Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell...THAT'S your problem...real lacrosse sticks are made of wood.
LOL...You're dating yourself! How old are those Don? My very first stick in 8th grade had a wooden shaft (Crooked Arrow brand). When a defenseman cranked you across the arm with a 6 foot wooden shaft, it hurt like nobody's business!

I've got an old (NIB) set of Polymaxtrix "A" pads still on the shelf, I understood these WERE a Raybestos compound? "Raybestos" is etched on the backing plate.
Yes, correct...my bad...sorry for the confusion. I was probably thinking Wilwood in my head at the time. It's all the same stuff manufactured by Raybestos.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jritt
Hi Finally, I'm in the process of putting together a sponsorship/contingency program for these pads to support amateur racers...have to support all of my old corvetteforum peeps!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
24hr Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interesting..

I used their race pad which was made of the sintered metal compounds on my motorcycle when I tracked it and the pads were absolutely amazing... The pads didnt have a lot of hard bite, they had very linear bite & feedback.. I remember using other pads on the bike that had tons of initial bite which upset the suspension... never had any issues with them operating on the first hard lap or at the end of a 20mins session filled and i was pretty hard on my brakes... once my stock pads are done ill definitely be looking to use a set of their pads on my car..
Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

How does the performance of the RC6E compare to Hawk DTC-60?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
J Ritt
Racer

I used their race pad which was made of the sintered metal compounds on my motorcycle when I tracked it and the pads were absolutely amazing... The pads didnt have a lot of hard bite, they had very linear bite & feedback.. I remember using other pads on the bike that had tons of initial bite which upset the suspension... never had any issues with them operating on the first hard lap or at the end of a 20mins session filled and i was pretty hard on my brakes... once my stock pads are done ill definitely be looking to use a set of their pads on my car..
Good to hear! They have definitely secured a strong spot in the bike market, and I think you'll find a similar experience with their automotive pads. The overall bite is high, but it is progressive and you can modulate it. Just let us know when the time comes and we'll get you sorted on the right compound for your car.

How does the performance of the RC6E compare to Hawk DTC-60?
The RC6E's have higher mu both hot and cold, less compressibility, higher heat capacity, and will last much, much longer. Brake dust will also probably be less if that matters to you.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Guys,
We (Essex Parts Services) just renewed our sponsorship on this site, so I can now post pricing on these pads.

Also, the supplier is really excited that the line is taking off and doing so well, so we were able to do a bit of renegotiating for lower pricing on larger volume. We'll be updating our site over the next few days with all of the new pricing...but here it is:

Base C5/C6 Front (Part# 4092)
RC8:$292.80
RC6:$266.18
RC6E:$336.73
RC5+:247.56

Base C5/C6 Rear (Part# 4091)
RC8: $284.93
RC6: $259.02
RC6E: $327.67
RC5+: $240.89

C6 Z06 Front (part# 4147F)

RC8: $472.27
RC6: $429.33
RC6E: $543.11
RC5+: $399.29

C6 Z06 Rear (part# 4147R)

RC8: $314.84
RC6: $286.22
RC6E: $363.07
RC5+: $266.18

If you need a new set of track pads, I strongly encourage you to give these CL's a try. We literally haven't had a single negative report on these pads from a customer yet, which is fairly amazing.

Some of the more frequent comments I've been getting lately are related to pedal feel and compressibility. My customers are telling me that these pads have a lot less compressibility than the other pads they've tried, which makes them easier to modulate with less pedal effort. Those comments are in line with my own impressions as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Jeff - received the full set of RC6 in the mail yesterday. Thank you. I'll be trying them out in a couple weeks.

The bedding procedure printed on the boxes says:

"No specific process necessary. With new discs: progressively warming up the brake system. With bedded discs: a couple of middle brakings"

Sounds pretty easy - any further advice?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Jeff - received the full set of RC6 in the mail yesterday. Thank you. I'll be trying them out in a couple weeks.
Excellent!

"No specific process necessary. With new discs: progressively warming up the brake system. With bedded discs: a couple of middle brakings"

Sounds pretty easy - any further advice?
These pads don't have a very heavy transfer layer and they're extremely easy to bed. That is definitely one of their strong points. If you drive your car on the street, it wouldn't hurt to install these pads a few days before your event and drive them around on the street (which is really true of any race pad). The cold friction should scrape your old pad material off of the discs in short order. This only becomes a problem with other race pads because of their lack of cold bite (they can be a bit scary)...not a problem with the CL's because of their high cold bite.

If your car is a dedicated track car, no worries. Just do a few easy braking events as the box says before really laying into them.

