Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rotors do you Road Course on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
There are some measurements you need to check with your rotors. The critical one is the "air gap". A lot of companies are enlarging the air gap (the width of the vanes actually). This means it takes less steel to make a rotor. When you use less steel you can make a lot more money.

There are several lawsuits over this. The Feds say they're "monitoring the situation. Raybestos is running some informative ads in the trade publications over the whole situation.

I've got an article coming out shortly in Corvette Fever that gets into all the details.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
I posted that about 2 weeks ago and it was an interesting article.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I know you said you dont like the cheep ones but i have been getting 2 or 3 events out of a set of Napa Rotors .... At 40 bucks each I dont think i can beat that deal. Say I moved to a 200 buck rotor I do not think its going to last 4 times as long ... I do try and take care of them at HPDE ... I am not running at 100% every lap I may go ***** to the walls a few laps then run 80% to let them cool down and run again ... then after checker flag if possible I try to never touch the brakes..... running through the pits down the road for a few minutes to cool them down ....
Raliegh, as posted by SLandstra who had 75 sessions on his front rotors or about 35 events, if you were to compare with your $40 rotor you are paying $464 for each rotor over that time. It would be cheaper for you to buy the two piece. They actually should go longer then 75 sessions but because we made the wrong pad choice we ended up losing the rotor. His rear has over 130 sessions on it. You would be cheaper and then when it came time to replace them you only have to buy the rings. Not to mention you are changing each rotor 11.6 times vs. once.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
Ok, Baer's suck *** for road courses. Once I went to a good friction pad they cracked so bad it looked like the economy!
Which Baer rotors are you referring to, they have several.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This is the best explanation I've seen in the differences between the cheap rotors and the good ones.

btw - I just priced new rotors from Wilwood. It's $189 for just the dam* rotor. I've already got the top hats.I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the two piece rotor and going with something like the Raybestos. I only run track days and I never had a problem with regular rotors.

Richard Newton
Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DBA 4000 fronts, OEM rears. Carbotech XP10/8 pad combo. Extra cooling ducts for front. Happy with the setup so far.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
igo380
Racer

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
DBA 4000 fronts, OEM rears. Carbotech XP10/8 pad combo. Extra cooling ducts for front. Happy with the setup so far.
How many sessions do you get out of a set?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Originally Posted by igo380
How many sessions do you get out of a set?
So far, 4 hard track days on the DBA 4000's and they are still looking very good. I'm thinking they will last 10 events. Mosport is not terrible on brakes, but my OEM fronts would develop hairline cracks after a couple of sessions and be pretty much toast after a full track day, two at the most.

I think the biggest difference is this year I also had my shop install some custom duct cooling to blow air directly onto the rotors. Haven't had any fluid issues at all (I use Motul RBF 600) and I'm sure it's contributing to the rotor life. Very cheap mod, too. I forget what he charged me, but it was peanuts compared to the price of rotors and pads.

The Carbo pads are quite nice. Not the best feel for modulation, but still adequate in that department. But they wear very well. Maybe 5 or 6 days on a set of fronts. Just switched to their 1-piece front pads and have had 2 days on 'em. I'll see how long they last, but I'm guessing even longer than the padlets b/c larger surface area.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
rad_vet
Racer

What does it feel like when a rotor cracks on the track? Front end vibration under braking or something worse?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by rad_vet
What does it feel like when a rotor cracks on the track? Front end vibration under braking or something worse?
Yes, on my car I could even see the hood jump up and down. I've found uneven pad deposits to be more of a fast light pulsing and cracks to be more of a heavy slower frequency pulsing.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've cracked them and never noticed a thing on the track. When I got back into the pits I could hear a weird ticking sound under light brake application.

I also seen some really good drivers never even notice a cracked rotor. The cracked rotor was only found when we did a visual inspection. That's why your car should be looked at very carefully before you go back for the next session.

Richard Newton
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I put new rear rotors on my truck, and I did indeed notice they were THIN. These rotors are definately disposable. 1 set of pads= new rotors.

They were rock auto specials. I forget the brand.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
In my experience all the high end two piece rotors with aluminum hats are really good quality. Personally I use stoptechs (the entire 14" kit) and have found they last extremely long. I've used their stuff on race cars in the past with same results. FWIW, my most recent replacement rings from them are cast in Italy. From some very trustworthy sources I've been told that performance friction makes about as good a rotor as anyone. Brembo, alcon, and AP are up there as well. In most cases you get what you pay for with this stuff.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

I used the OEM ones, but I cyrotreated them. The crossdrilled holes had no surface cracks at all after two track days.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I use Performance AFX rotors on my racecar with Cobalt Friction brake pads. Ran the entire season last year on 1 set of front rotors and 2 sets of front brake pads.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
630-844-0089
These are what I'm running front and rear. Using Cobalt Friction pads, XR2 on the front and XR3 on the back.
Just bought new replacement rings after 70+ sessions got about 50 sessions on the front pads.
When i used to run Hawk DTC-70 and DTC60 I would get about 16 sessions on the pads and the NAPA rotors.

Last edited by geerookie; 08-02-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by rad_vet
In my experience driving and hanging out with some very "seasoned" track rats, rotors crack during cool down. Its very improtant to give them a proper cool down and actually move the car a few feet about 5 minutes after parking. this will get the hot pads on a different spot on the rotors. I have yet to see a rotor crack under heavy braking. I notice it when heading out for a session or checking the car out for an upcoming session.

I run Rock Auto or NAPA rotors. Carbotech 12 F and 10 R. Ducting.

Bob
Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
In my experience driving and hanging out with some very "seasoned" track rats, rotors crack during cool down. Its very improtant to give them a proper cool down and actually move the car a few feet about 5 minutes after parking. this will get the hot pads on a different spot on the rotors. I have yet to see a rotor crack under heavy braking. I notice it when heading out for a session or checking the car out for an upcoming session.

I run Rock Auto or NAPA rotors. Carbotech 12 F and 10 R. Ducting.

Bob
Yep...

In all honesty, I run stock rotors from napa/oem style as well.
I run Carbotech XP10 F and XP8 R... they heat spot them but the rotors last just fine for me, for the price they really can't be beat.
I don't even have any ducting beside stock, it is on my to do list tho.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 PM
11psiGSR
Instructor

I recently switched to ATE rotors with HP+ pads. At the end of my second track day, the front rotors were warped and showed surface cracking. Stay away from ATE if you track your car.

I have a new set of OEM GM rotors with a new set of HP+ pads that I am going to switch to. Hopefully I will get better results.

I run Cobalt XR3/XR5 on my other track car (Integra) and have been very impressed. I went with the HP+ on the Vette out of sheer laziness. Wanted to avoid swapping pads after an HPDE.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I have DBA4000 fronts with Hawks HP+ and just HP+ on the stock rear rotors in the back. The stock fronts have gave up with two track days while the DBA4000 is approaching 12 events and i think i can go 2-3 more on them.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by argonaut
At advanced intermediate pace I got 6 track days out of Rock Auto's Centric rotors. XP10/8 and DRM/Quantum ducts. This was at tracks that aren't particullary hard on brakes though.
So far I've had good luck with the Centric rotors too.

Quick Reply: Which Rotors do you Road Course on?