Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The answer to my cooling prayers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The solution to my cooling woes??

I hope so. Lets see if a fairing box will help get the air through the raditor. I will fabricate it from polyethelene sheet.

Last edited by RC45; 08-21-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you might be better making it with aluminum
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

good idea keep us posted
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you need another piece that fits under the breather, that setup looks like an awful lot places for the air to go other than through the radiator; unless I am missing something
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Paul,

I fabricated something in just the same way and used the plastic sheet. It worked out very well and my cooling issues were solved. I used the original shroud but ended up moving the front leading edge foward (imagine pivoting up the leading edge with a little trimming to fit against the front frame rail...the top is still anchered at the top of the radiator) and filling in the gaps along the edge with the plastic sheets. The only problem i faced was getting the air filter to fit. I had to get a smaller diameter filter for this to work. Will you re-use the original shroud or will you try and fabricate the top as well. Curious what you will do with the filter.

Chuck
Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you might be better making it with aluminum
That is in a future plan, once I get all the metal working tools lined up.

Originally Posted by KBlanke
Don't you need another piece that fits under the breather, that setup looks like an awful lot places for the air to go other than through the radiator; unless I am missing something
I am going to test at least two configurations - one that is open as shown using the hood as the "lid" of the air passageway - and another with a top direcitonal scoop attached to the top of the condensor/radiator assembly - and if needed, a completely closed model.

I am hoping to let my intake pickyback off the nice fresh air supply.

Originally Posted by Wasserott
Paul,

I fabricated something in just the same way and used the plastic sheet. It worked out very well and my cooling issues were solved. I used the original shroud but ended up moving the front leading edge foward (imagine pivoting up the leading edge with a little trimming to fit against the front frame rail...the top is still anchered at the top of the radiator) and filling in the gaps along the edge with the plastic sheets. The only problem i faced was getting the air filter to fit. I had to get a smaller diameter filter for this to work. Will you re-use the original shroud or will you try and fabricate the top as well. Curious what you will do with the filter.

Chuck
Chuck, I would like to keep my big Halltech KillerBee intake, as the 427ci motor really woke up when I let it breath deeper - I would hate to restrict myself with a smaller intake, so I will be testing the setup as is, and then with a scoop attached to the radiator/condensor top edge, but still allowing the inrushin air t fed the intake.

I might end up have to close off the box completely, but I have learned that air flow does not always behave in a logical manner, and testing all sorts of combinations is worth more in the long run - I may just stumble on one of th C5R/C6R "secrets" while I am at it hehe.

Paul

Last edited by RC45; 08-21-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

here's what ya need...
<---

Get notified of new replies

To The answer to my cooling prayers??

Quick Reply: The answer to my cooling prayers??