Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** DefNder neck braces are in stock and ready for pickup or delivery! **

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Default ** DefNder neck braces are in stock and ready for pickup or delivery! **

We received our first shipment of DefNder neck braces today, for our customers who had them on order, you can stop by and pick them up, or just let us know and we can ship them out for you if that's easier.

For those not aware, DefNder is the manufacturer of a very high quality SFI approved neck brace, that I personally feel is the most comfortable one made, with the most range of movement.

ECS will be stocking these for our drag & road racing customers to be able to try on and get a feel for it before purchasing. With a reasonable price of $549, we felt they were a fantastic way to bring a little more safety to a not so safe sport. ECS will continue to offer free shipping on this product within the continental US, and can ship today!

Anyone who wishes to take a look at them, we are always here during normal business hours, or you can take a look at the link below. They are a one size fits most unit, with the exception of very large, or very small individuals.

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/

Thanks in advance, Doug

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

As a HANS owner for years I am not about to trade in my HANS for the defnder since it satisfies my needs, but if I was in the market today for a new head and neck restraint the defnder would be on my short list.

Chris@ECS and myself both have owned HANS for sometime. It was the only good choice IMHO on the market when we bought them. Doug@ECS knew he needed something, but disliked the fact there was limited movement so opted not to buy one. Then the HANS came out with the sliders and Doug thought this would be a good idea, but didnt like the fact that he needed 2 different units 1 for his RR car and 1 for the 1/4 car.

He searched around and he found the Defnder which he could use in both cars, has SFI 38.1 certification just like HANS, has left to right movement, is well made and costs less than the HANS. Hard not to put it on the short list.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one at my last track event. Finally something that doesn't fee like a torture device on my collar bone. It's easy to put on and off after your in the car too. No having to get in and buckle up with your helmet on.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Rosspbig
Racer

How many of you use a HANS or similar type device for HPDEs? I am on the fence about buying one and looking for some guidance.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Rosspbig
How many of you use a HANS or similar type device for HPDEs? I am on the fence about buying one and looking for some guidance.
From what I see there is limited use during HPDEs. My thoughts of why are

1. stock seats without a harness in many of the cars so HANS will not work.

2. people think HPDE is not racing (which it is not but the speeds are the same if not faster) and thus no need

3. Many people only do a couple of HPDEs so they don't see the need for it

4. I think people would rather spend the money on go fast mods over head and neck restraint (or any safety device)

In the end you have to make the decision if you think it is a worthwhile investment. Some people will say yes while others have their reasons to say no.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 01-13-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would like any other info anyone has this, as I am looking at the HANS, R3 or this one. Like the R3 because can go to a car with no harnesses but this one does look intersting.

So if I understand it, you can put the defendr on under your belts and then can put your helment on while your sitting on the grid
Thanks and I do just HPDE's but I think it's time for something like this because you never know when the unexpected can happen. Seen it too many times.
Tim
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

With more research I found supporting data which shows direct hits the HANS and defnder are close with HANS winning out but on side impacts the defnder beats the HANS by a large margin. The reason for this according to the data is the HANS allows for the belts to slip off during side impacts.

Tim from what I have read you can do as you are saying but I have not been in my car with the defnder as of yet so I have no personal knowledge. I should put that on the agenda so I can give more of a feedback.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by Gatorac
I bought one at my last track event. Finally something that doesn't fee like a torture device on my collar bone. It's easy to put on and off after your in the car too. No having to get in and buckle up with your helmet on.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
I would like any other info anyone has this, as I am looking at the HANS, R3 or this one. Like the R3 because can go to a car with no harnesses but this one does look intersting.

So if I understand it, you can put the defendr on under your belts and then can put your helment on while your sitting on the grid
Thanks and I do just HPDE's but I think it's time for something like this because you never know when the unexpected can happen. Seen it too many times.
Tim
Gatorac already answered your question really, but yes, you can get in the car with your helmet off, put your belts on with your helmet off until your ready. Many off these track days are in the dead of summer, and being able to keep the helmet off until your ready to drive is a huge benefit.

There are quick disconnects on the helmet attachments that are very easy to take on and off. Give me a little bit and I'll take some up close pictures of what it looks like, and what comes with it. It comes in a nice foam lined case as well to keep it in good shape when not in use. I was initially surprised at the quality of the case too.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
From what I see there is limited use during HPDEs. My thoughts of why are

1. stock seats without a harness in many of the cars so HANS will not work.
And with a 3-point belt, the airbag should save your neck in a frontal hit.

