Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech and Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I go really, really thin. Generally, my pads taper enough that when the first corner hits the plate, they're done. Now, that's DE usage, not racing. For a race, I'd want a bit more of a heat mass than that, so I'd replace when down to 1/4 width or so.

I replace when the taper approaches or hits the backing plate. I tossed a set out at Roebling this month with about 1/16th to 1/8 inch maybe on the thin side.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

>> I tossed a set out at Roebling this month with about 1/16th to 1/8 inch maybe on the thin side.<<

That's a waste of money, the coefficent of friction only increases when you hit the backing plate .
Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. Danny must be off racing.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by freefall
I love the rotor wear - but eating pads in 1.5 days kills me (XP12 and XP10).

Same experience here. I'm looking to other brands just b/c I can't budget new pads in every weekend....actually they don't survive the whole weekend. I bedded them.

- Rotor life on them was very good.
- Pad life was dismal.
- Taper was significantly worse than any other pad I've run, and therefore they got worse as time went on.
- Modulation/Confidence was well above average.

I have no issue with the XP8,9(yes, I ran it),10 compounds. Stay away from those XP12's if budget is a concern at all. If you can change pads daily I have not issue with the XP12's.

Running DTC70's right now and the rotors died pretty quick, but I didn't bed them properly. The DTC70 wear was many times better than the XP12's, and they didn't taper on the same calipers.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 06-01-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
loudes13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Danny and Carbotech have been good to me. I've used them on fwd, awd, and rwd, including my current Z28. Track, autox, and driving on the street they work great. They do dust a lot, but it washes right off. I don't even waste time with street pads anymore. Great product!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a long time fan of Carbotech. Danny was very good and gave me all the tips I needed. I used Carbotech on my Miata, 350Z and C6. They all were rotor friendly, but my pads did wear pretty quickly. I averaged 2-3 track event per set of pads on the 350Z. I think the C6 can get about 4-5 events? Anyway I use their XP10 setup all around, let's just say you have to be careful and not use street tires with it. Else you will end up locking like a mad man.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Anyway I use their XP10 setup all around, let's just say you have to be careful and not use street tires with it. Else you will end up locking like a mad man.
Doesn't your C6 have ABS?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I am running their AX6's all the way around for street and autox duty. I have been extremely pleased with the pads. I have 5 events on them so far and they are barely showing any wear. I should be able to make it through this entire season without a prob.

I will picking up their XP10 fronts and XP8 rears for HPDE duty later this summer.

I plan on sticking with Carbotech pads for a long time. I love the inital bite and feel of the pad. Add the fact that the dust just washes off and you have a killer combo
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Doesn't your C6 have ABS?
Yes, but two issues.

#1 Your fronts will lock up TOO fast, computer will flip and engage ice mode.

#2 Threshold braking can outbrake the car in ABS under most condition, also ice mode wont allow you to trail brake.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Yes, but two issues.

#1 Your fronts will lock up TOO fast, computer will flip and engage ice mode.

#2 Threshold braking can outbrake the car in ABS under most condition, also ice mode wont allow you to trail brake.
#1 The wheels lock up in ABS? Sounds to me like you have a warranty issue.

Although I've never experienced "Ice Mode" (that I'm aware of), I thought "Ice Mode" by definition wouldn't give much, if any, braking to the wheels, therefore not allowing "lockup" in that mode either.

#2 I thought the purpose of threshold braking was to get maximum braking just short of wheel lockup? Seems to me if the wheels are locking up while threshold braking then the ABS would be the better alternative since it won't allow lockup (except for a possible warranty issue).
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

They would have locked up if i don't have ABS, I guess I have to make it more clear. They still would lock up for a split sec if you nail the carbotechs hard anyway initially

Originally Posted by Falcon
#1 The wheels lock up in ABS? Sounds to me like you have a warranty issue.

Although I've never experienced "Ice Mode" (that I'm aware of), I thought "Ice Mode" by definition wouldn't give much, if any, braking to the wheels, therefore not allowing "lockup" in that mode either.

#2 I thought the purpose of threshold braking was to get maximum braking just short of wheel lockup? Seems to me if the wheels are locking up while threshold braking then the ABS would be the better alternative since it won't allow lockup (except for a possible warranty issue).
Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
bgx12
Advanced

Danny, I met you a week or two ago. Morris Morgan sent me up to see you and get my XP12's for the front and the XP10's for the rear. They did great a tVIR. I had been running Raybestos SP43's and I liek your much better. I have not checked the wear yet but I did like the responsiveness.

