Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Eagles Canyon C6 vs. 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Video: Eagles Canyon C6 vs. 996 GT3

If you guys get bored, here is a vid of me chasing a buddy in his modded 996 GT3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bajp0WXt0

Towards the end of this session, my '08 Coupe got up to 292F with the extra quart of oil the owner's manual recommends and that is staying in 3rd and 4th gear. Does the Z06 oil cooler help that much? I really don't feel comfortable getting the oil temps up that high.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

I think the LS-2/3 oil adaptor ports are the same as the LS-1/6. If that's the case, you can install an external oil cooler from many of the forum vendors that'll probably give you a 20-30 degree drop in oil temps. Don't know about cost, but the last one I installed on a LS-1 with LT headers (Kooks, I think) took between 1-2 hours.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
If you guys get bored, here is a vid of me chasing a buddy in his modded 996 GT3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bajp0WXt0

Towards the end of this session, my '08 Coupe got up to 292F with the extra quart of oil the owner's manual recommends and that is staying in 3rd and 4th gear. Does the Z06 oil cooler help that much? I really don't feel comfortable getting the oil temps up that high.
292F on a hot day is not abnormal. Some will say that is fine, other won't. My C6Z never gets that hot, but still gets to 250-260F. I ran my C5Z for several years hitting 260-290 without a problem. The extra quart is for lateral load and oil starvation, not for cooling. If you are concerned about temps, an aftermarket integrated radiator or oil cooler would work better than Z06. The EOC from Dewitts for example is a great great piece and will get your temps lower than my stock C6Z. I had one in my C5, and I can't remember my oil getting above 240F on the hottest day.

But really those temps are not abnormal, the only way to mitigate the problem without aftermarket is to short shift as the temps get hotter. Instead of redline every gear, shift at 5k rpm and the temps will go down very quickly. Usually the temps are only that high towards the very end of the session anyway, so backing down is the smart thing to do unless you want to spend some money.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Problem is, the temp was only upper 80's, so I'm hesitant to take it out on a 100 degree day here in Texas and thrash it. I wasn't shortshifting, but I wasn't popping down to 2nd like I typically would in a few corners.

Supposedly the C6 Z06 oil cooler is a direct replacement for the stock 'smaller' oil cooler in the '08 Coupe, so I am trying to figure out if that makes sense.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 coupe that I had the Z51 OEM oil cooler replaced with the Z06 cooler. I ran this past weekend at VIR with ambient temperature of 93 and my oil temp got to 295. Not sure what it would have been otherwise.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem is, the temp was only upper 80's, so I'm hesitant to take it out on a 100 degree day here in Texas and thrash it. I wasn't shortshifting, but I wasn't popping down to 2nd like I typically would in a few corners.

Supposedly the C6 Z06 oil cooler is a direct replacement for the stock 'smaller' oil cooler in the '08 Coupe, so I am trying to figure out if that makes sense.
I would strongly recommend an aftermarket rad with EOC and TOC. Do it once and be done with it. I have the Ron Davis piece and love it. I have yet to see oil over 265 with it. If I were to do it again now I might go with dewitts assuming theirs would give the same 30-40* temp drop as the RD has for me. I believe dewitts is designed to easily hook up to the stock lines, a true drop in. The RD racing that I have required custom braided lines and routing which adds to the cost. I think the cost of the Z06 unit is only maybe ~$200 lower than an entirely new rad/toc/eoc from dewitts espescially if you are going to install yourself.

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=382
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I imagine the Z06 cooler will work better than the OE, but unless you've got someone that can give you some specifics I'd look aftermarket. You can go full-bore with an aftermarket rad with integrated oil cooler, or you can mount an external oil cooler in front of the AC condensor.

I'm assuming you've run at MSR in the past (maybe not in your '08, though). 2 weeks ago, 100+ ambient temps, I ran a session about as hard as my tires would let me (1:26.xxx was my best video-recorded time). Using 3rd and 4th gear, for 20 minutes, my oil temps maxed out at 277, coolant around 235. Another great benefit is how quickly the temps will drop on a cooldown lap. Same session, coming off a 2/3rd cooldown lap, oil temps went from 275 down to 230s by the time I entered the pits, with coolant down into the 220s.

Whatever you do, you'll be happy you did it.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks liek a lot of fun. But I see two things that you need. 1. Harnesses, looks like you are adjusting your self in the seat after a turn a lot. 2. Exhaust, change out the quite stock for some throaty after market system so we don't have to listen to that bubmle bee sounding 993.
Not bashing the 993, they are cool cars, just didn't car for the way that one sounded. Just my $.02
Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Originally Posted by Gary04Z06
Looks liek a lot of fun. But I see two things that you need. 1. Harnesses, looks like you are adjusting your self in the seat after a turn a lot. 2. Exhaust, change out the quite stock for some throaty after market system so we don't have to listen to that bubmle bee sounding 993.
Not bashing the 993, they are cool cars, just didn't car for the way that one sounded. Just my $.02
I think he has AR headers and corsas. That videeo does not do the car justice, in person at full song it is a groundpounder .
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that you should go with an after market cooler/radiator and you won't have to worry about it. I hated having to monitor my temps before I got my Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler. Now I don't even check. Next for me are the trans and diff coolers.