Question: I have halo seats, so I assume that I'm OK for sideways collisions and only need protection for frontal collisions. How does this affect things? Are there simpler/cheaper/more comfortable devices one can use with a halo seat?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

There are quick disconnects on the helmet attachments that are very easy to take on and off. Give me a little bit and I'll take some up close pictures of what it looks like, and what comes with it. It comes in a nice foam lined case as well to keep it in good shape when not in use. I was initially surprised at the quality of the case too.
Some pics from different angles would really be helpful. Sounds like this is a pretty good unit.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Both my brother and I wear a HANS for HPDEs. In both cases, the cars also got upgraded to one-piece race seats, six-point harnesses and roll-bars and now, both cars are getting full cages.

For the same reason Wicked Weasel stated, I'm serious about this sport and you do carry some serious speed at HPDEs and anything can happen on track. The money for safety done right is a drop in the bucket versus an accident/lifeflight ride/injury.

Don't think I'll ever get into racing regularly but HPDE's for sure. Its a worthy investment in improving the odds of walking' away from an accident regardless of which neck protection device you go with.

When I bought my HANS, there weren't a lot of other options out there like the defender. I'm perfectly happy with the HANS.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Less than ten bucks per day!

Chances are you will never need anything for your neck. We all know that right? Only a few crashes her and there. If you do get the winning ticket to a crash it won't be like winning Lotto. You will finally get to see how heavy your head can be. We all know how many get whiplash in accidents even at 20 mph right? Look at the results of a good shot of whiplash . The slowest person I ever see at an event is still doing over 100 mph on any course!

Hitting something is just forward or sideways whiplash. So what ever you chose to buy it is not like tires, pads and fuel that just disappear. You will have something to sell after using it. Buy X brand neck saver at say 600 and I bet you can sell it for 350 in three years or even more. So now your looking at 250 for three years which is just under 84 bucks per year, Not much when figured even into a tightest track budget. Three events per year for three years and it's costing you less than ten bucks a day actually $9.26 at the tracK. Then you see the cost of not gambling with your central nervous system functioning properly. Hope I knocked you off the fence because we are not like Humpy Dumpy easily put back together again!

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Rosspbig
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Chances are you will never need anything for your neck. We all know that right? Only a few crashes her and there. If you do get the winning ticket to a crash it won't be like winning Lotto. You will finally get to see how heavy your head can be. We all know how many get whiplash in accidents even at 20 mph right? Look at the results of a good shot of whiplash . The slowest person I ever see at an event is still doing over 100 mph on any course!

Hitting something is just forward or sideways whiplash. So what ever you chose to buy it is not like tires, pads and fuel that just disappear. You will have something to sell after using it. Buy X brand neck saver at say 600 and I bet you can sell it for 350 in three years or even more. So now your looking at 250 for three years which is just under 84 bucks per year, Not much when figured even into a tightest track budget. Three events per year for three years and it's costing you less than ten bucks a day actually $9.26 at the tracK. Then you see the cost of not gambling with your central nervous system functioning properly. Hope I knocked you off the fence because we are not like Humpy Dumpy easily put back together again!
Good points. Is a HANs type device safe for a car with a race bucket, and 6 point harness/harness bar, but no roll bar??
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points. Is a HANs type device safe for a car with a race bucket, and 6 point harness/harness bar, but no roll bar??
I guess it depends who you ask it has been ripped up here many times. My personal opinion is yes I would rather have a neck support even with just a harness bar as smack ups are way more common than a roll over. Some may tend to say it would be bad in a roll over. I have a 4 point bar & HANS but really need a cage. Hit a wall or car at even 60 MPH and be strapped in tight with a 6 point with your head wagging like a dogs tail free not for me!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Rosspbig
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I guess it depends who you ask it has been ripped up here many times. My personal opinion is yes I would rather have a neck support even with just a harness bar as smack ups are way more common than a roll over. Some may tend to say it would be bad in a roll over. I have a 4 point bar & HANS but really need a cage. Hit a wall or car at even 60 MPH and be strapped in tight with a 6 point with your head wagging like a dogs tail free not for me!
I think I am leaning towards getting one. The safer the better in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=flink;1572740680]And with a 3-point belt, the airbag should save your neck in a frontal hit...QUOTE]

Yeah, at least for the initial impact
Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
DOUG @ ECS

We'll get some up close pic's posted for you guys today, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To ** DefNder neck braces are in stock and ready for pickup or delivery! **

Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

A few pics... and a couple of vids i found on You tube...

We'll have more pics when we set Dougs up.

Range of Motion

Quick release

egress

Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay..Y'all talked me into it. I just spoke to Chris and ordered one.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Above video r very informative.
How long will you offer the free shipping.

Quick Reply: ** DefNder neck braces are in stock and ready for pickup or delivery! **