Thanks again,

Brandon
Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

I'm having 10/8 combo installed on my C6 Z06 as we speak! Stock rotors/calipers. My first opportunity to test them will be June 18 at Mosport. Will let you know how it goes!!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
I'm having 10/8 combo installed on my C6 Z06 as we speak! Stock rotors/calipers. My first opportunity to test them will be June 18 at Mosport. Will let you know how it goes!!
I'll be looking for you there!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I'll be looking for you there!
Awesome!! We'll have to get our cars together for some twin-LMB pics!!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 AM
CarbotechDanny
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by varkwso
Hey Danny my two sets of XP10 fronts arrived today (to replace the pads I borrowed when ZO6Cool was not looking)...

I find the XP10s are fine for track use in front (8s in back) and I even like the XP8s all around for track and street use.

Glad to see you are on the forum...

So do you make pads for a 1983 Supra?

jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we make brake pads for a 1983 Supra. In fact, there isn't a vehicle that we make pads for.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM
CarbotechDanny
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I do have a question. You state that the higher the number the greater the initial bite/torque/heat resistance, but also the faster the wear. Understanding that brake pads are one of the most expensive consumables for us, many want to try and get every bit of useability possible. I always thought that if you bought a pad that was underrated for your application (eg. street pad for the track) that it would wear faster under higher temp conditions, not necessarily the other way around?

So, if I have a 3300lb 500rwhp C6Z06 running coil-overs and Hoosier R compounds with stock calipers, what is an approiate pad? I have tried lesser pads and ate through them like candy, I used your XP12's last year (and this) and seem to get decent wear with excellent braking. Would I get potentially better wear with the XP10 with a small sacrafice in braking performance? Or with the aggressive nature of the car, will I just eat through the XP10?

I have personally stayed away from the highest friction compound pads simply because they are expensive, only provide that extra 10th, and eat through rotors at 5X the pace. Just trying to understand your statement on "wear rate"?
95jersey,

Those are all good questions. If you take a high performance street pad with a car that weighs 3300lbs, and has 500hp, you will over heat them. Anytime you over heat a pad you will make it wear faster.

Yes, your statement about the XP10's is correct. You would get a little more life out of them, but a little less performance then the XP12.

In most cases the higher friction compounds will eat up rotors, and most likely produce corrosive brake dust. That's one advantage I can say that only Carbotech has. All of our compounds produce 100% non-corrosive brake dust.

You have to pick your poison. Some pads will last longer but they kill your rotors, dust is corrosive, no modulation, and they lack overall performance. Or, you can go with a pad that is easy on your rotors, non-corrosive dust, great modulation, excellent performance, but they might wear a little faster. I hope I answered all your questions, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Mooresville, NC 28115
844-927-2537
danny@g-locbrakes.com

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech and Corvette...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 AM
CarbotechDanny
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I think he means that driven at their ultimate performance level, they will wear quicker than a lower heat-range pad at it's ultimate level.
Yes, this is exactly correct. Thank you David.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
CarbotechDanny
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I am very glad for you guys that have had a good experience with Carbotech.

My experience with XP12s has been a disaster. I purchased my first set because they had the only pads in town for C6Zs in 2006.

Installed them with new rotors and bedded them in as recommended in their instructions. Off to VIR, where the brakes shuddered so badly that I thought they would break something. The local denizens said they would get better with use, but the fact is I never got them to work right. Two days of HPDE, plus $500 in rotors and almost $600 worth of pads throwh in the trash.

Called Carbotech and was told I didn't bed the pads in right. So i got a second set and new rotors. Bedded them in absolutely and positively according to their instructions. Same thing. A little better in the afternoon sessions, but nothing like I expect from my brakes.

Called them back, and they said maybe something was wrong with the rotors. They were GM OEM. Another $1,100 shot to hell.

Tried a third set and it was no better.

Switched to Hawk DTC-70 pads and haven't had a problem in three years of HPDEs.

Like I said, I am happoy for those of you that have had good results. I haven't and I am not happy about it.

Fire away, asbestos suit is ON.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank,

First, let me apologize for you having such a bad experience. I'm not going to fire away either. But, I don have some questions. First, are you sure the Carbotech pads you bought were XP12? The only reason I ask is because XP12 didn't come out until late in the year in 2006. And the Hawk DTC-70 hasn't been out for three years.

