Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood 600 fluid anyone use it? What DOT is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Wilwood 600 fluid anyone use it? What DOT is it?

I'm out of my fav Motul 600 and I'm offended by the $10+ shipping costs per container, so my speed shop sold me some Wilwood 600.

It doesn't say on the can what DOT it is...I need DOT 4, as I want to use it in my clutch. What lousy packaging and I can't find it on their website either. It does say not to mix it with other fluid...is this stuff synthetic?

Do they really mean don't mix it? I have to mix it in my clutch as I dont' have a bleeder. Or do they mean it won't have the same super high boiling point if you mix it.

Anyone use it and can tell me what it is?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm out of my fav Motul 600 and I'm offended by the $10+ shipping costs per container, so my speed shop sold me some Wilwood 600.

It doesn't say on the can what DOT it is...I need DOT 4, as I want to use it in my clutch. What lousy packaging and I can't find it on their website either. It does say not to mix it with other fluid...is this stuff synthetic?

Do they really mean don't mix it? I have to mix it in my clutch as I dont' have a bleeder. Or do they mean it won't have the same super high boiling point if you mix it.

Anyone use it and can tell me what it is?
It is at least DOT4. It says not to mix, becuase you can contaminate the new fluid by mixing it with sub-par fluid.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...-EXP/index.asp
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yes but is it synthetic? I recall that you cannot mix synthetic with regular or it just doesn't work...and bleeding my clutch is nigh impossible with headers so I don't want to screw it up.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

all brake fluid is synthetic...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Yes but is it synthetic? I recall that you cannot mix synthetic with regular or it just doesn't work...and bleeding my clutch is nigh impossible with headers so I don't want to screw it up.

I think you mean silicone, it's not silicone unless it says that.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by froggy47
I think you mean silicone, it's not silicone unless it says that.

AHHH you're correct. Is that DOT 5?

geez I'm out of the loop with brake fluid anymore. lol
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Yes. DOT 5 is Silicone. Do not under any circumstances use DOT in your car. I am sure you already know this. You can use 5.1 but no no on the 5.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Yes. DOT 5 is Silicone. Do not under any circumstances use DOT in your car. I am sure you already know this. You can use 5.1 but no no on the 5.
Right - This is what has me worried...the bottle doesn't say what DOT it is but to not mix it....if it's DOT 5 I'll be screwing up my slave cylinder which is NOT a cheap fix.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i use it in my car, no problems. there was a chart on here somewhere that listed all the wet boiling points and that was on the list of fluids that members here used.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I use it also. It is regular Brake Fluid. Whether DOT 3 or DOT 4 it doesn't matter. DOT 4 has a higher wet boiling point than DOT 3 but you are only interested in the dry boiling point anyways. Just make sure the bottles you have are hermetically sealed. I purchased some a couple of years ago that had the twist on tops like oil bottles have and there was no hermetic seal under the tops. Since the twist on top had been on tight I used the fluid but I boiled the fluid at the next track event. That was something I had never done before. Next batch I got had the twist on tops but were sealed properly and the fluid behaved properly. Their 570 fluid is good also. I use it more often than the other stuff because it is cheaper. Most racers use the 570.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-23-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I use it also. It is regular Brake Fluid. Whether DOT 3 or DOT 4 it doesn't matter. DOT 4 has a higher wet boiling point than DOT 3 but you are only interested in the dry boiling point anyways. Just make sure the bottles you have are hermetically sealed. I purchased some a couple of years ago that had the twist on tops like oil bottles have and there was no hermetic seal under the tops. Since the twist on top had been on tight I used the fluid but I boiled the fluid at the next track event. That was something I had never done before. Next batch I got had the twist on tops but were sealed properly and the fluid behaved properly. Their 570 fluid is good also. I use it more often than the other stuff because it is cheaper. Most racers use the 570.

Bill

Where is a good source for the Wilwood fluid? Raceshopper?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some shops still have GS610 left. That's a very good fluid too. I believe Wilwood bought the rights to the formula.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using the Wilwood 600. It is DOT 3/4 compatible. I'm using it in both the brakes and the clutch, no problems.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I've been using the Wilwood 600. It is DOT 3/4 compatible. I'm using it in both the brakes and the clutch, no problems.

Excellent. Thanks much, this answers my queston.

Best,
Joe
Old 11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Where is a good source for the Wilwood fluid? Raceshopper?
I get mine at the local circle track racer supply store. I am one of the few roadracers that goes there. The guys running the local dirt and asphalt tracks all run on tight budgets so prices are reasonable.

Bill
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have it and use it. It is really good fluid, $20 a bottle.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I just starting buying this stuff because its easy/quick to get from summit or jegs.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Exceeds DOT5.1 and all DOT3/4 ratings. However the cautionary note about mixing it is not that it will somehow 'hurt' you but it will greatly lower it's boiling point.

Fluids such as this have an extremely limited working life- like the weekend. After that they are working at a lower bp due to both moisture contamination and cross contamination. In short it is best when used from a sealed container and then added to a fully dry system. Sure, you can mix it with the old Castol or Valvoline and try to guess when the fluid looks clearer but just having some of the old in there means it's no longer at it's peak operating range.

Unless you truly need this level of protection (i.e. you're boiling some good quality stuff now and really are flushing that as often as you should be if so) then buying this won't make much sense. Or make your brakes brake any better. Short of a few circle track pavement customers I sell to I don't move much of this to anyone. For most the conventional 570 is more than adequate and at $6 a better value.

Of course I can get both for you if you insist.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Use the Wilwood 600 year round. Track the car 4 or 5 times a year and bleed the brakes before each event. In between events, I leave the fluid alone. No problem on the street. Use Prestone Dot 4 for the clutch. Also bleed this (Ranger system) before each event. I get the brake fluid at Zip Products.

Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood 600 fluid anyone use it? What DOT is it?

Quick Reply: Wilwood 600 fluid anyone use it? What DOT is it?