Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Peru, Indiana National Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default SCCA Peru, Indiana National Tour

Any forum members out there attending this tomorrow thru Sunday???

We just got here...

Hope to see some forum members in SS,AS and the other classes...

If not... oh well.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm skipping this one but I see a lot of friends there!

It's one of the last grippy surfaces in the country for autox so it'll be interesting to see if Wynveen or Hammond in their C5Zs can keep up with Braun in the Elise off of his DC victory.

Also we'll see if Ramey has the C6Z figured out. Not a better surface for the C6Z and if he can't beat Braun and Wynveen/Hammond there then it may be the last gasp for the C6Z in SCCA Solo competition.

Lehman may actually win ASP!

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Cr0usEEE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there...but in my lowly Camaro =(

Some day I will move up to the big boy leauge and get a Corvette.

List of SCCA events so far:

Arkasas Pro
Atlanta Double X
Atlanta Tour
DC Pro
Peru Tour

Coming up:
Toledo Pro
Milwaukee Tour
Finger Lakes Pro
Kansas City Tour
Pro Finale
National Championships

My goal is to not finish DLF at any event this year!!!!

I love this stuff.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Originally Posted by TedDBere

It's one of the last grippy surfaces in the country for autox so it'll be interesting to see if Wynveen or Hammond in their C5Zs can keep up with Braun in the Elise off of his DC victory.

Also we'll see if Ramey has the C6Z figured out. Not a better surface for the C6Z and if he can't beat Braun and Wynveen/Hammond there then it may be the last gasp for the C6Z in SCCA Solo competition.

Good luck!
Sadly I'm going to miss this one as well... combination of conserving my already past their useful life tires for Toledo and not travelling 6+ hours 3 weeks in a row (DC, Peru, Toledo).

I think that the C6z still has the potential in SS with the current car composition - Hopefully Ramey can show some data points that give the C6 hope. Good luck to all the Corvette drivers this weekend. Give Braun/Salerno/Connors hell!

See everybody in Toledo. Looks to be pretty close to a DC rematch.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Well... hope to see you all in Toledo then... I currently AM DFL in D-stock in my cobalt SS...

next week I'll be in a VW R32 co-driving....

Good luck to you all... wish I knew you better to say hi to.. but if you see this.. say hi to the Cobalt driver...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Good luck!
After day one Steve Wynveen in his Z16 C5Z is in first ahead of Braun in the Elise. Chris Hammond unfortunately had one of those nightmare days on day one failing to get a clean run. The C6Z was a no-show.

Lehman is a tenth out of first in ASP. We'll see if he can take the lead today.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Jason Collett who's leading ASP is a great guy and a recent Corvette convert (from a Honda S2000). He's going to be a force to be reckoned with nationally in ASP this year for sure!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After day one Steve Wynveen in his Z16 C5Z is in first ahead of Braun in the Elise.
Looks like Steve led again today.

Not sure what's happened to Chris Ramey.

Dave G.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Wynveen with the Win!! Nice driving Steve.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Way to go Steve!

Results here: http://www.scca.com/popup/raceresult...12140&file=303

Now if they could only hold Nationals on a good grippy surface!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Jason Collett who's leading ASP is a great guy and a recent Corvette convert (from a Honda S2000). He's going to be a force to be reckoned with nationally in ASP this year for sure!
No doubt... I expect Jason to contend anywhere he goes. I run with him at the Nashville Superspeedway events in TN and he is so fast. It's gonna take quite a bit to run with him.

I look forward to making my debut in a national event next year. I'm still in street tires this year in ASP just getting some seat time in the C5Z. I've only got around 10 events under me, so hopefully with some more experience and some good Hooiser A6's, I can start to contend with the big boys.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
christoc
Advanced

Now if they could only hold Nationals on a good grippy surface!
Who knows what will happen in 2009, we might all be in for a surprise

As for Peru. I did have a very off weekend, I wasn't able to keep up with the fast guys, and I also wasn't able to keep it clean.

I was happy with moving up 2 places to 7th today, finally getting a single clean run on my 2nd run this afternoon.

My third run today I revived my old name "White Tornado", will try to get the video together in the next day or so.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Windscreen
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, it was awesome to finally get Braun. He was (over) driving his a$$ off today, trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat, but it didn't happen. I would have liked to have been a little closer to ASP, but I guess a win is a win.

