Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html

Although silicone is not listed there are similar type materials that I think would show a huge difference from SS to silicone. Metal will transfer more heat to the air not retain it.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-18-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Otto Mos
I understand that it's your life. It's just good to have the facts, because that will tell you what is really causing the problem. My engineering colleagues here test such things. It's the pads and brake fluid you need to avoid a sinking pedal (which may be boiling fluid as you say or expelled gases from the pad material).

A race pad is usually the best initial cure. The more aggressive, the more heat stays in the rotor which is made to take it. I might run a slightly too aggressive compound (sparks flying from the pad/rotor interface) but I'd rather overheat the rotors than anything else.
boiled fluid contains gases and they are more compressible than fluids so you get a long pedal. Most modern pads are supposed to not out gas.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow. Wish I had found this a month ago. Greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into to thread. Now I can stop pounding sand on the internet and spend sometime with the wife. You may have saved my marriage; you're a hell of a doctor.
I just jacked up the ol' credit card at Quantum, Hard Brakes and Elite. Those guys owe you
BTW-tried to order the Cryo Stop rotors for my base C6 (fronts) and they don't have them at Tire Rack. Called and confirmed it. WTF?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Wow. Wish I had found this a month ago. Greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into to thread. Now I can stop pounding sand on the internet and spend sometime with the wife. You may have saved my marriage; you're a hell of a doctor.
I just jacked up the ol' credit card at Quantum, Hard Brakes and Elite. Those guys owe you
BTW-tried to order the Cryo Stop rotors for my base C6 (fronts) and they don't have them at Tire Rack. Called and confirmed it. WTF?
I think cryo is a waste just season them on the car night before.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Welcome. This time of year track prep is in full gear, a lot of supplies go short.. and will restock again in may. Buy now for your season if you can
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Otto Mos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I think cryo is a waste just season them on the car night before.
I agree, don't bother with cryo. It's snake oil as long as they can't provide data on how it actually improves anything important like thermal capacity or thickness variation.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zenak
Welcome. This time of year track prep is in full gear, a lot of supplies go short.. and will restock again in may. Buy now for your season if you can
with the economy I doubt much is short. If it is it is because nobody is keeping inventory on hand. What has been short this year or last?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Otto Mos
Um that's wrong.... silicone is a heat insulator. Metals are conductors.
bet you would rather hold on to a 150* piece of silicone than cast iron.

Think what radiators are made of to radiate heat.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-01-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Otto Mos
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
bet you would rather hold on to a 150* piece of silicone than cast iron.

Think what radiators are made of to radiate heat.
Exactly. Aluminum is one of the best heat conductors so what better material to make a radiator of to *conduct* heat out of the engine.!

I think copper might be the best readily available conductor. But look at this, on Wikipedia it says diamonds are the best for heat conductivity... I did not expect that! Seeing as carbon is not a metal.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I would never of guessed that either.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
chad156
Intermediate

Did I miss a section on traction control/active handling on vrs traction control/active handling off vrs competitive driving mode.

Just picked up a C5Z and will be doing some HPDE and AX, i would assume that most race prepped cars have this turned off in the computer. Is OFF the best option or is there some value to the competitive driving mode?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Comp mode is good for when it is raining, and for when you first start tracking. After a few events I turned mine off, but it helped me to not spin when I was learning. Once you know the car, its a little intrusive at times.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chad156
Did I miss a section on traction control/active handling on vrs traction control/active handling off vrs competitive driving mode.

Just picked up a C5Z and will be doing some HPDE and AX, i would assume that most race prepped cars have this turned off in the computer. Is OFF the best option or is there some value to the competitive driving mode?
Will add something, thank you for the suggestion
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
chad156
Intermediate

Will add something, thank you for the suggestion
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Minor Updates and Edits made
Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I must commend you for such a thorough and accurate job on this thread that you have done. I also must console you that your medical practice must not be flourishing (as mine has been deteriorating) as evidenced by the amount of time you have spent putting this extensive thread together.

For the past 20+ years I have been doing some form of racing/HPDE and in 2004 decided on switching to a C5 (2003 Z06). I do not regret anything about all the track days, modifications, or on track breakages that I've experienced, since all maladies resulted in higher performance upgrades. The only real issue I now face is lack of funds and I'm jonesin' to be out there again. It has been two years since my last track day. After experiencing loss of motor due to timing chain breakage, loss of tranny, clutch explosion, header blowout during my last 7 track days, I no longer have the disposable income to experience another $3000-10000 day. The combination of lower income and higher expenses has put a halt to my track fun. Now for the most depressing part.

Since I no longer use this car as it was intended, despite running, driving, and performing the best it has ever done, I have decided to sell my car. After upgrading virtually everything on my car the right way, there is a very small market for this type of vehicle. Worst of all, despite $35,000 in extra parts on the car, it will ultimately sell for a few thousand dollars more than an unmodified vehicle with similar mileage. Do I regret modding this car to the extent I did? Yes, considering a Porsche GT3 would have cost me the same in the long run and would be worth considerably more now. The GT3 can be left bone stock, and is covered by warranty for 4 years. That's my only regret. But when the track and mod bug hits, you become addicted like a crack ho. It's hard to stop.

Once again, great job with this informative tome-like thread.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 05-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
Comp mode is good for when it is raining, and for when you first start tracking. After a few events I turned mine off, but it helped me to not spin when I was learning. Once you know the car, its a little intrusive at times.
I agree with this statement. Also, having the right tires allows the best modulation of traction so as to maximize your cornering while being able to reign in the car before traction breaks away. Hoosier R6 and Michelin PSC are the best IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I agree with this statement. Also, having the right tires allows the best modulation of traction so as to maximize your cornering while being able to reign in the car before traction breaks away. Hoosier R6 and Michelin PSC are the best IMO.
first and best mod you can make for the $ is to slicks!

I am a kumho V710 fan...just so darn easy to read and feel

But I do have a set of PSC best darn street tires !
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Minor Updates and Edits made
Do you have any opinion on Phadt engine and transmission mounts? TIA!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by victorf
Do you have any opinion on Phadt engine and transmission mounts? TIA!

The Pfadt mounts are much more rigid and there have been a lot of complaints of increased vibration from the use of these mounts.

Probably not a big deal if it's a full time track car, but on the street it could be quite annoying.

Quick Reply: C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned!