Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Shops capable of adjusting my bump-steer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Looking for Shops capable of adjusting my bump-steer

Interested in getting my suspension geometry tuned. It's a 2k lowered about an inch. Has always had some bump steer and after I dropped it it got worse. New Bilsteins always used to fix it but only for the first 2-4k miles or so. I'd like to eliminate it for good. Been thinking of using the Baer front and rear bump steer kits if needed. They seem cost effective is all...

Can anyone recommend a shop in or near Orange County, CA that has a bump steer gauge, mirror/laser or just knows how to do it?

Even shops out of my area too, I may be willing to travel for a knowledgeable person.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any shop that does race car set up and alignment can do it. I'm in the Bay Area and I go to Krause Racing, but that's probably too far for you. It shouldn't be too hard to find a shop in Southern CA.

Dog
Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't help you with a shop suggestion, but having done lots of chassis setups on my own race cars and others i can tell you bumpsteer correction is labor intensive. If you are still using leaf springs it will add to that because they need to be removed to do the work properly.
To do any adjustments I would suggest you prepare ahead of time with the parts needed. You can use one of the commonely available kits which include spindle adapters and shims or you can build your own. An alternative to the spindle adapters (the way I've always done it) is to drill out the hole in the steering arm on the the spindle to 5/8" and use a bolt. Using a long bolt and cutting the excess threads off is a good idea to minimize having threads in shear.
Keep in mind that changing the caster will chage the bumpsteer and if you are looking for zero bump steer it really needs to be done every time caster is changed.
All that being said, I have yet to bump steer my c5 and find it to be quite acceptable from the factory. The rear would be the first end of the car I would want to work on.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

After reading a few guides on the process, I figure I'll get the car aligned first. Planning on keeping it at stock 2004 C5 Z06 settings unless someone convinces me otherwise. Then bump-steer as close to zero as possible.

Looks like yes, the springs have to be disconnected first, I have the stock Z51 leaf springs.

The Baer bump steer kits look like they'll do the job, they have spherical bearings and spacers to move the rod ends up and down.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Baer pieces are what I have. On the alignment rack (with the body lift jacks) it's easy to raise and lower the car to check the angles and make the adjustments by changing the shims. Having the rack is the key to being able to do the job quickly and correctly. Oh, you probably need to know what you're doing too. Which is why I pay to have it done for me.

Dog
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish you were closer. We have a ninja way of bump steering a car.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Shops capable of adjusting my bump-steer

Quick Reply: Looking for Shops capable of adjusting my bump-steer