Now if I could just get this ProSolo thing figured out. Its off to Toledo next weekend for a DC rematch, plus Tziortzis will be back after his shoulder surgery, so that will be one more C5 in the mix.

-Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I think this event shows what the C5Z can do on a grippy surface. I was a little surprised there was only one Elise that showed up. Maybe they know that on concrete it's better to stay home.

At DC they had us by shifting to 1st in the final offsets and powering through the finish. I don't think any of us in the Zs tried that move. Steve?

Let's see how the Zs do in the Pro this weekend. Good luck.

I'm a little dissapointed that no C6Zs showed to give it a shot. It's as if they've thrown in the towel for Autox thinking they'll never be able to catch the top drivers.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this event shows what the C5Z can do on a grippy surface. I was a little surprised there was only one Elise that showed up. Maybe they know that on concrete it's better to stay home.
Maybe, certainly helps, although I still remember Mike Johnson covering the SS field by .6 sec or so at Forbes on the south course in '05.

Dave G.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Windscreen
Heel & Toe

Funny thing is, despite great lateral grip, I felt my car was not getting power down well this weekend. My Chicago C5Z friends felt the same thing. I ended up dead soft on my rear compression and just managed the throttle as best I could.

So far I don't see the grip level as a deciding factor in the Elise vs. Z battle; it's more dependent on the courses. Saturday was Z06 heaven...all sweepers, lots of acceleration, and no real slaloms to speak of. Sunday had lots of slaloms, but they were moderate to fast speeds (5 cone walled slalom at 31 paces, 5 cone at 21 paces and a 3 cone at 23 paces). Its those 18 pace slaloms that are painful in this big car. They hurt enough in the S2000, but they really hurt with the wide booty of the Z. There a lot of car to move back and fourth, even more so on the C6Z.

As for DC, I was really off my game there, and although I gave a downshift a brief thought, it never crossed my mind after competition started because I was playing so much catch up. I listened to advice on course speeds I shouldn't have on Friday walks, then tried to drive it that fast on Sat AM runs (while not looking ahead at all - shame on me). Then I made wholesale setup changes for Sat PM based on the crap AM driving and the car was a corner exit push monster (about the worst trait you can have on this car).

Put it all back to my baseline Sat AM setup for Sun AM and the car was awesome, and I first started to figure out the subtleties of the courses - something much better done on Saturday :o . It was a hard lesson from a mistake I know better than to commit. I won't make that mistake again...for a while at least.

-Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Congrats on the win!!!Glad a forum member won SS...

I didn't get to see any of SS run since we were in the same heat... I was gridded about 10 spots down...

I loved Sunday's course... once I was able to grow a pair and committ to the "wallom" and really push I dropped over 1.1 on my 2nd run I think...

I can't hang with the Type-Rs so I was just happy to be there...

Wish I would've know some of the cars with the names... There was areally sweet Z16 paddocked in front of us all.. Strano was parked next to us as well, so that's always good to get pointers from him...

"Brian... you need to driver faster..." and "you're sitting too far away.. get up closer"

Helped a big bunnch for Sunday.

Hope to maybe actually meet some of you guys @ Toledo this weekend... just look for a bright Blue VW R32... I'm co-driving at the Pro this weekend.

Last edited by AverageVetteNut; 06-30-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Peru, Indiana National Tour

Old 06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Windscreen
Heel & Toe

That was probably me/my car. I was paddocked one row in front of Strano and Mike's Shelby.

Here's hoping to a decent course in Toledo. See you there.

-Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by Windscreen
That was probably me/my car. I was paddocked one row in front of Strano and Mike's Shelby.

Here's hoping to a decent course in Toledo. See you there.

-Steve

LOVE your car...I was that black Cobalt near Sam's car...

And ... I will look ya up this weekend and say hi as well...

Last edited by AverageVetteNut; 06-30-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Windscreen
Heel & Toe

Links to my fast runs from both days. About 10 MB each file, right click, save as, please:
http://www.wynveen.org/movies/Peru_T...urday_Run3.wmv
http://www.wynveen.org/movies/Peru_T...unday_Run2.wmv

-Steve

Quick Reply: SCCA Peru, Indiana National Tour