Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo 2 Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:55 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, in regards to the surface and the courses.

The surface was great once rubbered in really well. It had so much more grip than I had seen previously there (at the regional events) that I ended up changing my car during day 1.

The courses were good, although I preferred the west course. The east course was ok, but a little busy for my taste. Nothing really wrong with it. Wasn't terribly tight, just lots of transitions.

Dave G.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:58 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cashmo
"The Corvette pummeling has begun...I am really glad I did not attend, I would have been very frustrated with the lack of grip..." and on and on...

Geez, Danny. You're just full of good vibes aren't you? The reality is that Nats (like life) is full of change. Nothing stays the same nor should it. With the possible exception of John Thomas, no one wins every year no matter what cars get reclassed or what surface we run on. John Tak doesn't exactly suck and between data aquisition, dyno time and test'n tunes, has put together a really strong effort this year. We'll just never know how good he would have been had he put that much effort into a BSP C4.

Even in a spec class the stars have to line up just right to win in Topeka. You can prepare youself and your car all year but there are so many factors out of your control (weather, surface conditions, course design, etc.) that luck really comes into play. Had AS been running 1st heat or the rain drops arrived earlier on Wednesday afternoon the AWD STI might have won. Had AS run on Thr/Fri with more rubber down the S2000's might have done better.

Not to mention drivers have been known to have good and bad days. We'll never know if either Tak or Olsen was superhuman (or not) this week.

Yes, the surface was slippery compared to Forbes Field but it wasn't ice either. It rubbered in after the first heat and most everbody adjusted their setups and driving to deal with it. Spectator viewing needs help on the east course but the paddock/grid situation was liveable and the shower/bathrooms were really nice. Not having my 17 yr old car shaken apart due to bumpy concrete was priceless.

For those wondering, the PAX/RTP numbers come from Rick Ruth, (AKA Rick The *****) not SCCA. Obviously Nats comes into play but he also factors in results from regions around the country who run on various surfaces. Slick tired cars may not fair well on new asphalt but kick butt on old concrete. Rick tries to find a compromise number in between for each class.

Results are at http://www.scca.com Overall, I think the Corvette's did pretty well in their classes.

I managed to take some pictures during the week. Here's page 1, page 2 and page 3. We're calling 2006 the year of the wing. I'm told the good ones get 100+ lbs of downforce at 45 mph.

Thanks,
Jeff
Congratulations of your win , Jeff

I must say that the Corvettes may have done a little better than I expected, but with the new "slick" surface , and some of the classing situations that are current, I think that it is an uphill battle for Corvettes in SCCA solo right now ( sort of like the AS Pro results ). Not taking anything away from John Tak or Andy Lieber, both of which I like and respect, but did you honestly expect any other type of car to win BSP running 1st heat and the first cars on the courses for the week??? It was defineatly their race to loose........Wonder if a Corvette even remotely has the posibility of winning AS or BSP if it rains, with a whole slew of AWD turbo cars in the class.........No way in hell These cars should be classed by themselves, for the inclimate weather reason alone. As far as ASP goes, I am certainly glad that Mike won, but as far as SP goes, pushrod NA cars are getting screwed............Unlimited turbo boost for AWD rally cars and Porsche Turbo products, just because the SCCA says they cant police this or cam timing on VVT cars. They seem to be able to police this kind of activity at other SCCA levels. Lets try mandated "pop-off" valves with the factories max boost.........., funny part about it is I am on the ****, even though I certainly did not "ask" to be, I was drafted, and found out that I was accepted on the **** when I read it in FAST TRACK ( after one of my sponsors made me aware of it ). Listening to the reasons why about turbo cars and VVT made me laugh. All of this ,coupled with tightened up courses ( to adhere to their 60-65 mph speed limit ) to slow down all of the new technologies in automotive advancements and tire construction, have made this a little less palatable for me .
I have been involved with SCCA solo for 20 years, and I think I can honestly say that the club is as screwed up as I have ever seen. I stil really enjoy autocross in general, because nothing still beats "playing" with cars, but there are other venues to play in for Corvettes. They may not be quite as competitive (yet), but they are fun.
I missed not competing in this years Nationals, but I must say I was not looking as forward to it , as in years past. New smaller surface, all of the low grip comments coming from people who have been there, grass paddock, tighter courses, all seem like negatives to me. I am sure it will get better, but let's hope it gets better for us (the competitors, or customers) , not just the SCCA...................
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Alex Tzortzis (sp?) is the man, Congratulations Alex.......................

Has the SCCA posted final results yet, or did they forget ??????
Old 09-29-2006, 10:22 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cashmo
John Tak doesn't exactly suck and between data aquisition, dyno time and test'n tunes, has put together a really strong effort this year. We'll just never know how good he would have been had he put that much effort into a BSP C4.

Jeff
I don't know just how much development Tak And Lieber put into the EVO, but don't discount the effort that Olsen put into his Corvette to win the "real" BSP class.
He was part of the California contingent led by Ankeny that rented the HPT lot early in the week prior to PRO and developed their cars for that pavement. Harold said he made 45 or 50 runs and changed EVERYTHING.

I was so desperate that I yanked out the old bias Autocrossers for first run Wednesday. They like cold asphalt. But not enough.

Originally Posted by talon95
Also, in regards to the surface and the courses.

The surface was great once rubbered in really well. It had so much more grip than I had seen previously there (at the regional events) that I ended up changing my car during day 1.

The courses were good, although I preferred the west course. The east course was ok, but a little busy for my taste. Nothing really wrong with it. Wasn't terribly tight, just lots of transitions.

