Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cordless impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the chinese POS harbor fright one...it was terrible.

Upgraded to the dewalt 18v and it is awesome!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,738 Likes on 787 Posts

Milwaukee 28.8V. Mine came with two batteries, but one is typically good for an entire weekend. Excellent quality and lots of power!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Dewalt 18V 300 FT/LB impact. I have used it for two years without a problem. I get 3 tire changes on a battery charge before it gets too low to break the lugs loose at 100FT / lbs, the kit came with 2 batteries so it is more than enough to get me through a weekend. I have charged the batteries about 25 times and they are still going strong. I found it on the web for $ 275 shipped with 2 batteries. Very Happy.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

COOL! I started my x-mas list just now! Gotta get the list grandma before she starts her shopping!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 AM
poser
Instructor

i use one like this...got it from walmart for $20 over 5 years ago...i think they still have a comparable version of it...

12v, plugs into cigarette lighter adaptor, so no need to worry about charging batteries, or batteries dying on you...

can spin off lugs torqued to 100ft lbs...will torque up to that also, but i just let it "click twice" (there's an internal motor that spools up then a clutch will engage to give the "impact") and lugs are torqued to 90ft lbs and i just do the rest by hand with a torque wrench...

mines is still working after all this time, and when doing small things where i need the wheels off, it's much more convenient to use this than to have to fire up the compressor...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by poser
i use one like this...got it from walmart for $20 over 5 years ago...i think they still have a comparable version of it...

12v, plugs into cigarette lighter adaptor, so no need to worry about charging batteries, or batteries dying on you...

can spin off lugs torqued to 100ft lbs...will torque up to that also, but i just let it "click twice" (there's an internal motor that spools up then a clutch will engage to give the "impact") and lugs are torqued to 90ft lbs and i just do the rest by hand with a torque wrench...

mines is still working after all this time, and when doing small things where i need the wheels off, it's much more convenient to use this than to have to fire up the compressor...
I one have too! they work great! even used it to get my power steering pulley off HAD A LUG REMOVAL CONTEST WITH A 120 DOLLAR CORDLESS AT THE TRACK AND I BEAT HIM!

I wore mine out though. had to get another one. lasted the whole year and i change tires ALOT!

30 bucks a year aint bad. plus no battery to die on you
Old 12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Does anyone have experience with this Northern Tool Impact Driver?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategory%20Page

I always thought the Northern Tool represented higher quality tools and parts. Is that your opinion also?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
poser
Instructor

Originally Posted by rustyguns
I one have too! they work great! even used it to get my power steering pulley off HAD A LUG REMOVAL CONTEST WITH A 120 DOLLAR CORDLESS AT THE TRACK AND I BEAT HIM!
awesome!!! people at the races come up to me and cant believe i use it...they dont think it can torque the lugs down enough...

i thought i copy/pasted a link in my original post, but i guess i didnt do it...here's a ebay link to one (not my auction, and his asking price is more than what i got it for new)

http://uucurl.com/x.php?p=2839

i change tires on my auto-x car AT LEAST once a month, and it doesnt account for the fact that i use it on all my other car, and when friends borrow it, etc...lasted me a long time (going on 5+ years)...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,402 Likes on 750 Posts

So, I guess I'm the only dweeb here that uses a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts and just use a simple cordless drill with a socket adapter to spin the nuts off/on? It'll torque them down snug, then they're torqued down normally.

Then you can get some other goodies for Christmas!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
30 bucks a year aint bad. plus no battery to die on you
Unfortunately I don't have a cigarrette lighter in my car, and I'm not going to worry about parking near my truck so the cord will reach. Cordless is necessary.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
So, I guess I'm the only dweeb here that uses a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts and just use a simple cordless drill with a socket adapter to spin the nuts off/on? It'll torque them down snug, then they're torqued down normally.
Yup, I'm with ya. That's what I've been doing for years, just trying to eliminate a step. Not to mention half the time I forget to break them loose before jacking up the car, and trying to find someone to step on the brakes isn't always easy.

