Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIA Seats and Seat back braces

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, so who has a Recaro Pro Racer SPG HANS (XL) or Racetech RT-4009WHR and how do you like it? Anything you dislike?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have, but I've sat in a few racetechs and they are awesome seats. one advantage to them is that they do not have layback like most all aluminum seats. Far more support for the legs. Kirkey would not make me a custom road race deluxe with zero layback, and after having it for some time it would be way more comfortable on the street with less layback. Does require mounting closer to the wheel. In a race car that shouldn't be a problem as you should be mounting the seat way back and put the controls where you need them.
Another option on back braces is to have a very large, flat pad right up to the back of the seat and maybe even slightly wrapping around. No need for any attachment to the seat. Of course it won't prevent the seat from moving forward, but it will keep it pretty solid. I once raced a vintage mustang that had a sparco seat and such a setup simply because the seat was on sliders and they needed everything to be quickly adjustable. Worked very well.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Okay, so who has a Recaro Pro Racer SPG HANS (XL) or Racetech RT-4009WHR and how do you like it? Anything you dislike?
I looked at racetech before I went with my metal custom seat.
The racetech has specific reinforcements and mounting for the BB so it gets the vote because I do not think the recaro has that. Also the racetech is tested at 40g's which is higher than the FIA requirement. The recaro is an FIA seat. If you sit in the racetech seat you can feel it's solidness. It is not springy like an FIA seat.

Quick Reply: FIA Seats and Seat back braces