Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a race seat AND keep stock seatbelts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone install a race seat AND keep stock seatbelts?

I'm in the middle of installing a harness bar and race seat in my 08 C6 coupe. I am planning on using a Recaro SPG (one piece shell seat) with 6 points harnesses.

However, I plan to drive back and forth to the DE events in the car, and want to ALSO have use of my stock belts. (will use the stock belts on the street and the 6 points on the track).

I'm using a Pfadt seat mount to install the seat-- and as I've been taking things apart- I've noticed the stock belts are bolted to the seat.

Is it possible to use the stock belts on a PFADT seat mount? What have you guys done out there for this?

Thanks. I'm trying not to have a panic attack, since I have the car are apart at the minute.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It is not possible to use the stock seat belts on my C5Z with my Kirkey race seat. Even if I wanted to mount the female receptacle to my seat, the belt would hit on the seat instead of laying on my lap. The only way I know that you could do this would be to unbolt the shoulder belt and route it through the side opening of the seat. Then somehow mount the female receptacle to the seat rail. Something like this:

Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Recaro Pole Position seats in my '07 Z06 with 6 point harnesses and retained the stock seat belts. I am not sure what bracket system they used for the seats.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:51 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I have a Sparco Eve L in my 06 coup.
Although it is 100% track car now, the stock seatbelt still can be used if on the street.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A seat like this would permit the use of the stock belts since the seat will not prevent the belt from going across your lap.

Bill
Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Nihilation
Racer

I run the Corbeau FX1 Pro with Corbeau's mounting bracket with stock belts. No other hardware was required. Straight bolt-in.

Last edited by Nihilation; 06-30-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

kirkey road race deluxe and I run the stock belt. Normally its a bad idea because race seats hold the belt too far from the body as it crosses waste area. In my case it works very well. the ratchet mechanism just barely passes throught the lap belt slot. On the right side I latch the belt on the outside and it works well. No gap between belt and my body. I use hardbar mounts, but have modified them extensively with holes and such to work for my seat positioning. I also just fabbed up a custom seat back brace that attaches to the top of the bulkhead behind the seat and strongly recommend that all seats have one installed regardless of any FIA rating. Especially if you plan to ever use harnesses.

-V
Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

so how have you attached the stock belts?
any close up pics of the anchor points would be helpful.

thanks. I see it can be done, would like some more detail on "how".
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

With Hardbar seat rails, people do that all the time. As Trackboss said it is allows you to run it throught the side, depending on what seat is used. In addition, the Hardbar rails buy you alot of headroom

Instructions:
http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...lv1%206(1).pdf

Product link:
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=45
Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

OT: Gary or anyone else, what is the recommended torque for the bolts that go into the seat, i.e. the side bolts for a Sparco Evo seat?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

If I remember correctly they are 8mm? That is similar to 5/16". Typical torque is 19ft. lbs. for those. You don't really need to torque the seats. Just snug them down well, but don't over do it as you will damage the inserts.

-V
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trackboss
kirkey road race deluxe and I run the stock belt. Normally its a bad idea because race seats hold the belt too far from the body as it crosses waste area. In my case it works very well. the ratchet mechanism just barely passes throught the lap belt slot. On the right side I latch the belt on the outside and it works well. No gap between belt and my body. I use hardbar mounts, but have modified them extensively with holes and such to work for my seat positioning. I also just fabbed up a custom seat back brace that attaches to the top of the bulkhead behind the seat and strongly recommend that all seats have one installed regardless of any FIA rating. Especially if you plan to ever use harnesses.

-V
any pics of your setup?

I sat in a Kirkey RR deluxe 16" this weekend and it fit like a glove. If I can run that seat and still use my stock belts safely on the street I'd pull the trigger.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I snapped a couple photos, but have no idea how to insert them. I clicked on the box but it asks me to insert a link.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Alright Vageli, call me and I will 'splain it to 'ya!
Gary
603-682-8073
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Thanks to gary I now know how to use photobucket. here you go:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

thanks for the pics.

