Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bearnest
got my roters from advance today, heavy duty also means they will be
cross drilled. guess I will be getting dba 4000 or 5000. anybody know the differancs or a good vender to buy from??
Try post 7 for a link
Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a "roter"??
Old 07-11-2009, 02:04 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fhturner
What is a "roter"??
Thanks for asking the question. I bit my tongue so I wouldn't ask. It's amazing how some of our forum brothers murder the language. Failure of our school system...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Almost all of the slotted or drilled rotors are created from standard rotors. Drilled is pure bling. It's fine for the street - terrible for the track.

If you want a quick easy rotor test just weigh them. The bad ones will be a lot lighter. Then measure the air gap. If it's not the same as an OE rotor you want another brand.

One last quick easy check is for all the old timers. Remember how we used to check crankshafts with a hammer. A good forged cranshadt had a ring to it. The bad cast cranks just went thud. Well you can do the same thing with brake rotors. The good ones will have a ring. This test takes a little practice though.

Richard Newton
Twitter
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 AM
bearnest
Pro

Default roters

Sorry about spelling. this is not about failure of our school systems it
about corvetts. please keep your replies to topic or post somewere else. ps failure of our goverment gonzalez does not sound like from
around here??? another failure of our goverment
Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

trying to get a feel for this... i will have a set of AC Delco drilled/slotted rotors available this weekend. they have about 1500 miles on them (normal driving only). my autocrossing BF says they would be a good set for track use, etc (versus looking nice). there isnt anything wrong with them but they arent pretty and im putting new ATE's on this weekend. does anyone here think there would be an interest for these rotors?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bearnest
Sorry about spelling. this is not about failure of our school systems it
about corvetts. please keep your replies to topic or post somewere else. ps failure of our goverment gonzalez does not sound like from
around here??? another failure of our goverment
I'm as much a US citizen as you are. The main difference between us is that I can write proper English.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
bearnest
Pro

Default roters

new roters from advance are 248.00 for all four. these are cross drilled
also. trackrats are tring to get away from drilled because they crack so
quick. they are also expensive to ship, good luck with them.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its funny that this is like the 3rd post I have seen in a couple weeks about rotors, and people sharing their experience about the cheap ones always cracking...

Good luck on finding rotors that last and that wont cost you an arm and a leg. I recommend finding a place that warranties their rotors, like I have, and get replacements for free...

Last edited by throwit; 07-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We used to render a new set of front 'auto parts store' rotors AND GM rotors useless (with HAWK pads) in just over one weekend. We'd take them back.......sure enough, they would give us a new set. It was nice.....but a pain in the butt hauling multiple sets of rotors around KNOWING we were going to destroy them. Fixed the problem. Cobalt. We are using the GM stock replacement rotors now and are coming up on our 5th weekend (new pads week 4) along with two test days and two (2 driver) autocrosses (20+ runs)......

Enough said. Pics here....... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...lt-brakes.html

Lets play nice.......

Last edited by CP Thunder; 07-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Cobalt.
What compound??
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

XR1.......front and rear. Amazing rotor wear and pad life. The folks at Cobalt are VERY CUSTOMER ORIENTED and really excel at customer communication.........make sure you check out my pics....

Thanks Andie..(our Cobalt rep)...you guys have a great product !!
Attached Images  

Last edited by CP Thunder; 07-14-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...make sure you check out my pics....
Thanks Andie..(our Cobalt rep)...you guys have a great product !!

OK I know that I am not real smart but there seems to be something missing from the center of the wheel/hub/rotor.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by beerkat
OK I know that I am not real smart but there seems to be something missing from the center of the wheel/hub/rotor.
The new heavy duty SKF hubs are all designed to work on any corner and therefore, have the axle bearing 'hole' in case they are mounted on the rear. Actually, there is something in there that doesn't belong........a piece of tire rubber found its way in........

We got ours from http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/123 ..... Another great company with outstanding customer support!! Josh and Sara are great to work with.

Last edited by CP Thunder; 07-14-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
sasnglass77
Race Director

Originally Posted by rfn026
Almost all of the slotted or drilled rotors are created from standard rotors. Drilled is pure bling. It's fine for the street - terrible for the track.

If you want a quick easy rotor test just weigh them. The bad ones will be a lot lighter. Then measure the air gap. If it's not the same as an OE rotor you want another brand.

One last quick easy check is for all the old timers. Remember how we used to check crankshafts with a hammer. A good forged cranshadt had a ring to it. The bad cast cranks just went thud. Well you can do the same thing with brake rotors. The good ones will have a ring. This test takes a little practice though.

Richard Newton
Twitter

The cost to benefit isn't worth it...or wasn't when i looked into them when they first started to come on the scene, some of us who drove without abs/asr and adjustable ride suspensions, discovered some cheap dryer duct placed in lieu of the front parking lights cooled the brakes and rotors just fine.
Heat the brakes on stops and cool them down using your acceleration. That work for a few guys that had c4's that use to run with.
Originally Posted by khblair
trying to get a feel for this... i will have a set of AC Delco drilled/slotted rotors available this weekend. they have about 1500 miles on them (normal driving only). my autocrossing BF says they would be a good set for track use, etc (versus looking nice). there isnt anything wrong with them but they arent pretty and im putting new ATE's on this weekend. does anyone here think there would be an interest for these rotors?

I think you are in the wrong section for gauging interest in deco mods.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 PM
MizzGem
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by khblair

Pretty sure trying to sell something here in the WRONG section would be agaist forum rules............no?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by MizzGem
Pretty sure trying to sell something here in the WRONG section would be agaist forum rules............no?
dont u have anything better to do than stalk my posts?

Last edited by khblair; 07-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To roters

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
lbarnard
Racer

raceshopper.com will hook you up on what you need for rotors and pads! You cannot beat their prices or service! You won't be disappointed!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

whar can find roatars? pleese hlep.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The new heavy duty SKF hubs are all designed to work on any corner and therefore, have the axle bearing 'hole' in case they are mounted on the rear. Actually, there is something in there that doesn't belong........a piece of tire rubber found its way in........

We got ours from http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/123 ..... Another great company with outstanding customer support!! Josh and Sara are great to work with.
Thanks you.

Quick Reply: roters