Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this C6Z caliper bolt upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Opinions on this C6Z caliper bolt upgrade....

In gathering parts for my '09Z in preparation for track days this season I came across these replacement caliper pin bolt replacements and thought well of them if the OEM units could give me problems given the many times I will be swapping out the street pads with track pads and visa versa. Does anyone out there have real time experience with this product? Opinions?
http://www.racingbrake.com/Z06_Brake...t_p/z06-53.htm
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Save your money, do not buy anything from RB. If you are doing pad replacement it's much easier to just take out the 2 21MM bolts and take the calipers off and never mess with the pins. If you have a impact you can do all 4 wheels in about 30 minutes. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. The pins are a major pain no matter what brand. JD
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your response Jim! I see your point. I do know the same holds true for the C5, C6 nonZ06 cars in that it's better to just take the bracket and all. I have no real experience with my C6Z as it's only been here since October. This time NEXT year I'll have broken all kinds of stuff, and will be more versed in it's maintenance.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The picture is kind of funny, "soaked with WD40".. well there's part of the problem right there. They should try some AeroKroil.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Save your money, do not buy anything from RB. If you are doing pad replacement it's much easier to just take out the 2 21MM bolts and take the calipers off and never mess with the pins. If you have a impact you can do all 4 wheels in about 30 minutes. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. The pins are a major pain no matter what brand. JD
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Jim has BAD HISTORY with RB, so bear that in mind. However, as much as I wish there was a solution, unfortunately I think pretty much anything is going to seize in those calipers. As many times as I've done it, I still find removing calipers a total PITA!

I love calipers that have simple bridges that you remove for pad swaps (Stoptech, etc), or swing away style (most OEM's, including base Corvettes). Even my PFC kit require caliper removal, which I really despise!

and btw, while 30minutes isn't long, in a Bridge/swing-away setup, you can swap pads in 10 minutes!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Jim has BAD HISTORY with RB, so bear that in mind. However, as much as I wish there was a solution, unfortunately I think pretty much anything is going to seize in those calipers. As many times as I've done it, I still find removing calipers a total PITA!

I love calipers that have simple bridges that you remove for pad swaps (Stoptech, etc), or swing away style (most OEM's, including base Corvettes). Even my PFC kit require caliper removal, which I really despise!

and btw, while 30minutes isn't long, in a Bridge/swing-away setup, you can swap pads in 10 minutes!

most of my pins are either seized or stripped in the caliper, removing the caliper is PITA and messing with 12 paddlets is a sick joke from the engineers at PBR.

If you going to change pads out frequently, you need to go with aftermarket. I use to have some Wilwoods on my C5 and it took more time to jack the car and remove the wheel than change pads.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95jersey

most of my pins are either seized or stripped in the caliper, removing the caliper is PITA and messing with 12 paddlets is a sick joke from the engineers at PBR.

If you going to change pads out frequently, you need to go with aftermarket. I use to have some Wilwoods on my C5 and it took more time to jack the car and remove the wheel than change pads.
I agree 100% on this one! I'm all about using a one piece pad rather than the General's 12 padlet configuration. I haven't really taken the time to R&R a caliper as of yet, but I will as soon as this snow is gone and I can get out in the garage some. I've just been gathering parts needed for this seasons HPDEs with the Z, and saw these caliper pins advertised and wanted some opinions. It looks to me that a set of calipers are on the list. Thanks folks for your responses.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ol'55
I agree 100% on this one! I'm all about using a one piece pad rather than the General's 12 padlet configuration. I haven't really taken the time to R&R a caliper as of yet, but I will as soon as this snow is gone and I can get out in the garage some. I've just been gathering parts needed for this seasons HPDEs with the Z, and saw these caliper pins advertised and wanted some opinions. It looks to me that a set of calipers are on the list. Thanks folks for your responses.
Just for reference, changing pads on the AP Racing system takes 1-2 minutes per corner once the wheel is off. Having a large pair of pliers to remove hot pads and a piston spreader tool (like the one from GiroDisc) makes it a very quick job.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the RB pad pin bolts. They probably just as good as OEM pad pin bolts but I went back to the OEM pad pin bolts just because I didn't trust less than half the number of threads holding it in place. I never had a problem with them, I just worried about the few threads it had.

As far as changing pads and I've done that on my C6 Z06 about two dozen times or so. I've changed the pads both ways, pulling the pad pin bolts and pulling the caliper off and there is advantages and disadvantages both ways. The first time I pulled the pins I put some high temp anti-seize on the threads and have had very little problem pulling the pins. It also helps to pull the pins when the caliper is warm. Pulling the caliper with the car on a jack or jack stands is harder to do when it comes to torque the caliper bolts with not much room under the car. Pulling the caliper bolts is very easy with car on a lift with plenty of room. I personally prefer to pull the pad pin bolts over removing the caliper to change pads. Having said that the last time I changed pads, I used the single backing plate pads and the only way to change those is pull the caliper.

I guess how you change your pads is a personel preference thing, do it the way that suits you. Try it both ways and see which way is best for you.

Last edited by USA1C5; 12-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I have used the RB pad pin bolts. They probably just as good as OEM pad pin bolts but I went back to the OEM pad pin bolts just because I didn't trust less than half the number of threads holding it in place. I never had a problem with them, I just worried about the few threads it had.

As far as changing pads and I've done that on my C6 Z06 about two dozen times or so. I've changed the pads both ways, pulling the pad pin bolts and pulling the caliper off and there is advantages and disadvantages both ways. The first time I pulled the pins I put some high temp anti-seize on the threads and have had very little problem pulling the pins. It also helps to pull the pins when the caliper is warm. Pulling the caliper with the car on a jack or jack stands is harder to do when it comes to torque the caliper bolts with not much room under the car. Pulling the caliper bolts is very easy with car on a lift with plenty of room. I personally prefer to pull the pad pin bolts over removing the caliper to change pads. Having said that the last time I changed pads, I used the single backing plate pads and the only way to change those is pull the caliper.

I guess how you change your pads is a personel preference thing, do it the way that suits you. Try it both ways and see which way is best for you.
Good post Howard! Thanks for your response. Very good information in here (I Love this place!)

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on this C6Z caliper bolt upgrade....

Quick Reply: Opinions on this C6Z caliper bolt upgrade....