Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone at PRI

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
ACP Wing
Great photos. Thanks for the info. With regards to the ACP wing I have to say that the drag penalty for that mount is huge. The actual attachment to the wing is pretty good but everything that is vertical is just plain awful.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burners
Great photos. Thanks for the info. With regards to the ACP wing I have to say that the drag penalty for that mount is huge. The actual attachment to the wing is pretty good but everything that is vertical is just plain awful.
I have a few pictures of other wings as well you might want to look at then.

But what do you mean about this? are you saying because they are flat vertical pieces that there is a lot of drag associated with the wing mounting?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:31 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the pic gallery link.

Hopefully next year I'll make it down there.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zoom Zoom to the locker room-for a cold shower.

Randy
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

spazegun2213, I would like to see your other photos as well. I'm not saying because they are flat. It is because they are blunt and square edged and not streamlined one bit. A rounded leading edge would make a big difference. This is especially important around the wing itself (probably within 2" vertically of it) because it disrupts airflow all around the support. It is certainly causing drag and may even be reducing the amount of down force the wing is making by causing turbulence.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I just talked with Gary (Hardbar) Hoffman, if your trying to get a hold of him, he got hit by the icestorm.

He had to cut his trip to PRI short and come back.

He's up on generator power, but his internet is down.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/spazegun2213/PRI

The rest are there... I need a better camera if I'm going to be doing this "press" thing again next year
Thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burners
spazegun2213, I would like to see your other photos as well. I'm not saying because they are flat. It is because they are blunt and square edged and not streamlined one bit. A rounded leading edge would make a big difference. This is especially important around the wing itself (probably within 2" vertically of it) because it disrupts airflow all around the support. It is certainly causing drag and may even be reducing the amount of down force the wing is making by causing turbulence.
here are a few others, but i dont have that exact view of all the wings.. now i wish i had.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great photos. Thanks for sharing! On the last page there are a few closeup suspension/brake photos of a blue white vehicle. What car is that?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

My critique of the wing mounts are: The first photo of the white C6 has an ok mount. Although it could stand to be a little longer so the fasteners and double thickness of the two plates are further from the wing element. I does, however, look like the thickness of the plates is rather substantial and unnecessary. It makes it even worse if the leading edge is square.

Number 2 photo of the yellow car is just awful. Those big fittings and huge fastener heads make for all kinds of turbulence. Not good at all.

The green car is pretty good but would be even better if the fasteners where moved 2" away from the wing element.

Here is a photo I came across that shows what I'm talking about.

If you look closely you will notice how there are lines spreading out like a V or a boat wake from the bottom to the top (which correlates to the leading edge on the bottom). This is a visualization of what the air is doing. Any place inside where there are no lines is turbulent air and is doing no good for generating down force. In this case the wing may as well be 6" shorter because the mounts are effectively reducing the span by that much yet it is adding drag as well.

Last edited by burners; 12-17-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone at PRI