Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turkey Trot at CMP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Turkey Trot at CMP

Since I have run with the bulls in Spain it seems only fitting that I trot with the turkeys in SC. One big difference I noticed right off was the alcohol was applied before running with the bulls but did not come out until after trotting with the turkeys. I also really liked the rollcage around me in case the turkeys got too close for comfort - luckily I had a better power to weight ratio when I ran with the bulls.

The weeks leading up to the event were hectic with work in the office (it happens, occasionally), travel for work and work at home to finish the second floor roof (it is now complete to include the old shingles hauled off, BTW). It did not leave much time to unload the Corvette, replace the Mustang windshield (our Road Atlanta offering in August), prep the Mustang, load the Mustang or do any of the other dozens of items needed for a track event. But my trusty crew came through with their "just in time" philosophy and we departed when Josh made it home from school for CMP.

The weather was clear all weekend and downright cold on Saturday morning. It made for great power and not a whole lot of stick.. But track conditions did improve as the weekend progressed and the weather warmed up. The turnout was very strong in most of the run groups and we had 37 Time Trialers taking the grid over the course of the weekend. There was a fair number first time TT competitors added to the roster with many checkrides over the course of the weekend. The best news was TT ran green flag all weekend with just some local yellows for some spectacular spins (Joe Ippolito at the Kink x2 was impressive) and other well controlled offs. Josh, running in a backup car, managed to podium both days in TT and post a better lap time then me even with a "car issue".

We did run in CMC on Saturday while trying to sort out some braking issues. It seems we have developed a real problem with tire lockup under braking. The right front seems to be the main culprit but the left seems to like to do it as well. It was a good thing all my Lemons racing taught me brakes are optional and not really needed to get around the race track. It does make for some less then competitive laps in class though. I had a great race with John Evans though at the back of the back while he waited for my corded tires to give up the ghost and make a great pass. The car made it to the end of the race with no other issues so we are happy the fuel problem is fixed. We pulled the wheels, checked the calipers for free movement, looked at the pads and bled the system and it still does it. Not sure why the brakes are locking up so easily but I do know the 36 heat cycle R888s were corded out. Putting a better set of R888s (~20 heat cycles) on front seemed to help for a little while but then it started back up again. We need to go through the system to see if there is a problem with bias or bad calipers. With the tires and brakes we had left Josh took a few hot sessions in TT on Sunday to finish off the car before we loaded it back up.

Wally, Kim and most importantly Patches came by the track to say hello over the weekend. Khoi set his car on fire at the track and blew a tire on his tow vehicle to add a new dimensions to his track experience. Mike bought ,and brought, his 4th C5 to the track for a shakedown. The car ran great but somehow we are going to have to get Mike to let his feelings out and express how he really feels. He just internalizes too much.

Once again NASA-SE and CMP put on a great event and we are looking forward to Road Atlanta - not sure what car will make it - but we are looking forward to it,
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely written.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
we are going to have to get Mike to let his feelings out and express how he really feels. He just internalizes too much.
I thought you were going to suggest duct tape.
It was a fun weekend. Thanks for taking it easy on this rookie.
Hoping to make RA......
Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Hoping to make RA......
gonna have to dig out the energy drinks leftover from lemons, I see lots of all nighters in my future. some business travel, thanksgiving ahead, not much time for prep. got a clutch and pfadt bushings to put on
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
gonna have to dig out the energy drinks leftover from lemons, I see lots of all nighters in my future. some business travel, thanksgiving ahead, not much time for prep. got a clutch and pfadt bushings to put on
between now and RA I do not even have that many nights at home...

Get notified of new replies

To Turkey Trot at CMP

Quick Reply: Turkey Trot at CMP