Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY fORUM MEMBERS HERE AT NCCC TULSA CONVENTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wed Hallett Results At Nccc Tulsa Convention

Hey everybody,
I am here at the NCCC Corvette Convention in Tulsa and there are some really nice cars around. I will post pictures later of all the events from the Car show,Concours,drags and the Hallett high and low speed Time trials.

If anyone is in the area, stop by and say hi. I have the T1 car with me that is in my avatar as well as the big silver Kumho semi. I will be doing the car show today out in the parking lot of the Marriott Tulsa Southern Hills location.Here is a little schedule.

Monday Day- Concours and Funkhana
Monday Night- Drags under the lights at Tulsa Raceway Park
Gates open at 3 PM
Tuesday- Free night off
Wed- High speed & Low speed TT's at Hallett (Group II & III)
Thurs- High speed & Low speed TT's at Hallett (Group IS & I)
Friday- Awards Banquet.

They do have cheap day passes available for the drags & Hallett on wed and thurs at the hotel if you would like to see some cool cars.

Take care,

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports)

Last edited by rasrboy; 06-25-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Aaron.
Wish I was there!!
I'm sure to miss a good time.
Keep us posted.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, wish I was there too, but I'm loading everything up because I'm moving back to NC this week!!!!! Good luck this week Aaron.

Where is next years convention going to be?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Next year is in Colorado,Colorado Springs, on August 7-14. I believe they are going to run the High/Low speed events in Pueblo and the drags in Denver.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Aaron ...
Don't know if they're forum members, but there is certainly an East Region contingent ... Dave and Sally W from Cumberland Valley CC are perennial participants ('07 Red C6Z).
Guy from my club (G-Burg Vettes) - Calvin B - "Black Attack" is there for the drags.
Enjoy! ... see you at the Spook in Oct.
DennyM
Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Sure wish I was there, I missed out on Nashville last year, and Tulsa this year. Really hoping to be in Colorado for next year's events.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Hi Aaron

I'm not there either wish I was too much work & no $$. Give em hell Wed & Thurs
Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just at Hallett for the NASA event this weekend. My first time there. If it will be yours, there are a few things Hallett can teach you:
1) Faith. There are lots of blind corners and hills. The corner worker staff is outstanding, so watch them for yellow flags.
2) Off camber turns. Plenty of those, where the rear end just goes away at track out.
3) Late apex. If you're in a turn at Hallett, odds are very, very good that it's a late apex corner.

It's hard on brakes, so stock up on extra pads and a rotor or two. My pads with one event on them were fried by the end of the weekend, and I lost one of the rear rotors to heat cracking.

Run fast and clean guys and gals! It's a blast of a track!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I was just at Hallett for the NASA event this weekend. My first time there. If it will be yours, there are a few things Hallett can teach you:
1) Faith. There are lots of blind corners and hills. The corner worker staff is outstanding, so watch them for yellow flags.
2) Off camber turns. Plenty of those, where the rear end just goes away at track out.
3) Late apex. If you're in a turn at Hallett, odds are very, very good that it's a late apex corner.

It's hard on brakes, so stock up on extra pads and a rotor or two. My pads with one event on them were fried by the end of the weekend, and I lost one of the rear rotors to heat cracking.

Run fast and clean guys and gals! It's a blast of a track!
Thanks for the tips! First time here with the T1 car so what would be a good lap time? Mind you we are running from a NCCC standing start doing one BONZI run at a time so we may not have as good as lap times do to COLD tires and the non flying lap.

I have the Chase cam ready to get some footage too that I will post later when I return home.

Aaron
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

i'm not there!! but then again where am i???

pick up my jacket for me!! debbie's too!! i think don smith will bring them back here!!!
Johnny
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Aaron,
If I remember right, the winning time for a C6 Z06 in 07 was 88 seconds. That was with a short run up and very short shut down.
This spring when there, I turned a 93 in my '90. That day was high 40's to high 50's, damp track, first day in the new car, and tire pressure near 40# cold. I'm sure I did more wrong than right.

On turn 1, look for the motorcycle peg scrape on the right edge, for your turn in point. This is a fun, fast turn. #2 (At the bottom of the hill) is a late apex, turn left on the last tile on the right, down to second from fourth, and nail it. #4 dam turn, for me was a guess. I never found a mark. The long sweeping turn then into 5. At 7, on the tiles, but for us there was a pylon on 8, and we just needed to be left of it. You cannot see 8 when aiming into 7 ( in fourth gear). I don't know if I ever went through 9 correctly. My brother said I had my own line through there?? I guess everyone else was wrong - ha ha. Pay attention to the tire marks running off the track on 10.
I'm sure you've cornered a track instructor by now. You should have a great day there.

It's not the fastest track, but so far, it's my favorite out of MAM, Heartland Park and Hallett. I was raised in western Pennsylvania, and it's just like the ridge running, blind turn, downhill turns we all did as kids. In our ill handling muscle cars.
I'll e mail you my best photos of Bloomington.
Good luck to all of you !
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Thanks for the tips! First time here with the T1 car so what would be a good lap time? Mind you we are running from a NCCC standing start doing one BONZI run at a time so we may not have as good as lap times do to COLD tires and the non flying lap.

I have the Chase cam ready to get some footage too that I will post later when I return home.

Aaron
Good lap times: 1:28 was my best, with a stock C5Z, near T-1 suspension and Toyo RA-1 with many events on them. I had not seen the track before.

From a standing start, I don't know. Higher HP than mine (newer C6 or C6Z) it wouldn't matter, as the acceleration into the first turn would be nearly what you would brake into on an open front straight.

Last thing: The runoff is pretty generous, but if you end up near the tire walls, the mosquitos might carry both you and your car away before the rescue guys get there.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Last thing: The runoff is pretty generous, but if you end up near the tire walls, the mosquitos might carry both you and your car away before the rescue guys get there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I have been watching this youtube video as a reference guide being this is a first here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGr1N5r1jw

Thanks again!

Congrats Mr. haskell on your national award, sorry you couldn't make it. I see Pink Panther here so I am sure he will accept on your behalf.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Sure wish I could've made the trip to Tulsa this year... but I just couldn't make it happen..

Hope you all are having a GREAT time! Please keep us all updated on the happenings and the speed events, Aaron

oh, yea - hope someone brings my jacket back to me this year, too
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

I forgot to mention that I have only run Hallett counter clockwise. Which direction are you running this week?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
I forgot to mention that I have only run Hallett counter clockwise. Which direction are you running this week?

We are running counter clockwise too for both events. The low speed event will only have a few pylons out on the track they say, so it should still be pretty quick.

Then in the afternoon they will remove the cones for the highspeed event.

Results,pictures and in-car cam to follow.

Aaron
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I see Pink Panther here

Get notified of new replies

To ANY fORUM MEMBERS HERE AT NCCC TULSA CONVENTION

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ERND IT
Sure wish I could've made the trip to Tulsa this year... but I just couldn't make it happen..

Hope you all are having a GREAT time! Please keep us all updated on the happenings and the speed events, Aaron

oh, yea - hope someone brings my jacket back to me this year, too

We wanted to go too but work got in the way. We're going next year for sure. Johnny and I have talked about getting a convoy together to head out there.

I got lucky, we have a regional event in a couple of weeks and my jacket will be there waiting for me. Or at least Patsy said she would bring it back....
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do we have any pix yet?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

What a blast we had today.

Low speed first event of today starting from a standing start just past the normal start/finish line. We then went thru turn 1 to find 4 cones you had to slolom thru and then it was open again till turn 7. Then the short straight just before bitch had 4 more slolom cones which were optional on entry. Then we charged to the bitch turn and then up the short back stretch finishing where the gravel road crosses the track. (it wasn't the full track for low speed)

I ran a 75.159 (seconds) which was good for RP class win and group III FTD.
Shawn ran a 75.116. in the C6Z That was good for Overall and group II FTD as well.

High speed: They moved the lights way back to beginning of front straight where you also did a standing start with the timers 1 foot in front of you on the launch. We ran the whole open track with no cones and came back and finished the lap in the same spot where we took off from. Full track run but the start just kills a lot of time from a stop.

Anywho, I was able to manage a 1:26.0 which I was happy about considering no practice laps and first time here. I ran the car in T1 prep with 710's.

Shawn Matzinger was running a SICK 2008 C6 Z06 in Class 2M with monster power and suspension goodies. He had overall in highspeed too with a 1:25.5 CONGRATS BROTHER!

This was his home track and wasn't going to let us have any part of an Overall.

We had a few tire wall incidents but all were ok and were able to continue running with some duck tape. One blown engine with the rod hanging out the block up at turn 5.

There was awesome battle in IIG (LT4 cars modded with race tires) with Patrick W. (Indiana) coming out on top.

Ladies results will come later tomorrow when I get back to the track. Not sure yet who had top honors,FTD's and Overalls.

I will have pictures and in-car next week when I get home so I will make a new post then.

Group I and IS run tomorrow so I will be getting pictures and watching some good shoot outs.

I hope to make it back there sometime for an SCCA Regional or National where we can run more than 1 lap at flying speeds. I think then we could do some 1:22's or high 21's.

Take care,

Aaron Quine

Quick Reply: ANY fORUM MEMBERS HERE AT NCCC TULSA CONVENTION