Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Days @ Roebling Road (the Good and the Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Days @ Roebling Road (the Good and the Bad)

I'll start with how this Forum is actually a big part of why I do HPDE's in a Vette. I wasn't sure about leaving my wheel trailer in the hotel parking lot, so I asked for suggestions in another thread. Turns out another forum member (Fred Evans) offered to let me park my rig at his house. I took Fred up on that and we hung out the whole 3 days. Turned out on Friday, he was the only other Vette there, so it really helped me out socially since I had never ran with the Seattime group before. Stuff like this happens all the time BTW. People are offering help in one way or another from this forum. I'm was a terrible mechanic, but thanks to well documented DIY's from other guys who have done the same thing, I can make many repairs and improvements myself.

Another Ex Vette owner, Khoi hung out with Fred and I Fri and Sat too. Thanks to Jeff (Varkswo) vouching for me over the phone, I got to fly Solo on Friday with the Seattime group. I assure them I'll take it easy, even though Jeff warned them I would go crazy. So I'm out there first session by myself getting the line back and starting to feel good, then I lose it in turn 5 and go off track. Soo embarrassed, wasn't even going that fast. Lesson learned, wait for those R compounds and dew on the track to heat up a bit. I didn't go off again for the rest of the 3 days.

I treated my second session kind of like more warmup as I was gun shy about going off again. Did not want to ruin my solo status with this group. Car started gripping just great. I was about 75 degrees and sunny Friday and Sat.

Now there weren't nearly as many cars out with this Seattime group as other events had and this led to a special time in my third session. I got to run about 6 laps with nobody in sight either direction. It was so sweet. Like the track was my own and I really got into a great groove. No instructor, no other cars. Just me hitting each turn a little harder every lap, and the car was just perfect. After watching my in car video later, those laps were consistent 1:24's.

Next session Khoi decided to ruin my solotude and jumped out in my group with his Evo. We did a few laps right on each other. Ya, he let me pass on the straight, but I had to mist up a bit to hang with him through the turns. He is a way better driver than me, good thing he was in a 4 banger. So I went from one session thinking that solitude was the coolest thing ever, to pushing harder than I would have by myself and going even faster. Faster is a cool think too! My cam didn't record on that session for some reason, I'll guess 1:23 or 1:22's maybe.

My last session I started noticing a bit of a pulse in turn 9 leading into the straight and let off quite a few times as it just didn't seem right.

Saturday morning I go to get gas and hear thump thump thump coming from my front left. Sure enough, cracked that rotor clean through. That explains that pulse from yesterday. So now I get to do my first rotor change at the track. Missed my first session, but was ready by the second one. Bedding in that rotor/pad wasn't quite right for that whole session. Coming off the straight into turn 1 brake zone felt like the brakes where just almost hopping for a while. So I pit into the paddock and roll into my spot and hear this "DINK", the back left just cracked. Rotor number two at the track for me . Didn't carry extra rears with me so had to go find one. Good thing it was lunch time. Find one and get into it, then find my left rear pads were metal to metal. No wonder it cracked. The right one still had lots left, I'm not sure why the pads would wear more on one side, but they did. I went around begging from other Vette guys and sure enough, somebody kicked in a set of half used carbotech's. Whew. I went ahead and did both sides. So now I've done both left rotors and the rear brakes at the track in between sessions. Another incredible experience when I really consider myself somewhat mechanically challenged.

I got it all done by my first session after lunch. 3 sessions left to go. About half way through the first session my car was working great again. Was able to come down from 145mph at 3rd brake cone and make turn 1.

Now my troubles are behind me and I can drive again. The next two session were great. I was hitting 1:23's pretty consistently when not stuck in traffic. Even when I was stuck, I got to pass on the inside and outside of turns which was great practice for me as I'm just moving up from the novice group. Seattime only passed in certain areas and not in turns. With Chin on Sat, if they gave me a point, I went for it. Ya that offline stuff makes your heart beat raise a few. I mean you practice maybe 250 laps in novice hitting the perfect line, then you go offline with another car right by you in the solo group. Good thing everybody is cooperating and we are not really racing. I got do rabbit a bit with Fred in his C6 too. Turns out he has a bit more power and experience, but we still hang for quite a while, and had some fun until traffic messes things up.

I made a little vid of 3 of my hot laps here. (still not sure how to post a inline video into this forum)
http://vimeo.com/7767320

Sunday was raining so the first letup in the rain, I put my streets back on. After having to swap tires at Road Atlanta in a torrential downpour, I just wasn't feeling like taking the chance. I've been really wanting to go solo and my instructor Rick (Hazman) got me a sign off ride in the rain at Roebling! Seems kind of strange to me as the rain is so different. Everybody told me to just be smooth. Well, in the rain, that's the only thing I'm thinking about anyway. Just be smooth. So I'm Blue at Roebling now.

Thanks for Fred, Khoi, (Rick & Jaine McNutt) for making it a great time.

