to the "advanced search." the quick one is limited to maybe one or two months worth of posts.

Get notified of new replies

To "accusump" info needed (c5)

Quick Reply: "accusump" info needed (c5)