Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCWS - IRL Merger Finally Done (?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CCWS - IRL Merger Finally Done (?)

Robin Miller is reporting that CCWS teams have been notified to stop working on their Panoz race cars and to expect delivery of Dallara chassis shortly in expectation of an announced merger agreement. TG has offered CCWS teams free chassis and engines plus $1.2 mil subsidy if they run the entire 2008 race schedule.

2008 IRL season officially starts this weekend with testing at Homestead with the 1st race Mar. 29th

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...car-deal-done/
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I really hope this happens.

Sheesh all that $$$ spent on the new chassis

BTW
There's a tread going in CFOT

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1945244

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
from Autoweek
Champ Car/IRL deal appears close to done
02/19/08, 9:01 am et

Reports of a deal between the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series have reached their highest peak ever.
Champ Car teams were told to stop working on their Panoz chassis and prepare for delivery of the Dallaras they will use in the IndyCar Series in 2008 within days.

The first Indy-car test of the new season is scheduled for Feb. 27-28 at Homestead-Miami Speedway in Florida, where Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George is expected to hold a news conference if he hasn't already done so by then.
So many questions now abound, from the number of Champ Car castoffs that will make the switch to the IRL to the number of Champ Car races George will add to his series. But there's a lot of work to be done if the deal comes to fruition.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

That's awesome! I've been watching this for the past two weeks and considered starting a thread titled "Open Wheel Merger Watch", but then thought against it because every time they've talked about this in the past, everything has fallen through.

I know that Champ Car has spent a lot of money on their chassis, but it's peanuts compared to the rest of the money that they've spent to try and keep the series going.

I didn't feel so good about a merger in the past because TG was so intent on keeping his series an all oval series. Now that he's basically turned the series into CART lite, I think that this can work. I'd definitely like to see more races on the schedule and I'd love to see more road courses on the schedule. I'd also love to see the cars get a little faster.

What they should do IMO is turbocharge their car. That way they can up the boost for the road courses and limit it for the ovals. It's like a more technical restrictor plate.

Champ Car had a lot of great ideas and I hope that TG is open enough to considering them for the future of the series.

The only thing that majorly sucks about this is that there won't be any Champ Car at Road America this year.

Last edited by xsiveone; 02-19-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Panoz must be happy they will claim bankruptcy and walk form the contracts at the tracks too.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Panoz must be happy they will claim bankruptcy and walk form the contracts at the tracks too.
Yeah.. They are definitely losers here. Unless... Panoz can develop a chassis to compete with the Dallaras. I'd love to see different manufacturers back in the series. They can have Honda and Mazda/Cosworth if they want.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Steve49841
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year at Road America I saw the largest crowd in a lot of years for the ALMS/Champ Car weekend. I thought it was a great combination and would hate to see it changed. Hopefully if the merger happens the powers that be will keep the program together. What the heck does TG care where his money comes from (oval or road course) unless he's a total dumb a$$.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve49841
Last year at Road America I saw the largest crowd in a lot of years for the ALMS/Champ Car weekend. I thought it was a great combination and would hate to see it changed. Hopefully if the merger happens the powers that be will keep the program together. What the heck does TG care where his money comes from (oval or road course) unless he's a total dumb a$$.
If there's a merger it won't happen this season unfortunately. There's a race in Kentucky on August 9th. I'm guessing that it's a Saturday night race because the RA Champ Car race is scheduled for August the 10th.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve49841
There was alot more people on Saturday for ALMS than there was on Sunday for CCWS. I think ALMS was the real draw. I think IRL and ALMS would draw some very large crowds.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If this merger actually occurs, I might actually start watching this series again. I gave up on both years ago...

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Steve49841
Advanced

There was a big crowd for ALMS on that Saturday night, everyone was standing out in the pouring rain and having a blast. I'll have to admit that we hit the road before Champ Car was done on Sunday, ALMS is much more fun to watch. On a strictly scientific note, I noticed the quality of female fan improved some with the open wheel group.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

ALMS was definatly the draw at RA, you could just see the crowd was bigger. Although the way people we partying on Sat. night that may have had something to do with it.

I'm assuming that the merger talk is why RA decided to combine the two races last year, this way people won't feel slighted now that it's "just" ALMS.

If anything you came for the ALMS race and it was just kind of a bonus to have Champ Car after.
I can't say that I was a big fan of Champ Car besides Sebastian and Tracy can anyone name 5 more drivers???? I'd be hard pressed, hopefully this will make American open wheel racing more appealing.
Plus it's not all going to be about Danica anymore!!!
I'm so sick of hearing about Danica yes she's cute, yeah she can drive but until she wins something shut up!!!

