Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chase Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chase Cam Question

I have the Chase Cam PDR 100 and Bullet camera, video is great EXCEPT, the instrument panel flickers on and off. I saw another post that mentioned this but despite searches could not find it-anyone have a cure?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 08-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is because your digital instrument panel is not actually "on" all of the time. If you have analogue gauges they will look normal.

The way it works is that each digit is refreshed at x rate and really only 1 digit is on at a time. To you eye they are all on , but not to the camera which is only capturing ~ 30 frames/second == flicker. Same if you try to film you Computer monitor.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl
It is because your digital instrument panel is not actually "on" all of the time. If you have analogue gauges they will look normal.

The way it works is that each digit is refreshed at x rate and really only 1 digit is on at a time. To you eye they are all on , but not to the camera which is only capturing ~ 30 frames/second == flicker. Same if you try to film you Computer monitor.
RBL, believe me I am not being obnoxious, but huh? What does this mean and what do I do to solve it?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

What he is basically saying is you cannot fix it. Its a fact of life with the refresh rates of different displays versus your recording settings. The LCD display isn't actually a solid image, humans just cant see the flicker. However when you record stuff on the PVR, its only 30fps (30 still shots per second, then ran fast enough it looks fluid). Since its only getting 30 snap shots in time some of them are bound to catch the LCD in the non-lit state making it appear to off-on-off-on. I noticed this is happening on the display of my telemetry when I record with it in view.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff17
RBL, believe me I am not being obnoxious, but huh? What does this mean and what do I do to solve it?
It's not broken so you can't fix it. That is the way it is, like TomyBoy said.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
What he is basically saying is you cannot fix it. Its a fact of life with the refresh rates of different displays versus your recording settings. The LCD display isn't actually a solid image, humans just cant see the flicker. However when you record stuff on the PVR, its only 30fps (30 still shots per second, then ran fast enough it looks fluid). Since its only getting 30 snap shots in time some of them are bound to catch the LCD in the non-lit state making it appear to off-on-off-on. I noticed this is happening on the display of my telemetry when I record with it in view.
I appreciate the answers guys. Funny, I called Chase Cam and they told me they had never heard of this-maybe I didn't explain it properly. Also why do only a few of the car videos I have seen on line have this flicker?

Geoff
Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoff17
I appreciate the answers guys. Funny, I called Chase Cam and they told me they had never heard of this-maybe I didn't explain it properly. Also why do only a few of the car videos I have seen on line have this flicker?

Geoff
The ones you have seen must just have gotten lucky to be off sync. Analog gauges obviously don't suffer from this. My LCD display on my telemetry does it on my in-car video.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flickers, like how? The display on the PDR? They flicker depending on what patch you have loaded into the box, but I have not updated the software for it since sebring because it works.

In the beginning, if it lost camera signal, it would stop the recording, even if the signal was only lost for a split second. Now, I just get a little glitch, as opposed to an entire race lost due to a little flicker.

its a great setup, but can be a little fineckey at times
Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 AM
jlucas
Racer

Geoff, seems like a small video sample would help us make sure we are all on the same page with the advice we are giving.

Get notified of new replies

To Chase Cam Question

Quick Reply: Chase Cam Question