Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Systems

Alright guys trying to figure out which radio system is the best system to go with, and who sells it. We are building a full road course race car and trying to figure out what would be the best radio system to install in it. Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

anyone?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went with a setup from Racingelectronics.com. I think it was the Phirana, works real well.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by KBlanke
We went with a setup from Racingelectronics.com. I think it was the Phirana, works real well.
+1

If I had it to do again, I'd spring for the full custom earbuds - the semi-custom ones are not a great fit for me and a bit of a pain. I would also get the antenna that clams to the rollbar - thereby mounting inside the car. It didn't bother me drilling a hole in the trunk to mount mine, but the reception is not great at some longer tracks like VIR. Other than that, we love the system. We also got the scanner and had them wire it to the Crew headset. So, my wife geets scanner feed in one ear, and me in both ears.

Very slick system, they did a gerat job mounting all the parts in my helmet, and they have a great warranty - can't go wrong!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Alright guys trying to figure out which radio system is the best system to go with, and who sells it. We are building a full road course race car and trying to figure out what would be the best radio system to install in it. Any suggestions?
I've used both Motorola and Speedcom radios and definitely prefer the Speedcom 16 channel radio set up. As suggested you really will like the custom earbuds as they keep out a lot of extraneous noise. Speedcom is in Florida and can be reached at 386.760.7110

If you cant afford a new system ask Toto Lassily, the owner, about a used system or used radios and the rest new. He takes a lot of Motorola systems in trade from pro teams.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

I looked at speedcom but there weren't any prices on there site. I hate having to call and get some pricing. Has anyone tried the speakers in the helmet, or are earbuds a must for a loud car?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I looked at speedcom but there weren't any prices on there site. I hate having to call and get some pricing. Has anyone tried the speakers in the helmet, or are earbuds a must for a loud car?
Haven't ever tried the in-helmet speakers, but even with my earbuds I run the volume all the way up. It seems too loud in grid, but it's the only way that I can be sure I get a copy in the heat of battle.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Call Shawn at Sampson. Great products and they support racers. NASA discount.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by J.R.
Call Shawn at Sampson. Great products and they support racers. NASA discount.
How much is the NASA discount?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:26 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Has anyone tried the 30 mile FRS radios in a car. Was wondering how they work on a road course?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:11 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Default radios

FM is basic line of site. Without a tall antenna you will not have contact on places like Road Atlanta. Barber is not bad. Forget low power and try to stay above 450. Use a roof antenna with the radio. Plan on at least 4 radios. I found my best deal on that auction site and look for P100 or something like that. I am looking at mounting a 12 powered unit in the back of the car and bring wiring to driver. It seems we can not remember to turn radios off. Between the radio and camera the battery changing is getting in the way. I have used foam and custom molded but will be putting speakers in next helment. Again with trying to get everything hooked up that will mean just one less connection and one less cord to get tangled with the HANS. Be aware there are two different car harness model. NASCAR and IMSA. Most of us use the IMSA style connector.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by exracer28
FM is basic line of site. Without a tall antenna you will not have contact on places like Road Atlanta. Barber is not bad. Forget low power and try to stay above 450. Use a roof antenna with the radio. Plan on at least 4 radios. I found my best deal on that auction site and look for P100 or something like that. I am looking at mounting a 12 powered unit in the back of the car and bring wiring to driver. It seems we can not remember to turn radios off. Between the radio and camera the battery changing is getting in the way. I have used foam and custom molded but will be putting speakers in next helment. Again with trying to get everything hooked up that will mean just one less connection and one less cord to get tangled with the HANS. Be aware there are two different car harness model. NASCAR and IMSA. Most of us use the IMSA style connector.
What do you mean by stay above 450? FRS radios seem to be on UHF just like most race radios. They are both operating at 5 watts. FRS however offers thousands of combinations, where most race radios don't. I would think the range would be identical, assume you can mount an external antenna.

My car is pretty loud, I am wondering if I will be able to hear the speakers in the helmet. Seems to be one less thing I have to worry about when getting ready to get into the car.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:50 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

What do you mean by stay above 450? FRS radios seem to be on UHF just like most race radios. They are both operating at 5 watts. FRS however offers thousands of combinations, where most race radios don't. I would think the range would be identical, assume you can mount an external antenna.

My car is pretty loud, I am wondering if I will be able to hear the speakers in the helmet. Seems to be one less thing I have to worry about when getting ready to get into the car.
If you go with speakers in the helmet you will still need ear plugs to save your hearing. I ran Mazdas and hemi Toyotas before sound controls and develped tinitus which is a ringing in your ears. You dont want that, believe me. When I was racing those cars my hearing didnt come back until late tuesday from a weekend of racing. Good luck with your racing, but call Speedcome before you write them off.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Systems

Quick Reply: Radio Systems