Question though; the part where the stock seat belt buckles into the receiver, on the right side hear the tunnel, can you put that through the side hole? right now how you have it, from looking at the pics, it looks like you have to go OVER the side of the seat to get it into the receiver. correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think having it mounted that way is safe for the stock belts...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default !!!Warning!!!

I know that using 5 point or 6 point harnesses for daily use is a pain, to say the least. But using a race seat with stock harnesses or a stock seat with race harnesses is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

When using a race seat with stock harnesses the belts do not lay tight against your body. Think about shooting a high powered rifle while holding the but of the gun say 4 inches from your shoulder. Same holds true for seat belts, they need to be tight against your body!

When using a stock seat with race harnesses the shoulder harnesses do not contact your shoulders in the right angle, often coming around the seat causing the shoulder straps to slide off your shoulders. In an impact the shoulder straps will offer no support, so you might as well just be wearing a lap belt. I know that there are many harnesses on the market that use a sternum strap. This strap is not intended to correct for improper shoulder strap routing and does not negate the need to properly install your harness.

The other common problem I see when people use racing harness is they neglect to connect the 5th/6th point. Again, very dangerous. In a impact your body will be forced under the lap belt and the lap belt will be forced under your rib cage, lot's of important organs under there that will get a beating.

Moral of the story:
Use Race Seats with Race Harnesses.
Use Stock Seats with Stock Harnesses.

I'm apologize for the bit of a rant. But it makes me sick to my stomach every time that I see someone making these compromises without realizing the consequences. Why cut corners when it comes to your safety?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone install a race seat AND keep stock seatbelts?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

It cannot pass inside the seat unless you have a seat that is much wider than you. Race seats are meant to hold your body and it would be extremely uncomfortable with the attachment inside the seat. However, in most cases you are correct. The belt going over, like I have it is not a good idea. My body is big enough so that the lap belt acutally touches me and does not pose a concern. Sit in the seat and unless you are super, super skinny, you will find that your body extends further forward than the seat sides. What you don't want is to have space between your body and the belt. If the corners of the sides where you see the lap belt mount were any higher this would not work. Also, get the kirkey lumbar pad. It makes a huge improvement in comfort. You may also want to add more padding under the very front of the seat to lift up your legs if mounting it low like I do. The kirkey is a 15* layback so it relaxes your legs more than a sparco or similar non-layback seat. That means a little less support for the legs and with the seat mounted so low (for headroom) in the corvette it can be a bit uncomfortable cause the legs tend to go out straight with little bend in the knees.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshS
I know that using 5 point or 6 point harnesses for daily use is a pain, to say the least. But using a race seat with stock harnesses or a stock seat with race harnesses is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

When using a race seat with stock harnesses the belts do not lay tight against your body. Think about shooting a high powered rifle while holding the but of the gun say 4 inches from your shoulder. Same holds true for seat belts, they need to be tight against your body!

When using a stock seat with race harnesses the shoulder harnesses do not contact your shoulders in the right angle, often coming around the seat causing the shoulder straps to slide off your shoulders. In an impact the shoulder straps will offer no support, so you might as well just be wearing a lap belt. I know that there are many harnesses on the market that use a sternum strap. This strap is not intended to correct for improper shoulder strap routing and does not negate the need to properly install your harness.

The other common problem I see when people use racing harness is they neglect to connect the 5th/6th point. Again, very dangerous. In a impact your body will be forced under the lap belt and the lap belt will be forced under your rib cage, lot's of important organs under there that will get a beating.

Moral of the story:
Use Race Seats with Race Harnesses.
Use Stock Seats with Stock Harnesses.

I'm apologize for the bit of a rant. But it makes me sick to my stomach every time that I see someone making these compromises without realizing the consequences. Why cut corners when it comes to your safety?
i see tons of people running four points on the street...Scary
Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
any pics of your setup?

I sat in a Kirkey RR deluxe 16" this weekend and it fit like a glove. If I can run that seat and still use my stock belts safely on the street I'd pull the trigger.
Who has this set-up in a C6. I just talked to Gary at Hardbar and he said someone has used the Kirkey RR Deluxe in a C6 but he did not know who.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a race seat AND keep stock seatbelts?