Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scott Gillen's "Setup" - April 18th on SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Despite this and their familiarity with the cars, they weren't first in the
garage spot assignments.
Garage spots were assigned by the kart results. Who knows what his kart experience is? I run a kart in autocross events. It took quite a while to figure out how they drive.

-Steve
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Garage spots were assigned by the kart results.
Oops, Slalom4me wrote without recalling that the first event
was run with the karts (not the cars.)

Bimota Guy, thank you for the reminder/correction.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Oops, Slalom4me wrote without recalling that the first event
was run with the karts (not the cars.)

Bimota Guy, thank you for the reminder/correction.

As was the grid for the first race in the cars. It looks like however you finish the last race is how you will start the next.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM
rickkym
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had driving instruction from both Ron (at evolution school) and Kevin (his mechanic) and BOTH are regional champions (maybe national?) in SCCA Solo 2. Kevin drove me in a N/A solstice around the track last fall and it was AMAZING.

Kevin is actully registered in a NWR event this Sunday, so I wonder if they've already shot the whole show, I'll ask him. And if the show takes 13 weeks or whatever I read I'd really like to know how hobby racers get that time off of work!! Maybe they also know how to find the right gf?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickkym
I've had driving instruction from both Ron (at evolution school) and Kevin (his mechanic) and BOTH are regional champions (maybe national?) in SCCA Solo 2. Kevin drove me in a N/A solstice around the track last fall and it was AMAZING.

Kevin is actully registered in a NWR event this Sunday, so I wonder if they've already shot the whole show, I'll ask him. And if the show takes 13 weeks or whatever I read I'd really like to know how hobby racers get that time off of work!! Maybe they also know how to find the right gf?
They are both Natl champions. The show was in the can right before the San Diego Natl tour, I think they started mid Feb and ended mid Mar. They spent a month down here and did a few local events on the weekends, the show was done during the week, they brought Kevin's Solstice with them to autox.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by rickkym

I believe Ron said in the first show he was a two time national champion.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

The show just gets worse. I am now at the point if I did not know people in it I would stop watching. The lack of any background story (what are they doing to the cars and how did they all get there), no flow to the show, rules on the fly, people behind the wheel that have no business being there and putting others at risk for the sake of drama..... Lame.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
The show just gets worse. I am now at the point if I did not know people in it I would stop watching. The lack of any background story (what are they doing to the cars and how did they all get there), no flow to the show, rules on the fly, people behind the wheel that have no business being there and putting others at risk for the sake of drama..... Lame.
Seems like a poorly produced show. Just having 10 yellow cars racing each other is a ridiculously bad idea. Who can tell them apart? They should all be painted different colors, that could have been part of the sponsorship concept, paint and vinyl up the cars up so that each is unique.

Let's remember it is just a reality show. The producer picks a variety of contenders; a young kid, a girl, a tattoo bad boy, some handsome guys, and a couple of real racers. Then the producers try to create drama by creating artificial situations where personalities will clash.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 AM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danswofford
Seems like a poorly produced show. Just having 10 yellow cars racing each other is a ridiculously bad idea. Who can tell them apart? They should all be painted different colors, that could have been part of the sponsorship concept, paint and vinyl up the cars up so that each is unique.

Let's remember it is just a reality show. The producer picks a variety of contenders; a young kid, a girl, a tattoo bad boy, some handsome guys, and a couple of real racers. Then the producers try to create drama by creating artificial situations where personalities will clash.
I have wasted enough hours watching reality TV to get an idea of the formula, face men, hot chicks, drama queen, jack @ss and a bay boy you have it covered. I think where they went wrong is when you put it on Speed there is some expectation of car content and they are going to lose the hardcore car guys. I also think JohnQ public will have a hard time following the show as there is not enough background info to help them understand what is going on. Like you said for the most part it looks like they could have done a better editing job.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Sorry posted in the other thread. I haven't seen the show but looking at the pictures I thought that was Ron Bauer. This makes it especially interesting to watch, might have to find a chance earlier than tomorrow evening to view it.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I especially hate the way that they are cutting the races. You can't tell what's going on with just highlights of a shaky camera with choppy editing. It's highly irritating to say the least.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Just caught the show first time last night after all the hype about it. The premise of the show sounded cool, but the execution sucked.

It is yet another "overproduced, what hollywood thinks we want to see" stupid reality show that lacks reality. Most of those guys act and drive like a bunch of morons, probably all "set up" that way by the producers because that is what we want to see, right? I would not want to be on the track with most of them, let alone sponsor them.

