Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Sidewall Deflection Picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I once overheard a certain T1 driver tells someone to start with those very low Pressures and the Hosier guy was standing right there and said I wouldn't recommend that for him because he doesn't have your tire budget and is running a narrower tire. I asked him about it and he said if you are running a wide tire like on a Vette or Viper you can get away with low pressures but the tire will be junk after (keep that in mind with buying scrubs).

So yes T1 guys do run very low pressures, I did go out by mistake last month and came back in and I had a front that had only 12 psi hot :o so it will stay on the rim.

On another note this is for you John I beat the Official TTS track record by over a second on Sunday (Mid Ohio) and I went out with cold tire pressures of close to 30 and they were just about 40 psi hot. I set my 6th track record of the year and I normally run 32-36 hot and will run my A6 up to 14-16 heat cycles
Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

That's a very good point Ken

tire width to rim with plays a very big part.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I once overheard a certain T1 driver tells someone to start with those very low Pressures and the Hosier guy was standing right there and said I wouldn't recommend that for him because he doesn't have your tire budget and is running a narrower tire. I asked him about it and he said if you are running a wide tire like on a Vette or Viper you can get away with low pressures but the tire will be junk after (keep that in mind with buying scrubs).

So yes T1 guys do run very low pressures, I did go out by mistake last month and came back in and I had a front that had only 12 psi hot :o so it will stay on the rim.

On another note this is for you John I beat the Official TTS track record by over a second on Sunday (Mid Ohio) and I went out with cold tire pressures of close to 30 and they were just about 40 psi hot. I set my 6th track record of the year and I normally run 32-36 hot and will run my A6 up to 14-16 heat cycles
So what works for some doesn't work for all. Near 30 cold and 40 hot I could see even on my car. For the average guy running HPDE I don't think they want to toast the tires in two 20 minute sessions. That is for someone racing where you win by a foot or less. Still don't see myself at 20 or even 25. So do SCCA T-1 cars ahve ducts to the brakes?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/new_products.htm

and most of us run either a 295 or 315 front tire
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/new_products.htm

and most of us run either a 295 or 315 front tire
that or spindle duct too?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
In Jan, 2009 at ACS (formerly California Speeday) all 3 T-1 drivers were under the old track record. All on A6 and starting under 20 lb.

I had the record at the end of Saturday afternoon's regional race (1:48.0xx from the old 1:48.4xx)...as well as a bent rt rr toe adjuster from a visit with the tire barrier. I knew I could still have been faster since my in-car lap-timer showed a 1:47.6xx best lap. Personal beacons at this track are placed in the infield, far from start/finish, so I just put the wrong two half-laps together, compared to official T&S. On Sunday morning Ryan and Oli went out in the national race and both went well under my approx. 18-hour old record. Oli doing a 1:47.2xx and Ryan coming away with the record at 1:47.0xx.
what did they end up hot starting under 20?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been running my tires at LF 22 RF 23 LR 20.5 RR at 22

End up at about 30-31 hot

P-zero Grand-am scrubs...
Randy
Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
that or spindle duct too?
Those are T1 legal along with flex hose to the rotor using the Phoenix Performance holder. (below is actually on my street car which I used to track before getting the race car)

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

So what works for some doesn't work for all.
Exactly. This is why the Miata comments are useless in this thread. And autocrossing is a whole different game than being on a road course, and TT is somewhat different than W2W. BTW, I run somewhere between 11 and 14 lbs when autocrossing. Really. I am NOT kidding. Did I mention that is in a shifter kart?

Near 30 cold and 40 hot I could see even on my car. For the average guy running HPDE I don't think they want to toast the tires in two 20 minute sessions. That is for someone racing where you win by a foot or less. Still don't see myself at 20 or even 25.
Agree on the HPDE comments.

If we had limitless resources we would do our own thorough testing and perhaps be doing something very different.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Those are T1 legal along with flex hose to the rotor using the Phoenix Performance holder. (below is actually on my street car which I used to track before getting the race car)

Thanks
Curious can you shield tie rod ends or is that not allowed? What else in the class this year as far as cars? I guess that spindle is the approved part or anyones can be used?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Curious can you shield tie rod ends or is that not allowed? What else in the class this year as far as cars? I guess that spindle is the approved part or anyones can be used?
Allowed.
Not sure what the 2nd question means.
The hub can be factory/aftermarket replacement type or the new SKF hub (designed after the ZR1 hub) which was just approved in 2009. I have a set sitting in a box.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

dayum
Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure it matters, but we run 27f 24 rear +/- 1-2lbs depending upon conditions on the autocross course. When it is hot we start 2-3lbs lower.

Fej
Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Allowed.
The hub can be factory/aftermarket replacement type or the new SKF hub (designed after the ZR1 hub) which was just approved in 2009. I have a set sitting in a box.
Intelligent life discovered @ the SCCA
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Exactly. This is why the Miata comments are useless in this thread. And autocrossing is a whole different game than being on a road course, and TT is somewhat different than W2W. BTW, I run somewhere between 11 and 14 lbs when autocrossing. Really. I am NOT kidding. Did I mention that is in a shifter kart?

Agree on the HPDE comments.

If we had limitless resources we would do our own thorough testing and perhaps be doing something very different.

I got you beat Steve, 12/13 racing on track!

in my formula ford
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Allowed.
I meant is any spindle duct allowed or just Phoenix?

thanks

guess they are finally making better racing by allowing up grades that don't cost a bunch but help a lot..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

I meant is any spindle duct allowed or just Phoenix?

thanks

guess they are finally making better racing by allowing up grades that don't cost a bunch but help a lot..
Just the Phoenix/DRM combo on Corvettes.

The also allowed us to run the regular C6 front calipers which supposedly last longer. They use same pad as C5.
Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Intelligent life discovered @ the SCCA

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Sidewall Deflection Picture

Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...th=12_26_27_31

I submitted these to the CRB for consideration......should hear this month in the FASTRACK whether or not it has been approved......
Old 08-19-2009, 04:52 AM
worldsaway
Racer

[QUOTE=Bimota Guy;1571173780]Exactly. This is why the Miata comments are useless in this thread. And autocrossing is a whole different game than being on a road course, and TT is somewhat different than W2W.

Whether I'm in the miata, C4, or Z06 the principles and physics are the same. I think setup affects how much tire pressure is required, whether the car is setup loose. And fortunately the timer doesn't give an opinion, just the facts.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by worldsaway
Whether I'm in the miata, C4, or Z06 the principles and physics are the same. I think setup affects how much tire pressure is required, whether the car is setup loose. And fortunately the timer doesn't give an opinion, just the facts.
so youre saying talking about how much pressure a miata starts with is relevant to this discussion?

Quick Reply: Hoosier Sidewall Deflection Picture