Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Carbotech pads, but no Shims???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
JMon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default New Carbotech pads, but no Shims???

I just got a set of Carbotech pads. XP10 and XP8. So this is my first experience with non street brakes.
They didn't come with any shims. Should I put anything on them, or just drop them into the caliper? I would think there should be something there at least for heat reasons.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Street brakes come with shims?? Just drop them in and go bed them, you're good to go.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Just as stated above.

Install...bed.. have fun.

10/8 is a great track combo. You are going to love it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Just as stated above.

Install...bed.. have fun.

10/8 is a great track combo. You are going to love it.
I just ran this combo at VIR. Works well from 130 to 50 or 140 to 80, depending on the turn. I can definitely break later have the XP10s up front.

I ran 8/8 at Gingerman and Putnam and this worked great for the slightly slower speeds at these tracks.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 AM
DZeckhausen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMon
I just got a set of Carbotech pads. XP10 and XP8. So this is my first experience with non street brakes.
They didn't come with any shims. Should I put anything on them, or just drop them into the caliper? I would think there should be something there at least for heat reasons.
Shims are there to prevent (or reduce) squeal. Depending on the shim material, they can also be somewhat compressible and introduce a slightly softer brake pedal. For this reason, and the fact that virtually nobody cares if a race pad squeals like an old school bus, race pads generally come without shims. I would not use the stock shims.

Composite or steel shims do not provide a significant thermal barrier. For some multi-piston calipers, 1mm thick titanium shims are available (we carry them for many Brembo and StopTech shapes) that do reduce heat transfer, knocking about 70 degrees F from what reaches the caliper body. But that's not the case here with your OEM C5 brakes.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
DZeckhausen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching back and forth between street and race pads

By the way, you might want to follow these guidelines when swapping back and forth between street and race pads: Avoiding Brake Judder

This will let you run the same rotors at the track, without running into pad cross-contamination issues and will reduce the likelihood of your experiencing brake judder problems during or after track events.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
JMon
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran

DZeckhausen, thanks for the link. I had actually posted a question on another thread about using the same rotors, and that article pretty much explained it all.

Get notified of new replies

To New Carbotech pads, but no Shims???

Quick Reply: New Carbotech pads, but no Shims???