Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had transmission removed...is the rear still alligned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Had transmission removed...is the rear still alligned?

So, I broke 3rd gear in my C6Z06. I had the dealer fix the car under warranty. To take the transmission out and replace the gear, they had to remove the entire rear end assembly. I assume the rear suspension also came out...to a certain degree.

Is it safe to say that my rear allignment is out of wack? Or would they have not necesarily had to touch the excentrics to get the transmission out of the car?

I just got the car back (after 2 weeks) and are wondering if I NEED a reallignment before the next track day? I recently had the car accurately alligned and don't want to have to go through the time and expense if I don't have to...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Considering the amount of movement in the four studs the rear suspension is mounted to, I'd say the rear needs realignment.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about the trans issues.....too answer your question, I would have the car aligned again. Yes, they did have the entire rear suspension/transaxle out of the car and ,No, they did not touch your eccentrics, but the whole rear suspension crossmember was out of the car, so unless they exactly relocated rear crossmember your alignment is hosed. For some reason GM does not pay for an alignment when they remove the rear crossmember for any repairs/replacement of driveline components.......seems as if they could give a crap about your $2000 set of tires......This has been one of my personal and customers concerns when doing repair of any of the above....I always make the customer align the car after these repairs, even at their expense..
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

those alignment pins really don't have much "slop", so I doubt your settings have changed much, but it is certainly worth the money to have it double checked. With a few hand tools, you can easily check camber and toe, and learn to do it yourself. Why buy milk when you can have the cow for free???

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
those alignment pins really don't have much "slop", so I doubt your settings have changed much, but it is certainly worth the money to have it double checked. With a few hand tools, you can easily check camber and toe, and learn to do it yourself. Why buy milk when you can have the cow for free???

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

Loosen a rear or front subframe up sometime and see how far you can "push" it around with a leveraging device (aka large prybar). I think you will be quite suprised.......... Don't forget to unload the spring before you do it...........
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Loosen a rear or front subframe up sometime and see how far you can "push" it around with a leveraging device (aka large prybar). I think you will be quite suprised.......... Don't forget to unload the spring before you do it...........
Right, as usual, Danny. I have been there and done that. An alignment is cheap insurance for your expensive OEM tires.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple 1/4 inch roll pin in all four corners before you remove the crandle and everything is golden!!!

Randy
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Default aline

reverse in mine complete replacement told the dealer I expected a complete 4-wheel they did it no arguement!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Some dealers will do it, some won't.
GMPP is not nice, but some dealers know how to tweak the repair bill so GMPP covers it.

The front diff blew out on my truck. GMPP covered everything, including an alignement.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear cradle will move around enough for about 0.2~0.3 deg of camber change side to side (what you lose on one side moves to the other). The resultant camber change will also mess up the rear toe/thrust angle.

A common trick to get max net balanced camber if one side gets more than the other is by physically shifting the cradle (big pry bar) to balance the left/right side.

Maybe this is all within GM "factory tolerances" which is why they don't pay for it. Tire wear is not warranty.... But then again the factory alignment on my new C6 Z06 sucked.

Maybe for a street car it is all fine, but not the place to skimp out on a track car that runs at high speeds.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Had transmission removed...is the rear still alligned?

Quick Reply: Had transmission removed...is the rear still alligned?