Dave G.
My take was just the opposite. I thought the west course was a study in how many different ways you could lay out a 180. And it was slow. I was bottom of 2nd gear most of the time.
The east course had fast transitions that were more like Nationals past.

Last edited by greendot; 09-29-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:44 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
My take was just the opposite. I thought the west course was a study in how many different ways you could lay out a 180. And it was slow. I was bottom of 2nd gear most of the time.
The east course had fast transitions that were more like Nationals past.
No, we actually agree. I didn't say the course wasn't typical of past nationals, but just that I didn't particularly like it.

Dave G.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Alex Tzortzis (sp?) is the man, Congratulations Alex.......................

Has the SCCA posted final results yet, or did they forget ??????
Think they forgot. I looked Saturday morning and they still have not posted SS and had a friend in another class that was 2nd after the 1st day. Still don't see that result either.

Bob
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 AM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Think they forgot. I looked Saturday morning and they still have not posted SS and had a friend in another class that was 2nd after the 1st day. Still don't see that result either.

Bob
Everyone had to be packed and off the site by 7:00pm Friday. I am sure in the rush to tear down the courses and pack they did not get them posted. Maybe we will see them later today.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:06 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
Everyone had to be packed and off the site by 7:00pm Friday. I am sure in the rush to tear down the courses and pack they did not get them posted. Maybe we will see them later today.
way to go, you ex-Corvetter you.............
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 AM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
way to go, you ex-Corvetter you.............
Thanks, I guess I needed a slower car to get er done.

Here are some SS results not from the scca site:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/permali...ad.aspx#213709
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats to Michael Losert and Al Chan for finishing 9th and 15th respectivly. Both from michigan and bringing home some Hardware!

Good Job Guys!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Jason and thanks for posting the link. Your old shocks are working well on the C4.
Rod
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Jerry Onks, moved up many a position and into the trophies, nice come back , dude............
Old 09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by talon95
No, we actually agree. I didn't say the course wasn't typical of past nationals, but just that I didn't particularly like it.

Dave G.
OK, but the part I didn't agree with.............wait, I can't disagree with your feelings, just have different ones.

I liked the east course much more than the west course.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 AM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I must say I did better than I thought I would.

I thought the courses were OK at best. The lots are too small to host what should be the "superbowl" of autocrossing.

Anyway, I do believe that the C5Z06 can keep up with the Elises and GT3s. I think Gary Thomason would have won had he been on Hoosiers (in the GT3).

-Alex T.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Lehman to the rescue

1 day Forbes
1 day HPT

Monday and Wednesday Forbes
Tuesday and Thursday HPT

Then everyone can see the action, hear the PA, courses would rock.
T-shirt guy could come back to Forbes, and kick *** food vendors to Forbes. People could empty their bowels in the HPT bathrooms, and still use the port-a-john's at Forbes.

Asphault and Concrete !

The real superbowl of autocrossing----Forbes and HPT are so close !

Looks like "Team Itchy *****" has just saved the world !
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Lehman to the rescue

1 day Forbes
1 day HPT

Monday and Wednesday Forbes
Tuesday and Thursday HPT

Then everyone can see the action, hear the PA, courses would rock.
T-shirt guy could come back to Forbes, and kick *** food vendors to Forbes. People could empty their bowels in the HPT bathrooms, and still use the port-a-john's at Forbes.

Asphault and Concrete !

The real superbowl of autocrossing----Forbes and HPT are so close !

Looks like "Team Itchy *****" has just saved the world !
You aren't the first person to make that suggestion, lots of folks were talking about that much earlier in the year when it became apparent that the site is really too small to put on two "Nationals size" courses. It was brought up at the Solo town meeting and pretty much put to bed. It appears that the airport authority really doesn't want to us play there. They did a lot to patch concrete and there were substantial costs on their part to have us there. Moreover, the guy who runs the airport authority and was pretty much our sponsor there is retiring, so Howard Duncan has said that we are done at Forbes. I wouldn't say never, cause you should never say never, but right now that isn't on the table...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

That's a shame.

Hell the SCCA headquaters is only 100 yds or so from where we ran at Forbes. I can't believe it was such a big deal for Forbes to host us. Maybe someone in politics in Topeka should put a little pressure on Forbes. Can't see that we really got in anyone's way out there. If we are such a problem, then why did the SCCA put their headquaters there ?

Besides there is no one in the whole state of Kansas, just a bunch of corn. Hell you can't even find a tire shop open on Sunday.

Remember Dorothy was from Kansas, and she needed a tornado to escape. Everything in Kansas was in black and white, and when she went to OZ it was in color---explain that !

Lehman

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo 2 Nationals

Old 10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Everything in Kansas was in black and white, and when she went to OZ it was in color---explain that !

Lehman
David, just when I begin to wonder if your mental facilities have been irrevocably impaired through inhalation of Gold Bond fumes, you come up with something like the above...I vote we move Nationals out of the void which is Topeka. Question is, where to?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:04 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
David, just when I begin to wonder if your mental facilities have been irrevocably impaired through inhalation of Gold Bond fumes, you come up with something like the above...I vote we move Nationals out of the void which is Topeka. Question is, where to?
Kings Island in Cincinnati.

I was there 1st time this summer while in Cincinnati for an autocross event nearby. The parking lot is freakin gigantic (makes Forbes look small). September is off-season (park closed during the week, lots are empty), and we could play in the park on weekends....

Bob
Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
The Subie ended up 4th.
Do you mean Sobie??? Soebiontoro Soekamto.

Larry

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo 2 Nationals