Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody heard of/seen this problem before??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Anybody heard of/seen this problem before??

Have my car into the dealer shop to replace left rear and right front wheel bearings under GMPP. Service Writer calls and says they have discovered my left rear caliper bracket is worn and loose where the caliper guide pins install. He says the guide pins are OK but the bracket is worn. This is causing the caliper to **** slightly sideways in the bracket. They are calling GMPP to see if they will authorize replacment of the bracket.

However, I just re-installed my street pads in that caliper 2 weeks ago and the race pads I took out were evenly worn with no taper. I do not remember any undue movement of the caliper when I was working on it then.

Bill
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this happen on the front brakes, not the rear though. That doesn't mean it can't happen though. My wear was on the slid pins though, I replaced them and the "wobble" in my front caliper assembly went away. I think the slide pin metal is softer than the bracket, at least it seems that way. But heck, let them replace it if they want to!

Joe
Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I have had this happen on the front brakes, not the rear though. That doesn't mean it can't happen though. My wear was on the slid pins though, I replaced them and the "wobble" in my front caliper assembly went away. I think the slide pin metal is softer than the bracket, at least it seems that way. But heck, let them replace it if they want to!
I've had the same thing happen with the front calipers only. When the pads grip the rotor, the rotation of the rotor tries to lift the pads upwards causing the backing plate on the pads to bite into the retaining pin. Since the retaining pins are softer metal than the backing plate, the pins will fail eventually under hard braking (been there, done that, and had a spectacular "off"). Therefore, I check and replace my front caliper retaining pins on a regular basis.

Your situation is news to me. I've checked my rear brakes over the years, but didn't notice any similiar type of wear that you described. Maybe you got a bad bracket from the factory. Go ahead an let them replace it and just monitor the situation over time.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I just don't trust dealers...or a lot of repair shops for that matter.

Since I'm the car guy, all my friends and co-workers (well some) ask me to verify repairs that the dealer insist are needed and in a lot of cases they are just quessing swaping out parts at the owner's expense (or GM/GMPP insurance).

On the other hand...are you sure you absolutely torqued the rears back on??? We do this so often I can see how one might miss something, heck I've been quilty of putting a pad or two in backwards before.

If you can remember putting the torque wrench to it, then you have to wonder why it would be loose.

You would think that your braking would be imbalanced. I had front wheel bearing bolts back out a tad once and the thing jerked all over under braking. Maybe less so if in the rear, but I would think you would feel something.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The caliper bracket is on back order and will be in by Monday. I picked the car up today with the new bearings installed and will check the bracket myself while getting ready for a couple of track days on Monday and Tuesday. Just hard for me to believe the pins are OK and the bracket is loose. They are all original parts. When I change pads I use my 3/8 air ratchet to fasten the guide pin bolts so if anything I am guilty of overtightening them.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody heard of/seen this problem before??

Quick Reply: Anybody heard of/seen this problem before??