Now, I can say that the first set you purchased were not bed correctly. From your post it sounds like you did it on the street and then went to the track. You have to bed our pads on the track, not on the street. I don't know what bedding instructions were in the box when you bought these pads, but it's not what is in the boxes now.

Anytime you get shuddering it's one of three things. When they shudder it's because they are leaving pad deposits on the rotor surface. The first reason is because they weren't bed properly. The second reason is because they over heated (which you should not be able to do with XP12). The third and last reason is because of the rotor. Some rotors can and do have imperfections on the surface and/or are made out of cheap steel. That's one of the major problems with rotors made in China; they are very inconsistent with the quality of the metals they are using.

We have improved our compounds since 2006, and we now mold the C6 Z06 pads. By molding them we are getting a higher density, more surface area which both result in longer lasting and better performing brake pads. If you would like to try another set give me a call and I will take care of you. Again, sorry for your bad experience.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 AM
CarbotechDanny
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by NavyVet
I've used Carbotech pads for AX (started with the old PantherPlus and later the AX6) since around 2000 or early 2001. I've also used XP10/8 and XP12/10 combos for NASA and PASA track days and events on our Vettes. I've run Carbotechs on two p[repared C4s, two prepared C5s and a one slightly modified C6 Z06, all set up for HPDE and AX. Each of these Vettes achieved great results in brake performance and rotor wear. Carbotech pads are a great pad for those running stock GM calipers.

This year we switched to a Wilwood SL6/SL4 seup on our primary autocross/track car. We never considerd ordering track pads from Wilwood and immediately called Carbotech to order a set of AX pads for them. Note that I explained our use for this car very carefully when making the order and they said, "no problem it's a custom order and will take 2 weeks." Note that brake performance is very important since my wife and I both drive the same car at track events so we may put a bit more heat and wear on ours than some folks do because we usually make back-to-back runs all weekend. They made us a set of AX6 pads on the correct Wilwood backing plates. When we received them it was obvious that they had a smaller pad surface area completely across the outer edge and each inner corner of the pads. After several phone calls, and after I sent pictures with an overlayed tape measure showing the differences to prove my claims, they did take a return. Tehy also charged me for return postage and a 20% re-stocking fee. I wanted Carbotechs very much, but giving up 3/16" the entire length of each pad plus approximately 3/4 square inch total from the two inner corners of each pad would have actually cost us a significant amount of surface clamping area. My opinion obviously, but I believe a total surface loss of approximately 1.75 square inches on each of 8 pads would make a difference during a late corner entry and hard braking. Afterall, improved braking and repeatably consistant performance under high stress conditions was why we changed to the SL6/SL4 Wilwoods in the first place.

I was told by Carbotech's technicians that their pad compound was so good that losing the surface area did not matter and that I would be better off with the Carbotechs over any of the Wilwood compounds regardless that Carbotech's pads were smaller. So, in attempt to get a straight answer, I asked the Carbotech technician if 2 sets of their own pads, one set with 1.75 square inches less surface area per pad and one with full-size pads would brake equally and was told that they could not reply because they would not make a set full-sized (i.e., the same size that Wilwood uses on their pads) set to compare against.

We no longer run CarboTechs on either of our Vettes although I've suggested them to our racing friends for years. We will no longer promote them. I just gave away four sets of new ones from our track spares box too. We are now running Wilwood race pads with very good results.

I wish those running stock calipers the best using the Carbotech pads, but I wish Carbotech would have made us pads with the maximum possible surface area. We went back to stock padlets on the 2007 Z06 for now and gave away those Carbotechs too.

NavyVet,

I had to do some asking around to see what this was all about. First, let me apologize for your experience. The gentleman you talked to was not a technician. In fact he is a salesman who just started in March.

That pad that you ordered is made to fit all the different Wilwood rotor sizes. Wilwood has more rotors sizes than just about any other BBK company that I know of. PFC makes that pad to the exact same dimensions that we do. We don't want a pad to over hang off the rotor edge creating a lip. Those pads were made to our specifications and were correct. That is why they gave you a restocking fee. If a pad was made incorrectly then we will always take it back at our own cost.

Now, I wish I would have talked to me about this when you called (I know it's not your fault that you didn't talk to me and I will take care of that). We custom make brake pads and shoes for customers all the time.

The amount of difference you are talking about is minimal. If we made them both ways and put them on your car you would not be able to tell me which one was which. That being said, I would be more than happy to have them make those pads for you with more material on them. That's not a problem and easy enough to do. Again, sorry for not meeting your expectations.

Quick Reply: Carbotech and Corvette...