Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
OK, but driving the Elise you will be looking at a lot of Vette rear ends!!!

Frank Gonzalez
briefly
Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
For a C5 you are DEAD ON! I would rather replace 10 rotors than 1 set of pads, but the C6Z is a different animal. Rotors are $130ea. If I could get 4 days or 2 weekend out of a set of paddlets, I'd JUMP for joy! One of the reasons I am getting fustrated with this thing.
BBK
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a C5 you are DEAD ON! I would rather replace 10 rotors than 1 set of pads, but the C6Z is a different animal. Rotors are $130ea. If I could get 4 days or 2 weekend out of a set of paddlets, I'd JUMP for joy! One of the reasons I am getting fustrated with this thing.
Yeah, I hear ya. I know my empirical data doesn't directly translate to you, but I would imagine that if you compared the XP-12 padlets to whatever else is available, you'd see similar wear characteristics, relatively speaking. That said, maybe the padlet design is just inherently flawed in that you have large heat buildup in a very small place, therefore causing accelerated wear rates? I dunno... Either way, it's gotta be a PITA to change 12 pads instead of 4...

Good luck to ya!
FT
Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
BBK
Right, just what I need, dump another $3000k into a $65 car to go even faster. If I can get 3-4 days out of Carbotech's, I will be happy for now.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trumper Z06

Brake shudder seems to vary from set to set. The shudder range has been from "very mild" to... Whoa @ Road Atlanta, forcing early braking going into turn 10 A.

Sorry, I won't put up with shudder. It is annoying and dangerous. I could never count on the brakes to be there at the end of a straight -- that's close to 170 MPH at the back straight at VIR in my C6Z.

I think it is disingenious of Carbotech to blame poor bed-in when shudder is a well known problem with their product. Other race pads (specially Hawk and PFC) don't require such exacting bed-in procedures.

Carbotech gives free brake pads to a number of racers who then sing the praises of the product. There are some in this Forum. To that I say: It's a questionable marketing practice for an inferior product.

Over and out...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

I ran the Carbos for the first time at my last event and now that you mention it, there was shudder. I was surprised at first and thought I was getting into the ABS. The brakes worked very well though! Is there another non metallic type pad that is very good with no shudder and noncorrosive? Cobalt?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Sorry, I won't put up with shudder. It is annoying and dangerous. I could never count on the brakes to be there at the end of a straight -- that's close to 170 MPH at the back straight at VIR in my C6Z.

I think it is disingenious of Carbotech to blame poor bed-in when shudder is a well known problem with their product. Other race pads (specially Hawk and PFC) don't require such exacting bed-in procedures.

Carbotech gives free brake pads to a number of racers who then sing the praises of the product. There are some in this Forum. To that I say: It's a questionable marketing practice for an inferior product.
Over and out...

Frank Gonzalez

Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

If I read this correctly, you got a totally of 8 days out of 1 set of brake pads?
I WISH !!!

VIR... 2 days with the NCM group/followed by 2 days with Chin.

This was in July.

Monday & tuesday, NCM... Wed. & Thursday was with Chin.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Right, just what I need, dump another $3000k into a $65 car to go even faster. If I can get 3-4 days out of Carbotech's, I will be happy for now.
You got the Z to go faster. You know it never ends Matt. Look at it this way when you are done sell the BBK fpr 60%-70% back. Then you the car it just keeps showing flaws.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
briefly
Not so sure about that...Top Gear (The Stig) tested the stock Exige S (supercharged) which is about 80lbs heavier than the Elise and only has 220hp vs, a 400hp C6.

Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Not so sure about that...Top Gear (The Stig) tested the stock Exige S (supercharged) which is about 80lbs heavier than the Elise and only has 220hp vs, a 400hp C6.

Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
tested where? 3 seconds is huge
Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

The track

http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/09/1.html

the times

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I am not a paid Carbotech endorser - but I am willing to be (or any other good brake pad company competitor that will do it for me!). I have run XP8 to XP12. XP12s do not last very long compared to XP10s or XP8s so I have not looked into any more agressive than that. I have been more than satisfied with their performance. They sure are not cheap.

I am sure not a waxer but I hate pads that destroy my A mold GS wheels for no other benefit I can see on my lap times.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
rickeolis
Instructor

That's exactly what I'm trying to say too.
My Hawks ate my wheels up, and gave me basically the same stopping power and life as the Panthers.
I might try the Brembo pads soon to see what they do. I know a full set of $$$ Brembos stop well.

-Rick-

Last edited by rickeolis; 10-30-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
anotherone
Pro

This thread bites. There doesn't seem to be any agreement on anything and my z51 is arriving in 2 weeks. I want a long lasting ,no dust cheap pad!!!!!! I have 12/10's now and dont like the shudder but it seems each mfg has a downside. Somebody help.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by anotherone
This thread bites. There doesn't seem to be any agreement on anything and my z51 is arriving in 2 weeks. I want a long lasting ,no dust cheap pad!!!!!! I have 12/10's now and dont like the shudder but it seems each mfg has a downside. Somebody help.
If you have a stock Z51 caliper's, then you have a much wider variety of pads to use. I would go with Wilwood's or PFC 01's for the track for that caliper.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I've run XP8/XP9(dc'ed)/XP12.

The 9's and 8's were fine, but the XP12's were done after one easy weekend and had more taper than any pad I've ever used.

IMO XP12's have extremely poor longevity.

Get notified of new replies

To Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
J.Yo
Intermediate

I ran my stock Z51 with the C5 rotors at VIR this summer (94+ degrees F for three days), using the XP12/XP10 combo recommended by Carbotech. I did notice that the front pads wore down faster than I expected, but I still left the track with a very favorable experience with the brakes. One of the other things I like is my car is easier to clean up after a track event when I use the Carbotechs, as compared to the other race pads I have used.

In my experience, the only time I've ever experienced brake shudder with Carbotechs, is when I did a pad swap from street pads (metallic based) to the Carbotechs, without dressing the rotors (sanding the old transfer film off). Right now, running the C5 rotor combo allows me to have a dedicated set of rotors that only see Carbotech materials. I don't have the stomach to trash the Z51 rotors, nor do I wish to keep replacing them at a much higher cost than the C5 rotors.

I was wondering if you guys with the brake shudder issue are doing a straight up pad swap, or are you also removing the transfer layer from the previous pad from your rotor, prior to bedding in the Carbotechs? You guys think that may be it?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM
anotherone
Pro

yepers that could be it ; also for some unknown reason I get pretty good life from the 12/10's.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

I change both pads & rotors for the track... and bed the Carbotech's in following the vendors instructions.

Having gone thru 5 sets of front pads (XP12) & 2 sets of rear(XP10) Ive experienced very slight shudder on 2 sets of fronts, mild shudder on 2 sets,

and a WHOA... gotta brake early... shudder on one set.

Rear pads don't seem to be a problem

Quick Reply: Wear rates of different Carbotech Compounds...