Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do coilovers require stiffer sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Autobahn93
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do coilovers require stiffer sway bars?

I am running about 6-8 HPDEs/year in my stock C06Z06 and drive to and from the track. I only change brake fluid and pads before the event. I am interested in a set up which hopefully works without the need of adjustment..simply because I know I would not get it right.

In order to get a better suspension for the track I am also considering buying a set of coilovers (most likely the non adjustable ones from Bilstein). Somewhere I have read that if I change to coil overs I would loose the leaf springs, which supposingly add stiffness to the car. First of all I would like to know whether that is true and if yes would I need stiffer sway bars to re-gain balance of my hopefully up-graded suspension.

I appreciate any input and wish you guys happy holidays and a healthy and happy New Year.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both DRM and LGM offer non-adjustable Bilstein coilover packages. I ran the DRM coilovers with my stock C6 Z51 swaybars (same front bar you have, softer rear) all last year. I had a set of Pfadt Original Comp bars in my garage that I just installed (again) about two weeks ago. The added roll stiffness is nice from my POV, but I've yet to discover if it actually helps me turn any faster laps. Given the coilovers all end up bumping the spring rate pretty significantly I can't see how they would "require" a swaybar upgrade...

I find my DRM Bilstein coilovers work really well; I can drive to work every day in the car, and they feel great on the track, too.

Last edited by gkmccready; 12-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Glen said above. The coilover setups have stiffer springs and different valving to over come the little you lost in the leaf spring swaybar theory. We have many happy customers running just our coilovers and no upgraded bars. Your Z has a pretty good sized swaybar right off the showroom floor. I run a T-1 front bar and C6Z rear bar and found it to be very nice

Randy
Old 12-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

No.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Autobahn93
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys for the useful information!

Get notified of new replies

To Do coilovers require stiffer sway bars?

Quick Reply: Do coilovers require stiffer sway bars?