Rant off
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Man I hope this happens.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

I hope it happens and Panoz/Elan goes under/burns down for what they are trying to do in FF2000.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Everyone is expecting news today about this once Kevin Kalkhoven returns from Europe.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Default IRL and Champ Car merger near completion

Latest news:

A couple signatures is all that's keeping the IRL and Champ Car apart.

IRL founder Tony George and Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven are meeting Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis and according to a Champ Car spokesman are expected to sign a deal that would end the 12-year rift between in American open-wheel racing.

"Our expectations are that they will cover the final points of the agreement and, if all goes well, they will be prepared to make an announcement on Friday," said Champ Car spokesman David Higdon.

IRL spokesman Fred Nation said there are "four issues they will try to hammer out by the end of the night." He did not identify the issues.

Champ Car will essentially be absorbed by the IRL, a series created by George that began competition in 1996. The two split the fanbase and fought for sponsors, drivers and teams.

Before the proposed agreement, Champ Car was set to begin its season April 29 at Long Beach, Calif., with no more than 17 cars. The IndyCar Series was in danger of starting its season March 29 at Homestead, Fla., with as few as 16.

With the deal apparently nearing completion, it appeared Wednesday between six and 10 cars from the Champ Car side would take the offer from George of a free Honda engine lease program, free Dallara chassis and $1.2 million in team incentives.

Several Champ Car teams are not expected to take George's offer because, even with the engines, cars and incentives, it would take an additional $2 million or more to compete in the IRL. The teams that don't have the sponsorship or backing to continue will either close down or move to sports car racing, which is less costly.

Obviously, those who would take the deal see it as a winning proposition.

"I believe it would be a stronger series again with a lot of solid events," said Eric Bachelart, a former open-wheel driver and now owner of Conquest Racing in the Champ Car series.

"What the IRL has is a good package, with the Indianapolis 500 and some other things that will help attract sponsors. There will be lots of cars, lots of teams. A good show."

Like everyone else involved, though, Bachelart was waiting to hear a confirmation that the deal is done.

"I'm ready to move any time soon and enter two cars in the IRL," Bachelart said. "I believe this is the best option to go that way. And, with Champ Car, it has lost a lot of credibility at this point."

CART went into bankruptcy in January 2004 and was bought by Kalkhoven, Gerald Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi, all team owners in what is now Champ Car. They have since added Dan Pettit, another team owner, as a partner.

Led by Kalkhoven and Forsythe, Champ Car decided to abandon the traditional open-wheel ovals and focus its efforts on city street races, hoping the carnival atmosphere surrounding these events would assure success, and on racing outside the U.S., away from the IRL.

It worked, to a point. Champ Car's most successful events are the street, airport or road races in Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto, Australia and Mexico City. And most of the races outside the U.S., including several events in Europe, did make money.

Overall, the series made little impact in America, its home base.

The impending deal is expected to include Long Beach, Edmonton and Australia in 2008, with negotiations for several other current Champ Car events to be added to the IRL schedule in 2009, likely including Toronto and Mexico City.

The unification and addition of the three races would give the IRL a solid 19-race schedule for 2008. Nation said the organization would then take "a clean sheet of paper" in building its 2009 schedule.

Other Champ Car teams expected to make the move include series powerhouse Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, which has won four straight series championships, Kalkhoven, Pettit and former CART champion Jimmy Vasser's PKV team, Forsythe Championship Racing, Derrick Walker Racing and Dale Coyne Racing. Several others could also be part of the deal.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...p-merger_N.htm
Old 02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Default George, Kalkhoven down to the final strokes

The announcement may not happen today.

Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven are expected to meet on Thursday in hopes of resolving the final remaining issues which would lead to a unification of open-wheel racing in North America.

Kalkhoven, who is co-owner of the Champ Car series, says he doesn't see any insurmountable hurdles in the much-talked about deal.

"It's just grinding out the details," he tells the Indianapolis Star.

IRL spokesperson Fred Nation added he does not expect an announcement to come on Thursday.

"There is still no deal, they're still negotiating, and there will be no announcement (today)," he told the newspaper.

Champ Car driver Paul Tracy says he's not even sure a unification will take place this week, let alone this season.

"All I know is that three days ago there was a plan for me to go get ready to drive an IRL car; that there was going to be a merger," he tells Sun Media. "Now (yesterday) I was told: 'Don't bother coming to Indy' because the ***** are all back in the air."

"I don't know what the hell is going on. It seems to change from hour to hour."

Tracy adds he's also been informed to show up for a schedule Champ Car test at Laguna Seca in two weeks time.

With time lines for a merger becoming very short, both series are continuing to make preparations for the start of their respective seasons.

Jim Michaelian, the president and chief executive officer of the Long Beach Grand Prix, tells the Star he's heard about one option which would see Champ Car hold its season opening race on the California coast while the IRL teams race in Japan on the same weekend. Champ Car drivers would then receive the same number of points allocated by the IRL for the Long Beach event.

