Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Rake

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C6 Rake

I have a 2005 C6 Z51 and I'm getting CCW Classic wheels & Hoosier A6s for autocross.

Q #1) I'm considering going with same size tire 315x30x18 all around. Will my computer protest in Competition Mode or even with the AH/TC OFF?

Q #2) If no protest from the computer, will the car do better from a handling standpoint with some rake. (Hoosier 285x30x18 F and 315x30x18 R which would be a 1" larger R diameter. The car comes with 1.2" larger diameter stock.)

THANKS for your input. Norm
Old 04-08-2006, 09:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I haven't researched the trouble codes, but in the C5's, it would have to be off much more than that to cause a problem (9mph diff to cause an error). I think you'll be fine.

I would leave the rake as is, then adjust the rear as needed to add/remove oversteer. The rear will drop relative 1/2", but the suspension will remain in the propper motion range. If too much oversteer, drop the rear a little, too much understeer, raise the rear a little.

**just looked in the manual, I think you'll be fine on the change of tire size. Don't forget the pressure sensor issues...

Last edited by davidfarmer; 04-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With 4 tires of equal diameter I was a little concerned that the computer would see that as the rear having some wheelspin (faster rotation relative to stock) in competition mode when cornering.

I was talking to Luke @ TireRack & he said he has heard from reputable racing guys that even with AH/TC completely turned OFF that the computer will still intevene in extreme situations. ? He's heard of major attemps to completely disable the system of those interventions but unsuccessful so far.

I've heard that the C6s like some rake ... I just hate to give up the width of the front tires in order to have the rake. I'm just not sure which is better / worse ... narrower tires in F to keep the rake or wider tires in F with same diameter as rear but no rake.

THANKS for your input, David.

Norm

PS I've read everything on TP sensors and there seems to be conflicting info so I still am not sure what to expect. I plan to use these wheels for autox and stock wheels for track days so it may not be much of an issue with the short autox distances.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Rake

Quick Reply: C6 Rake