Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point harness question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
plaster
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 point harness question

Want to install new seats (Corbeau TRS) and harnesses for 3 or 4 DE's a year. Car will remain a Sunday driver. I understand 4 pointers aren't very wise, but 5 pointers I have been in just really are not comfortable. However, I notice very few seats that have 2 holes for the 6 pointers. So, besides both sub straps through the single hole (less than ideal, but effective) is there a problem with the under the thigh method where the subs are mounted to the same lap points?

Sorry, forgot to ask about the Schroth ASM 4 and what others think about it-
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...m/profi-II-asm

Last edited by plaster; 12-23-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Wren
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

You might want to talk to the harness maker about running the sub straps through the middle of the seat. Were they meant to work like that?

BTW- you are right that 6 point harnesses are so much more comfortable.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

teamtech jet pilot is the harness to have. Six straps. The four lower straps go to two mounts just like regular lap belts through the side of the seat. No need for additional holes.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

What you are asking is the difference between 6pt traditional mounting vs. 6pt parachute or climber version. Both methods work fine for anti sub effects. In a dual use car the 6pt is easier to do than the 5pt. The traditional mounting 5-6pt gives you rollover stability. That is why there is a 7pt harness which is a 6pt to give the best lap belt control aka anti-sub effect and a 5th point aka 7pt (three sub belts) for best rollover control. Everything is a compromise even 5 vs 6pts and that's why there is a 7pt concoction. There is even a mixture of this with 2 additional shoulder straps specifically for a HANS device. I think it was David Coultard the F1 driver and Schroth who developed that.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 point harness question

Quick Reply: 6 point harness question