One of the initial hurdles to a Champ Car-IRL merger was the contractual obligation that the Long Beach race be staged on April 20 - the same weekend as the IRL's Japan race. IRL officials travelled to Japan to work out a compromise, which could include moving the race to later in the season or cancelling it in 2008.

Champ Car owner Derrick Walker, who was already planning an IRL programme this year, says running two separate events on the same weekend under a so-called "unified" umbrella doesn't make much sense.

"We're already going to be way behind the IRL guys, so now we're going to run two IRL races, put away those cars, dust off our Panoz and tow them to California for a one-off race?" he tells SpeedTV.com.

"I wonder how many guys will turn up? This is why it would be nice if the people in charge would have little discussions with the people who have to live with these decisions. Somebody is going to have to place some big money on the table."

As for the fate of the Canadian Champ Car events, only Edmonton has been mentioned as a possible new addition to the IRL schedule in 2008 even though its July 20th date currently conflicts with an IRL race at Mid-Ohio.

Toronto's July 6th date clashes with the IRL race at Watkins Glen, which is contractually obligated to be held at that time. Charlie Johnstone, CEO of the Grand Prix Association of Toronto, says he'd be willing to take a one year hiatus if it means a unified series returning to the streets of Toronto.

"If you're asking: Would we be willing to go cold for a year and then be back in 2009? Absolutely," he tells the Star.

The Mont-Tremblant event in Quebec on June 29 conflicts with an IRL race the night before in Richmond.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the updates X. Still hope this happens....

Get notified of new replies

To CCWS - IRL Merger Finally Done (?)

Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
As for the fate of the Canadian Champ Car events, only Edmonton has
been mentioned as a possible new addition to the IRL schedule in 2008
even though its July 20th date currently conflicts with an IRL race at
Mid-Ohio.
On behalf of race fans here in the Edmonton market,
I think it is safe to say we are flexible regarding dates ...

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Default Merger of racing series called closer than ever

Latest: This is from three hours ago.

For a few hours at Daytona International Speedway during Speedweeks, the buzz in the media center was of unification -- the coming together of the Indy Racing League and Champ Car (formerly CART) after 12 years of open-wheel insanity, in which the sport in America suffered untold damage while stock car racing soared in popularity.

We had heard that the IRL's Tony George, owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven were ready to bury the hatchet, and not in each other's skulls.

It was great news, we thought, and long overdue.

The euphoria disappeared when Kalkhoven went ballistic over what he considered to be a leak over merger negotiations and said Champ Car's 2008 season would go ahead as planned.

You could feel the disappointment of the racing press, which had hoped to cover an Indianapolis 500 that again featured the best drivers from a single, unified series, much like during the golden years of open-wheel racing between the 1960s and early '90s, when the sport boasted names like Foyt, Andretti, Johncock, Rutherford, Unser, Mears, Sullivan and Luyendyk.

Well, it appears a deal will happen, if ongoing talks in Indianapolis between George and Kalkhoven on Thursday night were any indication.

Under unification, the IRL and Champ Car would run a combined 2008 schedule, with our very own Belle Isle hosting open-wheel's best over Labor Day weekend.

"We're closer than we've ever been," Champ Car spokesman David Higdon told the Associated Press on Thursday.

However, a joint statement issued late Thursday by the IRL and Champ Car suggested that more time will be needed for an agreement.

"The ongoing talks between the Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series will continue into at least Friday in regards to the unification of open-wheel racing," the statement read. "Any confirmation of unification will be made once an agreement is in place. There are no plans for a news conference at this time. Much progress has been made toward unifying the sport."

Talks have centered on a proposal in which some teams from Champ Car would blend into the IRL's IndyCar Series. But things have gone south before when they looked solid. Hopefully, this time the warring parties will settle on an honorable agreement.

Here's hoping Tony and Kevin can halt the skid and get back on track.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1064/sports16
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Default Open-Wheel Unification Announcement Postponed

Here's a Robin Miller article from a couple of hours ago.

The official unification announcement of open wheel racing will not be Friday and might not happen until Monday.

Following six hours of meetings and dinner Thursday between Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven at the downtown Hyatt Hotel, word came down there would be no press conference at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Friday morning.

It had tentatively been set for 11:45 a.m.

“I don’t think there’s any fatal problem, they just didn’t quite get everything done,” said Fred Nation, the IMS vice president of communications.

“They stopped for the evening and they’ll resume in the morning.”

Kalkhoven flew in from England and arrived in Indianapolis shortly before 4 o’clock, where his Champ Car attorneys were gathered with the IRL’s legal counsel. They broke for dinner at 7:30 and were joined by George.

Prior to their meeting, Kalkhoven had been quoted as saying all that was left to ending the 12-year split was “grinding out the details.”

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ent-postponed/

Quick Reply: CCWS - IRL Merger Finally Done (?)