I have yet to have a single customer have any judder or vibration issues with these pads. They tend to play very well with others!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Ordered a set of RC6E's. Looking forward to try them out at Autobahn w/ 10/10ths on June 19th & 20th.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have these for the Wilwood SL6 full-width calipers in LG's GSTop kit?

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1882

-TJ
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Thanks for the order Webz!

Do you have these for the Wilwood SL6 full-width calipers in LG's GSTop kit?

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1882

-TJ
TJ, I'm 99% sure we have these on the shelf in various compounds for the WW Superlite (including the 20.5mm thick version). I'm out of the office for a few days, but I'm going to check with one of my sales guys in the morning and I'll post what I find. They should be on our website, but they must have gotten missed in the data upload. Thanks.
Jeff
Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Thanks for the order Webz!

TJ, I'm 99% sure we have these on the shelf in various compounds for the WW Superlite (including the 20.5mm thick version). I'm out of the office for a few days, but I'm going to check with one of my sales guys in the morning and I'll post what I find. They should be on our website, but they must have gotten missed in the data upload. Thanks.
Jeff
Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

-TJ
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Jeff,
I am thinking of ordering these pads.

My use is on a C6 Z51, With Coil-overs, running Toyo 888 Tires.

The car is used for 5-7 Autocrosses per year, and maybe 2-3 HPDEs per year. Otherwise just some street cruising, and of course driving to/from these local events.

So I was thinking about the RC6 pads, front and rear.

I think I'll get the cold bite I want for AutoX, yet be solid and lasting for HPDE. Of course, I also want them to be streetable too.

What do you think ?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM
J Ritt
Racer

NTMD8R,
I have one main question for you based on the data you've provided about your car and usage requirements...can you tolerate noise? The RC6 will make a considerable amount of noise. If brake squeal bothers you, these will annoy you on the street. Other than the screechy noises, they will work fine on the road, autoX, etc. If the noise truely doesn't bother you, then go for them.

The RC5+ will have almost no noise. They'll work great at autoX, in the canyons/mountains, and crusing. At the track though, you will not be able to push them quite as hard. They will have a lower performance envelope than the RC6.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you use the car much more frequently for street and autoX than you do for HPDE. At HPDE you may have to dial it back to 7/10 with the RC5+, but they'll be much more comfortable on the road in terms of noise.

My Magic 8 Ball tells me the RC5+ is a better pad choice for you if you can deal with potentially reaching the limits of the RC5+ late in a 20 minute session on the few occasions that you do take the car to the track.

It's a all about tradeoffs. In CL's case those tradeoffs are smaller than they are with most other pad brands, but they are tradeoffs you should be aware of nonetheless.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Jeff
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Jeff,
thanks for your reply.

When I had my C5, I had Hawk HP-Plus pads on it.
They squealed somewhat on the street, and that didn't bother me at all.

Could you compare the squeal of the RC6 with the Hawk HP-Plus, please ?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 AM
gear-head2
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi J Ritt,

do you have anything for C4 with the heavy duty 13 rotors.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
gamman3
Racer

what pads are your customers coming from? Anyone from the carbotech xp8/10 brigade?

Get notified of new replies

To Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads

Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Could you compare the squeal of the RC6 with the Hawk HP-Plus, please ?
I haven't driven HP+ in quite a few years. If my memory serves correct however, I believe the RC6 makes more noise. They will squeal on just about every low speed stop when cold on the street.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
J Ritt
Racer

do you have anything for C4 with the heavy duty 13 rotors
Gear-head2,
We don't have these compounds available in the C4 shape at this time. CL has talked about making them, but i don't have any further info at this time. I will surely post if they confirm one way or the other. Sorry and thanks.

what pads are your customers coming from? Anyone from the carbotech xp8/10 brigade?
We should have some direct comparisons to those pads vs. CL's on vettes in the very near future.

I have customers coming from Ferodo, PFC, Pagid, Raybestos, etc. You can see some of their feedback on our website: http://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads...s/cl-customers
We're still in early days, and it will unfortunately take some time to build a solid database of comparisons. Right now, all of the early adopters are jumping in to try and get an edge on their competition.

Last edited by J Ritt; 04-20-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

On my S2000, the RC6s squeal as described. Not a weenie squeal like the taxis and buses in NYC, a real squeal that changes pitch. Quite musical. I love it. You may not.

Just ordered some RC6Es for my new C5, going to try them out on the track at the end of the month.

I may be the only one to have an issue w/vibration - any suggestions? On the S2k - no vibration around town but once the brakes get up to temp, a bit of vibration when braking hard. Brakes still work perfectly on the track (and never fade), but I would like to do w/o the vibration. I am going to try a different set of discs (the above were new) and see what happens. Any suggestions for the bumpy discs - get them turned and see if that helps?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads