Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AND in ALMS the usual BS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
RMVette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
No Phil. It doesn't.

Rome was'nt built in a day. and from the guys I talk to they would leave the Speed GT in a minute if there was ANY other sprint venue available for them to race in.

The tires appear to be a about 3 seconds down right now until they release the new version for Utah. The car/driver combination accounts for almost 2 seconds. But who really knows until we get the package complete in every respect.

If it was really that easy to develop a brand new car and we hit the podium in our first 3 races, then it would not be worth much.

Remember in 2004 on my return to the World Challenge Series, we brought the new Corvette C5 out on the maiden voyage to Sebring and qualified it on the out side pole. Now that WAS easy.

And in Grand Am in 2002 in our FIRST race we brought our Corvette to Daytona for the Paul Revere 250 and Won the race! So there you have it. Some times it is easy and some times it is not.

Keep the faith.

LG
Keep working hard Lou! GT2 is a brawl with all of the different teams involved. It is nice to see a Corvette and the other american cars like the Ford GT and Viper in there mixing it up with the European Cars.

You guys wanted a challenge. Hell, if you wanted it easy you could have just bought an old Lola prototype, you could be top 3 in P1 every race! Best of luck the rest of the year.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

If it was really that easy to develop a brand new car and we hit the podium in our first 3 races, then it would not be worth much.

LG
Honestly, I am happy to see Lou fighting hard out there and learning to develop the car, driver, and team...and do it in a brand new TOP NOTCH series in a different racing format with the top drivers from around the world...if he went out and won every week right away, then what???? I would be bored to tears.

Anway, there also seems to be so many PO'd people about the ALMS, why? I thought the Long Beach race was great! TV is TV, they show what they can and usually its based on who is paying them (ever notice how many porsche and audi commercials there are during the race???). I think the LMP1/2 competition is great...now maybe penske and acura should be lmp1 cars, but its great racing now with vastly different technologies. The GT2 racing is awesome......now, GT1, where is it? They need to get some more cars in that class. I do not pay much attention to the European series, but it sounds like they have a good GT1 showing?

just my .02...cant wait to get to Rd Atl in the fall and see Lou in action. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
I do not pay much attention to the European series, but it sounds like they have a good GT1 showing?

just my .02...cant wait to get to Rd Atl in the fall and see Lou in action. Good luck!
At the LMS season opener at Barcelona there were 15 LMP1, 15 LMP2, 5 LMGT1 and 10+ LMGT2 entries

At the FIA GT series opener at Silverstone there were about 15 ea. GT1 and GT2 entries
Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 AM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by joemoia
Article in Autoweek on the future of ALMS. Note, the article states the the new proposed LMP evo regs are dead, but Steve Wesoloski, head of GM Road Racing said at LB that this is not true (but then all you ever get is GM propanganda at the Hospitality Q & A's)

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...OTORSPORTSNEWS
Hmm, I fail to find that statement in the link provided.

Well both Tim Mayer and Scott Atherton, IMSA & ALMS #1 & 2, have stated that the rumor of the EVO being dead is not correct.
When asked if indeed the EVO regs were dead, he said, “I don’t see them as dead – I see them as evolving.” From this discussion, it is plain to see that the Prototype class will be seeing changes in the future, all which should be good for the sport. Not massive and sweeping changes, but changes that will allow manufacturers to compete in a way that suits they desires. “If a manufacturer wants a car to have strong styling cues, reminiscent of a street car, we hope to have the regulations in place to allow for that and still allow them to be competitive.” There are strong discussions concerning future regs that will allow further development along the lines of the Aston Martin Lola coupe, which had a stunning debut at the opening round of the LMS recently. By working with the regs and making the manufacturers aware and agreeable to them, the sky is the limit in the category.
These are direct quotes from people directly involved with the rules making and not as DSC put it
Gary Watkins at Autosport spoke to M. Daniel Poissenot of the ACO at Barcelona last weekend, and Watkins concludes that “it (the ACO) has all but abandoned plans for a new generation of prototypes”.
a conclusion by a third party.

L.P.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Hmm, I fail to find that statement in the link provided.
You are correct, it wasn't in that article. It was in the Competition section of the same (4/21) print issue of Autoweek under the headline "ACO JUNKS NEW PROTOTYPES" and it also quoted D. Poissenot. Its not in the online issue of Autoweek.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks if the dump new prototypes no new Vette. Can LG's car be made lighter or is there a minimum weight? If so I wonder what can be knocked off?

