Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 C5 Autocross Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Steve McQueen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 C5 Autocross Comparison

I am trying to get a rough idea how much of a difference there is between generations as far as handling and breaking is concerned. I have been searching for a modified 450+ HP (90% Street / 10% Autocross) Corvette with a 6 speed. If you factor in that I am not too concerned about ride quality and take power out of the equation, as the car I select will already have a modified drive train. I like the looks of both cars. Are the C5 worth the extra $$ or is it just a case of newer styling and a little more power from the factory.

What were the major handling and breaking improvements say between a 94 - 96 C4 compared to a ZO6 C5

Why does it seem so difficult to pull big hp numbers out of LT1's and LT4's?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I was doing this research over the winter. Basically the C5 has superior properties in many respects. Attainable camber, base engine, better brakes, better ignition, etc. In the case of the C5 Z06 I opted for in the end, it was weight, stiffer chassis, more power, stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, bigger wheels/tires, and better gearing than even the base C5. So in the end I had no doubt a base C5 was a better choice than the C4 even though I really like the C4. The Z06 was a good step up from the C5 to justify the price and it was a personal dream to own a Z06 since I test drove one in 01. Honestly, if the budget is there, I'd opt for the Z06 again, knowing what I know now which has confirmed my research I did before the buy.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
I am trying to get a rough idea how much of a difference there is between generations as far as handling and breaking is concerned. I have been searching for a modified 450+ HP (90% Street / 10% Autocross) Corvette with a 6 speed. If you factor in that I am not too concerned about ride quality and take power out of the equation, as the car I select will already have a modified drive train. I like the looks of both cars. Are the C5 worth the extra $$ or is it just a case of newer styling and a little more power from the factory.

What were the major handling and breaking improvements say between a 94 - 96 C4 compared to a ZO6 C5

Why does it seem so difficult to pull big hp numbers out of LT1's and LT4's?
LTx will make 400 rwhp with decent ported heads, intake, and a decent sized cam. Make it a 383 and it only gets better from there. LSx just make power so much easier than earlier SBC's its not even funny.

I would get a C5. They are better in every single way: less weight, better weight distribution, better brakes, better wheel hubs, better interior, better suspension (mainly the rear).
Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Having spend a few years in a nationally competitive C4 BSP car as well as currently having a Z06, the bottom line is that the Z is a better car to start with.

The best way I can quantify the difference is that a C4 in BSP trim (that is, wider wheels all the way around, stiffer springs and shocks, and bigger sway bars as well as with the AC removed, and a built LT motor with about 400 hp and offset bushings to get the necessary camber) is about as fast as a good SS Z06.

The BSP C4 really isn't streetable, but the SS Z is.

The lower weight and stiffer chassis of the Z, as well as the adjustability of the suspension simply make the Z a better car.

I still like the looks of a C4, kinda like a good Armani suit, never goes out of style, but life goes on, and the C5 Z is just that much better out of the box. With the C4 you will spend a lot of time and money getting to where you start with on the Z. Not that you couldn't do the C4 for probably a bit less than the C5, knowing that what you start out with is pretty cheap, but they are getting old now and you are going to need to go thru the entire car and that will surely be a lot of work and expense. Figure that you will have to rebuild the engine, trans, diff, and replace all of the suspension bushings, as well as get new springs, shocks, and sway bars. By the time you have done all that you will have probalby as much in the C4 as you would spend for an 02 Z, and with the Z you can slap a set of shocks and sticky tires on it and enjoy...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i autocrossed a base c4 for almost 2 years and now have a c5 coupe and i agree with what everyone said, the c5 is a much better starting point. the c4 i had was really fast right before i sold it (although im not in that competitive a region). if you are looking to get 450 hp, that's all the more reason to get a c5. lots and lots of people are getting that kind of power out of it while it would be pretty difficult to get out of a c4.

ive got to say though, i miss the looks of the c4. its a little smaller so some autocross elements are easier to deal with. and most of all the clam shell hood. makes working on the car so much better. despite these things, when i was considering a new vette, i knew i could afford a c5 so that pretty much made my decision for me. jmo. im sure you'll enjoy either of them.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I own a C4 and a few friends have C5's and C6's.. they are just better.. improvements are made every year.. I keep the C4 because I own it already.. no payments! Otherwise I would buy the newest vette I could afford..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Steve McQueen
5th Gear

I still like the look of the C4, but they reminds me of the late 1980's Mustang 5.0 cars. If you wanted them to really perform you had to upgrade almost everything. The drive train wasn't up to moderate hp levels and the handling and brakes were pretty weak out of the box.

The comments confirm what I suspected, that you would have to sink a lot of money into a C4 to reach the level of a ZO6.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Before you build anything, what sanctioning body and what class are you running in?

C4's & 5's run in different classes for the most part.

Or do you just want to be the fastest out there?

I run my car because I like it. It's become an old friend.

If I wanted to be the fastest out there, I'd just be a gokart.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

If I had a car that I didn't have to wrench on, I would get bored. I enjoy the work. I also enjoy having the car cost far far less in case it bites a wall.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If I had a car that I didn't have to wrench on, I would get bored. I enjoy the work. I also enjoy having the car cost far far less in case it bites a wall.

<-Having a blast with my "cash car".

Get notified of new replies

To C4 C5 Autocross Comparison

Quick Reply: C4 C5 Autocross Comparison