Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Drive On Trailer, or Use a Winch ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do You Drive On Trailer, or Use a Winch ???

So far I have driven to track days but a trailer is definitely in my future for 2008.

Still trying to decide between an open trailer or enclosed but whichever I go with both of my cars (05 C6 & 97 C5) are very low w/ minimal front clearance.

I'm curious how many of you drive your Corvette under it's own power up on your trailer and how many winch your car on your trailer ???

If you winch on - where do you attach the winch hook or cable, looks like if you were to attach to a lower a-arm or suspension, the cable would destroy the front spoiler ???

THANKS for any advice !!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mwvettec5
So far I have driven to track days but a trailer is definitely in my future for 2008.

Still trying to decide between an open trailer or enclosed but whichever I go with both of my cars (05 C6 & 97 C5) are very low w/ minimal front clearance.

I'm curious how many of you drive your Corvette under it's own power up on your trailer and how many winch your car on your trailer ???

If you winch on - where do you attach the winch hook or cable, looks like if you were to attach to a lower a-arm or suspension, the cable would destroy the front spoiler ???

THANKS for any advice !!!

Unless you have a race clutch, you can drive it on. Just have someone guide you up. Decrease the ramp angle and it shouldn't be a problem. I drove my '04 Z06 on to the open trailer and drive the C5 race car on to the enclosed all the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Unless you have a race clutch, you can drive it on. Just have someone guide you up. Decrease the ramp angle and it shouldn't be a problem. I drove my '04 Z06 on to the open trailer and drive the C5 race car on to the enclosed all the time.
THANKS - my 05 has a stock GM clutch but the 97 has a dual disc that's pretty much either "in" or "out" - that's why I was asking about winches.

Thanks again

Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

THANKS - my 05 has a stock GM clutch but the 97 has a dual disc that's pretty much either "in" or "out" - that's why I was asking about winches.

Thanks again

Then I'd winch the '97.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my pending trailer upgrades is a removable winch for the unexpected. You can buy a winch with the Sloan Kwik-Load from the factory, if you want to pay for it.

No problem driving up it, openning the door, and getting out. FWIW.

I had one event where a radiator hose popped off and I was very glad I had the trailer there! Just drove it up, drove it home and repaired it at my leasure in the garage. No big deal. I had another event where the battery died (they all seem to die after three years BTW) and once again I jumped it, drove it on the trailer and took her home.

One of these days a winch will be required and I see Harbor Freight has several low-cost models available. I carry a portable jumper that should have enough power to run the winch. Anybody know?

BTW, here's a picture of my trailer in the lowered position:

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TedDBere

No problem driving up it, openning the door, and getting out.

BTW, here's a picture of my trailer in the lowered position:
Do you leave your DS window down when you tow - or can you get out of the car through the OPEN door ???

Do you back your car onto the trailer ???

THANKS

Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
lbarnard
Racer

I have an open trailer with the removable fender so I avoid the Nascar exit!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

I LUV THIS FORUM !!!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you leave your DS window down when you tow - or can you get out of the car through the OPEN door ???

THANKS

When the trailer is lowered you can open the door and get in and out. When the trailer is in the up position you can remove the fender and open the door. I've only had to do that once in three years when I left my wallet in the vette and had to get it to get my money.

I always drive up the trailer front first.

Last edited by TedDBere; 09-09-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I drive my '01 Z on to my open Featherlite trailer. It came with removal fenders on both sides. I have thought about getting a winch for the time I can not drive the car on to the trailer, but I think when that happens I can find enough people to help me push it on.

One thing you need to take into consideration before buying your trailer is what are you going to tow it with.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes on my open trailer, even with the removable fender, the door could rub on the trailer tires. I stick a foot out and help "nudge" myself up therefore taking enough weight off the car to allow me to open the door and get out... Too chunky for NASCAR style

I have a winch also and attach to the tow hook on the front of the car. Sometimes I winch and sometimes I drive. The latter if I'm lazy.

Last edited by Z06cool; 09-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive on with my enclosed and the open trailer I used before that.

When I blew an engine at VIR - Toby pulled the car on through the access door with a tow strap - but if the car rolls there will be plenty of people to help you get it on the trailer - in my experience. If it does not roll it better be a good wench - I mean winch to get it aboard..

I can get out/in NASCAR style no problem even though I am about as slim as ZO6Cool (more flexible apparently) - but I often use my pit helpers/co-drivers to do that part....
Old 09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I blew my motor the first day I had my trailer at the track 4-5 yeaars ago. Call tow truck and he go in front of my trialer and winched it in for 50 bucks. Nice removable winch is always good.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Harbor Frieght 40.00, 2000lb cable, elec/manual/winch throw away...had mine for 3 years with no problems.

Ed
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Gotta do that next... don't think I could push the car on the trailer.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

THANKS

One way to avoid the NASCAR exit is to have a 12 foot long 2.8 lashed to the drivers side of the trailer. This lifts the drivers side door just enough to clear fenders on most trailers. I am lucky as my door clears the fender on my trailer (you can get them built that way).

Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always driven the car up, but lately it's been winched around in everything!! Tow hooks are your friend when winching!

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Do You Drive On Trailer, or Use a Winch ???

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I drive mine up on an open trailer and can open the door to get out. I do drive upon 2 2x6s on the drives side so I get enough clearance
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
anotherone
Pro

I have a sloan quick load and driving on is no issue. The drivers door can also be opened for exit. Its like the grey one in previous post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Have a Warn winch in the trailer, with a pull out controller, start the car leave it idling in neutral so that have easy steering and walk it up the ramp , have marked placement of wheel centers on floor of trailer , so that when its lined up reach in and turn it off, very easy not much contortion, The winch has come in very handy , at times when car is not easy to drive ( blown engine) ,

For the small cost , very worth it

Quick Reply: Do You Drive On Trailer, or Use a Winch ???