The Porsche is loud, but sounds good. I liked his "trackday" lines with good entry, tight apexes, and not using all the track (leaving room for error) on the turn exits. Not the fastest, but probably the smartest.

Dog
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
292F on a hot day is not abnormal. Some will say that is fine, other won't. My C6Z never gets that hot, but still gets to 250-260F. I ran my C5Z for several years hitting 260-290 without a problem. The extra quart is for lateral load and oil starvation, not for cooling. If you are concerned about temps, an aftermarket integrated radiator or oil cooler would work better than Z06. The EOC from Dewitts for example is a great great piece and will get your temps lower than my stock C6Z. I had one in my C5, and I can't remember my oil getting above 240F on the hottest day.

But really those temps are not abnormal, the only way to mitigate the problem without aftermarket is to short shift as the temps get hotter. Instead of redline every gear, shift at 5k rpm and the temps will go down very quickly. Usually the temps are only that high towards the very end of the session anyway, so backing down is the smart thing to do unless you want to spend some money.
could not have said it better i put a lingenfelter external oil cooler in - dropped 10 degrees on the hottest track day and 20-30 degrees on cooler track days. 35 degrees cooler on the highway cruisin' 6th gear

what i like the best is the oil cools down twice as fast when you slow down a little!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Webz
I have an 08 coupe that I had the Z51 OEM oil cooler replaced with the Z06 cooler. I ran this past weekend at VIR with ambient temperature of 93 and my oil temp got to 295. Not sure what it would have been otherwise.
That's frustrating. I wonder if anyone has hard data on how much better the Z06 oil cooler is than the stock '08 external unit? I guess not a whole lot if you could still get your '08 Coupe up to 295 on a 93 degree day.

I'm running Texas Motor Speedway on August 9th. It's a night event, but it'll still probably be 90+. C6400hp, who would you recommend in DFW to install a Davis or Dewitts set-up? You can PM me if you want.

Mike, those are the oil temps I would like to have, high of 277 would be perfect, certainly on such a hot day at MSR. I have run MSR with the '08, but it was a one day deal with Apex. I was running street tires and still had my temp tag (brand new car), so I didn't push her too hard.

Gary04Z06, I do have a 1 7/8 AR header with 3" pipe, no cats, Corsa Z06 exhaust set-up on my '08 Coupe. It was one of the loudest cars on track, but I guess the sound wasn't picked up on vid.

Thanks for all the comments guys!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Default To give you an idea of the install procedure...

http://www.brazosrivercc.com/Tips.html has an oil cooler install guide I put together. If I had to do it again I'd forego the thermostat (I might just jerk it out this winter anyway) and put a blocker plate on the cooler when not headed to the track.

Good luck, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Quikag, I had 21CMC install mine,they did a great job, total was around $1200 IIRC. I think dewitts would be much cheaper using the stock lines. The LPE adapter and lines were ~$250-300 in additional cost. I think any of our local shops QMS,21CMC,LG could do it without issue. Price shop them. I would also talk to Dewitts and find out about hooking their unit up to the the stock lines, you may be able to do it yourself fairly easily.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Give us a call here at LG Motorsports and we can fix you up.

We have all parts for a dual cooler system that includes our LG Super Cool radiator PLUS a kit to include the stock Z06 cooler.

In the texas 100+ degree heat, we found that the dual coolers help significantly.

Give us a call.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary04Z06, I do have a 1 7/8 AR header with 3" pipe, no cats, Corsa Z06 exhaust set-up on my '08 Coupe. It was one of the loudest cars on track, but I guess the sound wasn't picked up on vid.

Thanks for all the comments guys!
That should sound good. Guess the camera mic was to far in front of the exhaust to really pick it up and could pick up the 993 easier.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info, C6400hp. I'll check around see what the deal is. I'll drop you a note too, Lou.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Eagles Canyon C6 vs. 996 GT3

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 AM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice save at about 6 minutes in BTW...

Listen to Lou. I'd get a cooler, and watch the oil levels. My C5 Z06 spun its main bearings from too many rounds in Wagon Wheel at MSR... I think the Z06 dry sump really addresses the oil starvation under G loading that my LS6 saw, no idea what an LS3 would get but probably about the same if you throw it around hard enough and run low on oil...

That said I would see regular temps of 285 to 295 on my Z06, and eventually get the trans overtemp warning on the display also (after 10 minutes of running at TMS). When that happened I would run a few laps at 7/10ths to cool things down, but I think the temps never caused a problem for me. At 100 ambient, you will just hit those same peak temperatures sooner. Also I would run some Water Wetter, which I am not really certain if it helped or not, but seemed to reduce temps a bit or at least delayed the heat a bit longer.

BR,
Mike

PS Is that Hill Bullock in the 996 you were chasing?

Last edited by MikeFleischer; 07-31-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Mike, thanks for the comments. I'm debating whether to get any additional cooling before the event. It's on august 9th, so it'll be here next weekend. The guy running the 996 is named Gerry. I do not recall his last name.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:00 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yup, got to keep them cool , that was me in the Red 29 C5 you passed (that may have been the session I cracked a rotor). I'm running a Ron Davis IOC Rad and love it. That same day/weekend I was running down the P cars and the oil stayed in the 260/270 max. My lap time were just over 2 minutes so I can tell you with out a doubt they work

See you at the track

Quick Reply: Video: Eagles Canyon C6 vs. 996 GT3