Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for modest C4 RR oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default Looking for modest C4 RR oil pan

More for street-driving than anything though. (It's for my new 383 with a 10552 10% HV Melling SD oil pump.)

As seen in the pics below, there are (IMO) knock-off Canton/Champ/Kevko pans on fleabay. They are referred to as SBC Champ-style pans. Certainly, the price is more reasonable and they look pretty darn close to (the recently bashed) Cantons. Dimesions are nearly identical too. Canton's are 12"x13.75"x7" sumps. These are 12"x14"x7". (I inset a Canton pic for comparison).

Even if these have more baffles/control for circle-track, the seller and others have said it won't really hurt me to use this type of pan for a street car. Mostly, I just want to increase capacity on my impending 383.

The obvious thing to me is making sure of return policy and to make sure this pan doesn't leak. I'd also need to decide between drilling for a dipstick or buying a Canton stick.

I also wonder if it would be easy to alter baffles/tray for "standard" use. IOW, should/could I cut internals to make it more symmetrical.

Also, is the zinc finish better (than raw steel or black?)? If so, why?

What about the pickup? Would I use the pickup included, the one I got with my Melling SD 10552, or something else?

And, I'd need to determine clearance issues with my unique headers.

Other thoughts, considerations, feedback, opinions?

Description: "You are bidding on a new small block Chevy Champ style oil pan. Black painted plated finish. Fits 1986+ Chevy V8s with I piece rear main. Dipstick on passenger side, 8 qt. capacity with filter. Pickup tube for high volume pump also included.

7" deep, 6 trap doors, 2 runners, and 3 crank scrapers. Sump is 14" wide (has dual kickouts) and 12" long. The stock starter will fit. Pan provides for volume and oil control that is found in similar $250 pans for a fraction of the price."

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Gregg,

I use a Canton pan but I won't recommend it. The fit and weld quality is poor. I didn't have any issues with my stock pan but I followed the herd and thought it was a "must have". Save your money.

I'll suggest that you keep your stock pan but add a 2 quart accusump. You get the benefits of pre-oiling your new engine and the additional capacity you're looking for.

What intake did you decide on? Shoot me a PM if you still have the HSR and want to sell it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Canton back in 99. I had ZERO quality issues & it is still on my car today. It is a Corvette specific part that I would recommend for autocross/roadrace etc. If you are just wanting extra oil then I agree with the recommendation for an Accusump.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for modest C4 RR oil pan

Quick Reply: Looking for modest C4 RR oil pan