If you have not tried Roebling Road, it's a very fun and fast track. Give it a try, it's quite different from Road Atlanta or Barber.

Ken . . .

Last edited by kwhiteside; 11-23-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Find one and get into it, then find my left rear pads were metal to metal. No wonder it cracked. The right one still had lots left, I'm not sure why the pads would wear more on one side, but they did.
Active Handling on? (Comp mode or full?) Otherwise I'd make sure the right caliper still moves freely...
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sure wish I could have made it. Jon puts on a great event.
Pull your calipers and check the slide pins etc.. Sounds like you have a grabber.

BTW - no way you'll ever convice me that Evocool gave the point to someone.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Active Handling on? (Comp mode or full?) Otherwise I'd make sure the right caliper still moves freely...
That makes a lot of sense. I did run my last two events with AH off, but ran Road Atlanta in comp mode. That may explain it.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
Sure wish I could have made it. Jon puts on a great event.
Pull your calipers and check the slide pins etc.. Sounds like you have a grabber.

BTW - no way you'll ever convice me that Evocool gave the point to someone.

That's funny, because there were a whole lot of my car is falling apart excuses after that run. But honestly, even in the straight it wasn't easy. Had to leave 9 at 110mph to get his arm to come out, and then he was right back on me by 4.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I'm surprised you had problems cracking rotors. I thought Roebling was supposed to be easy on brakes.

Khoi is a really cool guy. I had a blast running with him at CMP earlier this month. I'm afraid once he gets that new ride sorted out that I won't be able to keep up anymore and I'll have to pick on someone else.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised you had problems cracking rotors. I thought Roebling was supposed to be easy on brakes.

Khoi is a really cool guy. I had a blast running with him at CMP earlier this month. I'm afraid once he gets that new ride sorted out that I won't be able to keep up anymore and I'll have to pick on someone else.
The front was spidered for sure from Barber, I think RRR just finished it off. The rear had to be from the pad going to metal. I checked the Right rear because of where I park in the garage makes that one easy to see. I assumed the left would be the same. Live and learn.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Ken, had a great time myself. All I gotta say is SPARES, SPARES, SPARES... I brought everything that I thought I could swap out at the track (within reason). Even started bringing hubs for a while. You got some good mechanical experience as well as track experience this weekend. I remember being under my car at Barber in 105 degree heat cussing and ranting because I was under it more than on track that weekend....

It was fun running with you but all I could think of in my head was how much your wife would be pissed at me if I "pushed" you off track... BTW, Franny was a pleasure to talk to and great to come to the track with you. I have a feeling she wants to get a car of her own and get out there herself....

Good times man. Some day, I'd like to get into the teens at Roebling. My best was a 1.20 flat in the Z06.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Some day, I'd like to get into the teens at Roebling. My best was a 1.20 flat in the Z06.
let jason drive it
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
let jason drive it
Right now while I'm working on my timing issue, if anyone is going to blow up my engine, it's gonna be me...
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Right now while I'm working on my timing issue, if anyone is going to blow up my engine, it's gonna be me...
remind me to qualy in FRONT of you at RA...
Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

remind me to qualy in FRONT of you at RA...
Don't worry, I'm just going to putt around in DE4 at RA. Don't want to be a contributor to any lost TT sessions. I know a lot of folks will be bringing their "A" game in their "A6s", so RA is just a test and tune for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I know a lot of folks will be bringing their "A" game in their "A6s"
sounds like it will be our last to
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm planning on running the **** out of them Sunday. It'll be like that Cake song: The race will be over, the lights turned off, gate locked and I'll still be making laps.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

It should be interesting next year to see how the lack of the tire contingency evens out the field (if any). And what it will do to the TT car count.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

What's that path to be able to do Time Trials with NASA?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It should be interesting next year to see how the lack of the tire contingency evens out the field (if any). And what it will do to the TT car count.
I meant more the A6. sounds like the 2010 rules are gonna hit the A6 hard w/ points

that TTB/FRC built to a TTA car is sounding more and more like the thing to do...

Get notified of new replies

To 3 Days @ Roebling Road (the Good and the Bad)

Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
I'm planning on running the **** out of them Sunday.
On the 325is?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I meant more the A6. sounds like the 2010 rules are gonna hit the A6 hard w/ points

that TTB/FRC built to a TTA car is sounding more and more like the thing to do...
Hmm. Didn't know about the points hit for the A6's. You should definately do Nationals this year.

TTB/FRC built to a competitive TTA car = mucho dinero. Like the old saying goes....Speed is money - how fast do you want to go?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You should definately do Nationals this year.
hope to

just picked up a 30' RV that should do the (family/car to utah) trick

TTB/FRC built to a competitive TTA car = mucho dinero.
yeah but when you can get 'em (and start with) for what you paid for yours

Quick Reply: 3 Days @ Roebling Road (the Good and the Bad)