And what's a reality car show without a hot chick? She should just stick to looking pretty and waving the green flag and keep her mouth shut....

When they finally get done arguing and get to racing, the camera coverage sucks, the way it keeps jumping around. All they seem to focus on is the idiots going off and hitting each other. What kind of racing is that?

Reality shows like Junkyard Wars and Monster Garage started out cool, until hollywood "fixed" them.... they didn't even give a chance for this show to be cool (or maybe that was the first episode I missed).

Feel free to disagree, but that is my 2 cents...

Bob
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I'm losing interest very quickly. Great concept for a show, but poorly executed, and kind of cheesy.

And where do they get these "contestants"? Is that the best they could do? Good grief.....
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maineiac

I'm losing interest very quickly. Great concept for a show, but poorly executed, and kind of cheesy.

And where do they get these "contestants"? Is that the best they could do? Good grief

Me too - so far, I've fallen asleep before the end of each show.

We thought Forza was bad - this one REALLY stinks !!!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't blame the producers, blame the rest of the American public. You're all complaining about the artificial drama, the cast of characters, etc., but why mess with success? Look at primetime on any major network on any night of the week - Survivor, American Idol, blah blah blah.

I don't blame the producers for wanting to make money, they don't give two ***** about the 47 of us who wanted to actually see racing. And isn't the show called "Setup?" Why don't we get to see what the teams are doing differently - alignment, spring rates, attachment points, etc?

Watch it or don't. I doubt any of you have Neilson ratings boxes on your TV sets, anyway.

But I sure do wish I could like the show...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Don't blame the producers, blame the rest of the American public. You're all complaining about the artificial drama, the cast of characters, etc., but why mess with success?
Afterall, NASCAR is the biggest form of auto racing in the US and it's the second most watched sport in America behind Football.

The kind of editing they do on the race is the reason why I like the show "The Utlimate Fighter" and why I couldn't stand the show "The Contender" even though it had big weight behind with Stallone and Sugar Ray. The show sucked because they spent too much time on the "reality" part of the show and when it came time to show the fight, they just gave you highlights and slow motion clips. With The Utlimate Fighter, they actually show you the entire fight as if you were watching a fight. I'd rather see a lot less of the chick screwing around with Rhys Millen or that other crap and a lot more of the racing coverage.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Afterall, NASCAR is the biggest form of auto racing in the US and it's the second most watched sport in America behind Football.
Did you guys see the editorial in this month's C/D about NASCAR? It's an amusing look at how the inundation of corporate sponsorship has taken any possible drama out of the series. Interesting read, sad but true.

I was also laughing while watching the Red Wings / Sharks game last night. HP must have paid a bundle to name the stadium in San Jose the "HP Pavilion" but everyone calls it the "Shark Tank." Even the announcers - I thought they were paid to say the sponsors on the air...

Get notified of new replies

To Scott Gillen's "Setup" - April 18th on SPEED

Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Did you guys see the editorial in this month's C/D about NASCAR? It's an amusing look at how the inundation of corporate sponsorship has taken any possible drama out of the series. Interesting read, sad but true.

I was also laughing while watching the Red Wings / Sharks game last night. HP must have paid a bundle to name the stadium in San Jose the "HP Pavilion" but everyone calls it the "Shark Tank." Even the announcers - I thought they were paid to say the sponsors on the air...
That's the biggest thing that I hate about sports like NASCAR is the corporate whoring. I believe that this is the reason why the races are so damn long. It's so they can run their moving billboards around the track for several hours.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I especially hate the way that they are cutting the races. You can't tell what's going on with just highlights of a shaky camera with choppy editing. It's highly irritating to say the least.
100%. With Forza, at least everyone was in a different car, so even though it was chopped up you could tell who was who when they went back to the race. On this show, the race has no sense of continuity whatsoever.

And that marketing chick should be seen (preferably in the tank top) and not heard. Damn, she is annoying. I have a feeling Rhys gave her something to shut her up after filming was done.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by abraswell
100%. With Forza, at least everyone was in a different car, so even though it was chopped up you could tell who was who when they went back to the race.
Thats a really valid point. It is really hard to see some of the sponsor logos so you can try to figure out what driver was in what place. Since they only really covered 1-3 and last two positions I lost track of where Ron was since he was running 4th most of the time.

After all the complaints, I'm still glad to have this as an option to watch. Otherwise the little woman fills up the Tivo with Oprah and Gilmore Girls...

Quick Reply: Scott Gillen's "Setup" - April 18th on SPEED