Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slowly catching the leaders, next are brake upgrades, which stainless lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowly catching the leaders, next are brake upgrades, which stainless lines?

Topic says it all. I did some searching and saw hit and miss results with the Goodridge lines, and not too much else other than the Stoptechs.

Looking to buy stainless lines, and some HP+ pads for mainly AutoX days. I can get Russels for around $100, the Stoptechs online are around $65, Goodridge around $115.

Any idea on where to get the Brake pads? Online is around $215+ ship for front/rears and locally I can get them around $217 + tax, so basically a wash.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I do not have any plans at this point to upgrade the brake package, so upgradeability is not important.

Fej
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well we have a good option for you also. We have lines built to our specs from Goodridge. They are well worth the couple bucks extra, in our option. We have had great results with no problems. The best part about it there isn't one aftermarket brake system that 5 dollars with of fittings our lines wouldn't work. This little bonus can save in the long run.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I use DRM lines on my personal C6ZO6:
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used the Goodridge lines for 3 years without problem. solid pedal and no computer codes. Some brands are not properly grounded and will cause computer to throw wheel sensor codes. Search past threads to find names of non working lines so you don't buy them.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would stay away from the Russell lines. I bought a set for my 92 and they were just short enough to become tight when I raised the car off the ground.

I have Earl's on my 87 and they are in excellent shape after 3 years of autocross and occasional track days.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used the DRM lines for years with no problems.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

For autox.....you ain't going to improve on the stock set-up.

I run ASP........stock brakes and pads on my C5Z06.....I am not giving up anything to my competition by running the stock stuff for autox.

Now track stuff.....well track stuff---I don't know anything about that stuff....there you should probably upgrade..

But for autox.....i don't think so
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Not to argue lehman, but the group I run against have very sorted cars and there are 4-5 SCCA National champs (mostly CP/BSVP etc). I tend to take advice from these folks I am back about 2 seconds these days on dead V710's and $50 a corner shocks against new A6's and double adj koni's or penske's. I have about a second to gain from the nut behind the wheel improving, the rest is tire/brake/setup related. I am just trying to do the little things to make improvements while I save for a new set of rubber for next year.

Please feel free to continue to chime in guys. The car will likely see one HPDE per year, and about 12-14 AutoX events per year.

Thanks
Fej
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodridge here. Like them.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by fej
Not to argue lehman, but the group I run against have very sorted cars and there are 4-5 SCCA National champs (mostly CP/BSVP etc). I tend to take advice from these folks
Fej,

Are you saying that these people are saying you'll see improved performance due to SS brake lines? Frankly I'm in agreement with Mr. Lehman, I don't think you'll see anything measureable.

For those that have converted to SS lines, how much improvement in your Autox times can you attribute to that mod?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

You know, there are some things that cannot be equated to lap times per se. The pedal feel is much better firmer with SS lines. The SS lines are much more heat resistant which is not an issue for Auto-X but is a biggie for stopping from 130 into T3 at NHMS with big brakes that generate lots of heat. If you don't stop, you die.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Not saying SS lines will cut lap times, but from what I know, and have been told, it is all part of the package to improve the overall performance of the braking system. I have upgraded the fluid, and plan on going to a more aggressive pad.

Unless I am mistaken, a more aggressive pad will decrease braking distances over the factory z06 pad, correct?

The car will see under 500 miles of street driving per year at this point, and gets cruised around when it does get out on the street, so dust etc is not a concern.

Thanks for the help guys.

Fej
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Well we have a good option for you also. We have lines built to our specs from Goodridge. They are well worth the couple bucks extra, in our option. We have had great results with no problems. The best part about it there isn't one aftermarket brake system that 5 dollars with of fittings our lines wouldn't work. This little bonus can save in the long run.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com

I had Russell lines that wouldn't seat. I ordered a set from Randy and haven't had a problem with them.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Stoptech SS lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, and Carbotech AX6 pads. Very solid setup.

Lehman is right about the lines. You will not gain a thing by going to the SS setup. Your biggest gain is going to be the pads. The only reason I made the jump to SS is because the car sees 1-2 HPDEs a year.

Last edited by Z06Fix; 07-22-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I have used the Goodridge lines for 3 years without problem. solid pedal and no computer codes. Some brands are not properly grounded and will cause computer to throw wheel sensor codes.
I assume you're joking? well done.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fej
Unless I am mistaken, a more aggressive pad will decrease braking distances over the factory z06 pad, correct?
Incorrect. The worst street pads will give you the exact same stopping distance as the most aggressive race pads. The tires stop the car, not the brakes. Doesn't sound like you're talking about slicks/hoosiers so you have relatively limited traction to work with.

There are 4 reasons to go to a more aggressive pad:

1. you are braking "aggressively" and going through a set of pads in a day (or less than a day) and don't want to change the pads so often
2. you are braking "aggressively" and are out of the optimal heat range of your current pads
3. you are braking "aggressively" and are getting pad fade
4. you hate your rotors
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I would like to think that I brake aggressively, and the season is usually spent in 90-110* heat, obviously a fair amount more on course. I run V710's now that are ..well pretty dead. Depending upon the run group size, which dictates how quickly I am back on course, I will get some brake fade in the last 2 runs, sometimes only the last run.

Hell I am totally OK with not spending money on brakes, the pads only have 2k miles on them tops, same with the rotors. Pads look at least 80% still. 1.5k of those miles were casual street driving.

So should I make a new thread about seats and harnesses?

Fej

Get notified of new replies

To Slowly catching the leaders, next are brake upgrades, which stainless lines?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fej
I would like to think that I brake aggressively, and the season is usually spent in 90-110* heat, obviously a fair amount more on course. I run V710's now that are ..well pretty dead. Depending upon the run group size, which dictates how quickly I am back on course, I will get some brake fade in the last 2 runs, sometimes only the last run.

Hell I am totally OK with not spending money on brakes, the pads only have 2k miles on them tops, same with the rotors. Pads look at least 80% still. 1.5k of those miles were casual street driving.
That's not aggressive at all. I go through a set of stock pads in 1 track day. 2 at most, but I have to watch it.

Your brake fade is more likely to be a fluid problem than a pad problem. But you didn't say what fluid you are using. If it's a good one, then you do need to upgrade your pads. You will get better bite from a more aggressive compound, but they are also more aggressive on your rotors ...

So should I make a new thread about seats and harnesses?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Mouse thanks for the replies. This is a mainly autocross application for my car, with likely 1 HPDE (funds permitting) per season, which will likely be on street tires. Most of the courses that I spend time on are fairly technical, but usually faster than a typical SCCA or Nationals type course. I am using ATE Super blue fluid at the moment, which has 2 event days (total of 8 runs) and about 50 street miles on it.

Honestly, I can stay with the standard brake setup, and spend the money elsewhere. Shocks/sways and seat/harness along with new tires are part of the game plan, and it sounds like money better spent from the replies here, especially for a non-track car.

Fej
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know mouse, i'm going to have to disagree with you on the brake pads. A more aggressive pad compound can really lessen the amount of time you spend on the brake pedal significantly improving lap times. Although the tires are the limiting factor we are not talking about threshold braking to a complete stop in the middle of a course and the increased initial bite of an aggressive compound can sure get her slowed down with alot less time standing on the brake pedal.
If you can't get the 710's to abs when braking you may well benefit from a pad change.

BTW, I really like the stoptech lines on my car.

Last edited by C6400hp; 07-23-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Slowly catching the leaders, next are brake upgrades, which stainless lines?