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-24-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a 6L engine, minimum weight is 1175kg (2590lbs), and you get a pair of 27.8mm restrictors. Go up to 125kg, and you get 28.4mm restrictors, etc.

ACO/IMSA reserves the right to "balance the field" too.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

You are correct, it wasn't in that article. It was in the Competition section of the same (4/21) print issue of Autoweek under the headline "ACO JUNKS NEW PROTOTYPES" and it also quoted D. Poissenot. Its not in the online issue of Autoweek.
And you are telling me there is a direct quote of D.Poissenot saying that there will be no new "EVO" prototypes, in the article?! Hmm, I doubt that very seriously!

L.P.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
And you are telling me there is a direct quote of D.Poissenot saying that there will be no new "EVO" prototypes, in the article?! Hmm, I doubt that very seriously!

L.P.
Actually, I'm not trying to tell YOU anything
Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TLGunman
With a 6L engine, minimum weight is 1175kg (2590lbs), and you get a pair of 27.8mm restrictors. Go up to 125kg, and you get 28.4mm restrictors, etc.

ACO/IMSA reserves the right to "balance the field" too.
While 1175kg is the minimum weight at 6.0L displacement, you need to run at 1225kg to use the wider wheels. The min. weight for the LGM C6 is 1225kg.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

While 1175kg is the minimum weight at 6.0L displacement, you need to run at 1225kg to use the wider wheels. The min. weight for the LGM C6 is 1225kg.
Couldn't get there. We are at 1275kg at the moment with a half mm larger restrictor to match the 1275kg weight.

See you at the races.

LG
Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 824 Likes on 393 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Moval49er

GT2 would be a logical place for Corvette Racing to spend a lot of money - supporting Lou and others, or doing factory teams, or better yet, both. It would be a much better testing ground for real world Corvette design, and it would relate well to the Corvettes on the street.

GT1 is only sensible if contested - as it will be at Lemans, I hope.
I saw a good video with Lou talking about the GT2 class and Doug explaining the GT1 class. There is not a lot of the innovative ideas that comes from Corvette Racing allowed in the GT1 class, that would not be allowed in GT2 plus lets not forget Corvette Racing has not only the ALMS series in mind, but they want to win LeMans 24 hours, and not in the lowest class there. The GT1 is where they will stay. There has been rumors that they may move to the LeMans Endurance Series in Europe, although that I am not sure would really happen, seeing that there are Pratt & Miller cars already in that series. They still have a huge fan base here and the paddock area always has a crowd around it. The NCM sell a lot of Corvette Racing merchandise as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 824 Likes on 393 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think the car, tires and the team all need further development/improvement. Louis Jr. told me at LB that the team is still learning how to compete at this level. Its like going from Minor Leagues to the Majors in baseball. Mis-communication at St. Pete cost the team at least 1 finishing position. The car is still 100lbs over its target weight and they've had limited testing opportunities at this stage of the season.

As far as comparing the LGM C6 performance to the VICI Porsche, that car is a well proven design and I assume there is lots of race/test data available to build on its performance. VICI was running about 1.5 sec/lap off the race pace of the Michelin P-Car runners
I talked to Lou and a few of his team members at St Pete earlier this month, and it is still a learning curve. This is a big change from the Speed GT to GT2 ALMS. It will take some time to sort everything out. The car was actully rushed to get ready for Sebring and therefore needs some tuning and I believe it may even be a little over weight right now. I know Lou and his team will be working hard to get to teh head of the pack. It will take some time, maybe this entire year will be needed to gain the information needed to run up front in GT2.
Hang in there Lou wwe are behind you.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Couldn't get there. We are at 1275kg at the moment with a half mm larger restrictor to match the 1275kg weight.

See you at the races.

LG
Better get more CF on there from K. Hitt / ACP
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RMVette06
Keep working hard Lou! GT2 is a brawl with all of the different teams involved. It is nice to see a Corvette and the other american cars like the Ford GT and Viper in there mixing it up with the European Cars.

You guys wanted a challenge. Hell, if you wanted it easy you could have just bought an old Lola prototype, you could be top 3 in P1 every race! Best of luck the rest of the year.
Autocon Motorsports doesn't have one driver who has raced since he was a young adult.

Bell Motorsports is the only other team in GT1.

Team Cytosport plans to race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 14-15 with the third fastest car from the 2007 Le Mans Series, Charouz Racing System's Lola B07/10 Judd from the Czech Republic. Greg Pickett and Klaus Graf will race with 1988 Le Mans winner Jan Lammers in the Michelin-shod prototype.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3...7-10-Judd.html

Quick Reply: AND in ALMS the usual BS!