Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call to action. Need everyone's help on this one...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Call to action. Need everyone's help on this one...

Just received a couple emails from a good friend and big Corvette enthusiest. Hope everyone can help.....

Good evening,
I received the following Notice from the Alameda County Board of Supervisors the other day and today received a call from our friends at Altamont Motorsports Park asking us for help!

It seems that the neighborhood coalition has succeeded in eroding the Agreement and Use Permit that Altamont Motorsports Park had and now they are down to only 4 days of operation per month. These are days not nights. The facility cannot remain in business with this limited use. Now they are again appealing the decision to reduce the use to zero.

This action affects all of us who are involved in motorsports. It will eliminate the oval races, autocrosses, drifting and track time for practice or setting up race cars. It affects YOU!

The management of Altamont Motorsports Park is asking for our help. Please write a letter to the Board of Supervisors today!!
Alameda County Board of Supervisors
1221 Oak Street, Fifth Floor
Oakland, CA. 94612-4222
Please reference:
Public Hearing, Altamont Motorsports Park.

OR:

If you can attend the Public Hearing at 11:00AM on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 (NEW TIME AND DATE) at the above address, sign up and say your piece. Let them know the Corvette community is very upset. Altamont is a valuable resource to the entire community. The money spent by competitors and spectators is an important asset to the community. Also the facility offers a safe place for young people to race their cars in a controlled environment.

Thank you for your involvement and for helping keep this valuable resource in business.

Keith Mendia
Business Owner and
Motorsports Enthusiast

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING - ALTAMONT MOTORSPORTS PARK

NOTICE IS HEREBY given that the Alameda County Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing to consider the appeal of Mark Cohen from the decision of the Planning Commission at its public hearing on January 22, 2008 not to pursue revocation of C-5720, which governs the raceway, pursuant to Section 17.54.070 of the Zoning Ordinance. Altamont Motorsports Park is located at 17001 Midway Road, east side, approximately 2,200 feet south of Highway I-580, unincorporated Midway area, Assessor's Parcel Number: 099B-7675-005-07.

IF YOU CHALLENGE the County's action in court, you may be limited to only those issues you or someone else raise at the public hearing described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors at or prior to the public hearing.

SAID PUBLIC HEARING WILL be held at 11:00AM on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 (NEW TIME AND DATE), in the Board Chambers of the Alameda County Board of Supervisors, 1221 Oak Street, fifth floor, Oakland, CA 94612-4222.

ALL PERSONS INTERESTED in this matter may appear and be heard at this meeting. If you have any questions please contact the Planning Department at (510) 670-5400.

CRYSTAL K. GRAFF
CLERK OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

HOPE EVERYONE GETS INVOLVED. IF NOT, BYE BYE ALTAMONT!

Last edited by doje; 03-16-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: ANOTHER NEW DATE
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BUMP FOR A GOOD CAUSE

Randy
Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Altamont offers $75 trackdays during the week. Sure there's a wall around the course, but where else in the Bay Area can you drive your car for such a cheap price. I can't go to the meeting since I'm working that day but a letter is worth it to help keep a valuable resource available. Besides, this isn't about noise or anything like that. It's about one ******** who didn't get to buy the property trying to ruin the owners.

Dog
Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i am growing weary of people moving in around a pre-existing business/land owner, then demanding they stop what they were doing. happens here in vegas all the time.
good luck to you with reversing this crap.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:59 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
BUMP FOR A GOOD CAUSE

Randy
Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
DOMSCOM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cost of Freedom

I would heed wisely the plea for a united front. Our precious freedom to participate in our sport is under attack form Environ-***** to community do-gooders.
If you buy a home next to a church, school yard, amusement park,or race track, you are living next to "An Attractive Nuiscence." Under the guise of quality of life issues, the surrounding homeowners want to change the character and living conditions to suit their perceived notion of what their community should be. They should have thought about that before they moved in. We lost on Long Island and do not have one track left...including BridgeHampton.
The right to assembly, the right to pursuit of happiness is protected. To give into the wants of a few to suppress the freedoms of those that were there prior to and granted to operate upon the purchase of the land and preexisting Zoning laws, is a break in the implied contract with the racetrack and the county they reside in.I am not saying you should be unreasonable to community concerns. However, they should not be allowed to run "rough shod" over the sport we enjoy.
Look around folks, your freedoms are being eroded a piece at time....when will they call for the complete shut down of the track to replace it with a "meditation Park?"....it's up to you.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Meeting Date Postponed