After changing tires about 8 times in a three day weekend (at Nationals, with rain one hour and sun the next), it would have made a big difference. Not to mention the time saved when you're waiting until the last possible minute before the race to make the change, in case the weather changes again.

It's cordless impact for me!

Last edited by ScaryFast; 12-05-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Craftsman cordless and it's okay as long as it's charged which is about after a full day of use.

My father has a Milwaukee corded impact and if you have a power source at the track, I would highly recommend that one. It's great and much better than the Craftsman. I've considered buying one because there are plenty of outlets to plug in to at VIR and it doesn't seem any more inconvenient than a cordless.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 AM
C5-vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Z07coupe

I always thought the Northern Tool represented higher quality tools and parts. Is that your opinion also?
I have one, it seems to have enough power. I tested up to 140ft.lbs and no problem. Although I have not used it for an entire weekend it does appear to be a descent tool for the money
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone here is interested I have a Milwaukee 28.8V brand new never used. I got it on a trade and never used it. Would like $325 and can negociate for the shipping.

This is a big impact gun, certainly not suited for women or men with small arms!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Miaugi
This is a big impact gun, certainly not suited for women or men with small arms!
True, big it is, but most of us can use the weight training! I am not exactly petite, so it fits me well.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a C.M.T. Monster Torque 24V 300ft-lbs of torque.
i paid $70 for it 3 years ago... i think you can find it online for about $125 now.
Just Google it.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I just found this on Buy.com. When I saw it, I thought of this thread.

http://www.buy.com/prod/18v-cordless...208113583.html

Is it a decent deal? What's the difference between this and a 28.8v?

From another site, this is what it includes.

LXT Lithium-Ion battery and optimum charging system produces 430% total lifetime work with 2.5x more cycles
Makita built, 4-pole maximum torque motor delivers 1,330 in. lbs. of efficient torque in a compact size
50% more compact design at only 5-3/4" long and weighs only 3.4 lbs. for less operator fatigue
Ergonomic shape fits like a glove with even pressure and easy control
Built-in L.E.D. light for more illuminated work
Makita?s proprietary hammer and anvil are made using the highest quality steel and heat hardened to last longer
Electric brake for immediate stops and minimizes kickback
Two-piece armature and field along with externally accessible brushes for serviceability and longer motor life
LXT Lithium-Ion provides longer run time, 5x lower self-discharge (for use any time) and 16 firm holding contact terminals (for constant high power)
30-Minute Rapid Optimum Charger communicates with the battery's built-in chip throughout the charging process to optimize battery life by actively controlling current, voltage and temperature
30-Minute Rapid Optimum Charger has a built-in fan to cool the battery to produce more lifetime work
3-year warranty on tool and 1-year warranty on battery & charge
Includes:
2 Lithium-Ion 3.0Ah batteries (BL1830)
1 Rapid Optimum Battery Charger (DC18RA)
Tool case (824753-5)
Rugged tool belt hook (324705-1)
Plastic battery cover (450128-8)
Capacity Hex Shank 1/4"
No Load RPM 0 - 2,300
Impacts 0 - 3,200 IPM
Watt Hours 54
Battery(Ah) 3.0

Last edited by xsiveone; 12-08-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

That is for screwdriver bits:

"Capacity Hex Shank 1/4"" it does not have a 1/2 inch square shank for a socket.
and 1330 in-lbs is only 110 ft-lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To What cordless impact wrench?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,954 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe

I have been using one since last year. It does lug nuts and caliper bracket bolts which is what I purchased it for. I also purchased the extended warranty which covers the tool and the batteries. I don't use it often which can lead to early battery death but so far the batteries seem to be holding up.

Bill
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
That is for screwdriver bits:

"Capacity Hex Shank 1/4"" it does not have a 1/2 inch square shank for a socket.
and 1330 in-lbs is only 110 ft-lbs.
Doh! :o
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would definatly look into the Milwaukee 2 of my customers have them and they work great no guess, it will last you the weekend and then some. These guys have had them for 3 years with no probelms.

Oh here is a little YouTube on the Milwaukee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziClCExVeF4
Enjoy, Joel

Quick Reply: What cordless impact wrench?