ATTENTION: THE BOARD OF SUPERVISOR'S MEETING ON THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL 11AM ON MARCH 18TH. THAT IS ONE WEEK LATER THAN THE ORIGINAL MEETING WAS SCHEDULED. THIS GIVES US EXTRA TIME TO GET MORE LETTERS IN. PLEASE RUSH OUT THOSE LETTERS. HERE IS A SAMPLE LETTER THAT A FRIEND SENT IN....

Board of Supervisors:

I was more than disappointed to hear that the Altamont Motorsports Park is being pushed out of existence through the use of restrictive use permits. I hope that I don't have to remind the board that the raceway has been in existence for decades. Most, if not all, of the neighborhood coalition purchased their property with the knowledge of the raceway's existence. I would also assume that their properties were purchased at a discount because of the presence of the raceway. At the financial level, this is a grab to improve property values by forcing the closing of the raceway.

But this is more than just the issue of unfair business practices. Altamont Motorsports Park is a community asset. Not unlike a neighborhood baseball, soccer, or football field, the raceway is the last remaining automotive playground in the Bay Area. The board does not need to be interested in racing to understand that it is more than just a sport. It is a place where mechanically inclined enthusiasts can design, experiment, and test ideas on automobiles. Many of the most famous automotive engineers and designers in Detroit "played" in places like Altamont when they were young and ambitious. Take Altamont away and you silence that, and we already are struggling to keep engineering and science relevant in the United States.

I'll finish with another argument that I'm sure you've also heard, and that is, if an outlet like Altamont Motorsports Park does not exist you will ultimately see some backlash with young people taking to the streets with irresponsible driving. Alameda County already has a problem with sideshows and drag racing in industrial complexes. Close Altamont and the problem will be exacerbated.

I urge you to keep Altamont Motorsports Park a relevant asset to the Bay Area.

Thank you for your attention,

Cris Schiebold
Engineer
Automotive Enthusiast
Old 03-16-2008, 03:21 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Here we go again.....

Here we go again.....

3/16/08

Good Morning

Once again the Board of Supervisors has rescheduled the Public Hearing regarding Altamont Motorsports Park. The latest and hopefully the final date is as follows:

Tuesday, March 25, 2008
11:00AM

Board Chambers of the Alameda County Board of Supervisors
1221 Oak Street, Fifth Floor
Oakland, CA. 96612-4222

Please try to attend and speak in defense of Altamont. This continual rescheduling may be a ploy to reduce the support for Altamont at the hearing. If so, let's not let that happen.

Thank you again for your support of Altamont Motorsports Park.

Keith Mendia
Business Owner
Motorsports Enthusiast
Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 PM
kowalski340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump to help an important issue!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Ah, ALTAMONT,,,, Ernie Ervans home track,,,,Also the first oval track that I hit the wall at.... under the starters position up above the track. When I came too,,, I heard a voice from above, though it was god asking me if I was OK. It was Chris, the track starter,,, whew,,not good to have god talk directly to you.
These tracks are the backbone of racing. They need our help. everyone, help if you can. TTT
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

ttt
Old 06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

any status updates ????
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Cancelling meeting is an old tactic on the part of local governments. The idea is to keep cancelling the meetings until people willing to make comments or testify get weary of having to re-schedule their own time to show up. Or no longer getting the information as to when the meeting will actually be held.

Once the Board figures that all of the cancellations were enough to make people not wat to attend, they finally hold the meeting, only a few people show up to testify and then the vote easily swings in favor of pulling the use permit.

After that, it's a simple matter of the behind-the scenes dealing with developers to buy up the land and build houses/condos/shopping malls/trailer parks or whatever.

Unfortunately, that type of thing seems to happen all over. It's all about the increase in tax revenue that comes in from new development.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

with today's housing market, I doubt their building homes, only trailer parks.

Get notified of new replies

To Call to action. Need everyone's help on this one...

Quick Reply: Call to action. Need everyone's help on this one...