Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT1/Trans Am Camaro - cheaper and more fun that T1!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GT1/Trans Am Camaro - cheaper and more fun that T1!

SOLD SOLD SOLD All mechanicals are fresh - dyno time only on motor...

Selling my GT1/Trans Am car - while not a Corvette - you could certainly put a C6 body on it... Oddly a C5 body would not work.

The neat thing about this car is that you have a lot of opportunities to run. While you are going to have a tough time beating some of the 300k GT1 cars at Trans Am and SCCA nationals, you're not going to be a back marker either. You should be able to win some regionals and compete in NASA, MidWestern Council, EMRA and run Vintage Historic events too since this has run in the Trans Am series multiple seasons.

The car is sensory overload... The most amazing and violent car I have ever driven... With every shift you are pressed hard back into the seat as if you have been rear ended by a semi... It's just fast and suprisingly, not that hard to drive... Not to get 100% out of something like this certainly takes some seat time.

As of right now, the fresh motor was just installed this week and should be running by weeks end. Once it is dyno tuned, it will be available for delivery.

Some details on the rebuild:

New Weisco Pistons
Machining the crank
Cleaning and Honing the block
Installing new rings
Angle milling the heads
Installing new set of keepers
Valve job on heads – resetting the spring pressure etc
Installing new springs, most likely new lifters.
New exhaust seals
New head ARP head studs
And some other things that I will have to itemize.

Asking a very reasonable $27000 with all the spares and tires. You just need to pay your entry fees and fuel bill and you're good on tires and brake pads for almost two seasons if not more. Obviously will consider offers if you can show me a better deal out there or selling the car without spares, but to be honest you would be crazy not to take it all.

Again, tt will have a fresh motor, a just gone through trans as well as a spare trans. We have a ton of spare parts as well. Will consider trades for fun street/muscle cars or sports cars. Expecially a late 60's Camaro, a C2, C3,C5 or C6 Corvette, Mustangs, Vipers etc... but really would prefer a cash deal.

Here is some info on the car:

2000 Camaro Gt-1 based on Trotnow "Speedway" style chassis (original Max Lagod GT1/Trans Am third gen car from early 90's) ran Trans Am for many years, 2 Natl wins in 08, runoffs finishes in 2007-13th, 2008-12th. 23 degree 358: Bowtie, Brodix, Callies, Crower etc, Saenz 910 5 speed, quick change, remote Fox/Penske shocks, big CNC/Wilwood brakes, carbon fiber 4th gen body, radials, coolers and pumps for rear dif and trans, fire system, etc. Plenty of spares: hood, complete Saenz910 w/ addl new spare dogs and bearings, 7.25 clutch and discs, 8 spare wheels and tires including new rains + 6 fresh sets of Hoosiers, W5 hubs, new rotors, new PF pads, 8 QC gearsets, driveshafts, suspension, Comes with radios, transponder etc.

The car has had some further development since it's 12 place finish in the Runoffs in 2008. This is a really good car at a great price I am open to all offers, but you just need to show me where there is a better deal than this out there.

Additional parts and info:

Helmet fresh air blower
cooler , pump, and lines for cool shirt system (need your own shirt).
cockpit air ducting
MSD adjustable rev limiter
coolers and pumps for transmission and rear end, oil cooler w/ fan for engine
Spare Saenz 5 spd is was fresh as of midway through 08 season. and was totally fresh (new dogs and gears) new belts. Only a test day and practice session in 2009.
rollbar padding in 08
10# Firebottle system w/ 3 nozzle n cars
CR radiator w/ heat exchanger (oil cooler......the car never runs hot), full gauges, memory tach w/ shift light, switch panel w/ aircraft breaker type switches throughout.
2 complete Tilton 7.25 triple disc clutch assy w/ 6-8 spare discs
(ex Nascar .095-.100, spare high torque mini starter-new
spare alternator-new
2 Coleman alum driveshafts: 1 repaired, 1 new w/ u-joints, 1-u-joint-new
3 new rotors, 3 slightly used rotors
Performance Friction brake pads: front: 1 set-new, 1 set used 6 races (07 runoffs and 08 up to runoffs-still 65%) 1 addl set used, rear: 1 set new, 1 set used 6 races(07 runoffs and 08 up to runoffs-still 65%) *set on car was replaced before 08 runoffs, spare rear calipers (CNC which match fronts)
4 Wilwood wide 5 alum hubs (complete w/ bearing and seals ,packed , ready to install)
2 master cylinder rebuild kits-new
1 spare Oberg micron filter screen-new
1 set Eibach 700 front springs
1 set Afci 300 rear springs, misc coil over hdwre, 1 spare Woodward steering rack-used
5 upper a-frames (4 appear new, 1-used), 2 lower a-frames, 3 lower strut arms 2-used, 1-new, 2 spare tie rods-new, 1 new Howe mono ball for upper, ball joints for upper 2-new, 1-used, screw in type ball joints for lower 2-new, 1-used,
trans parts: new...1 gearset, 1 dog ring, many torrington bearings, standard bearings, and seals, used: 5-6 gearsets, dogrings, coarse spline input shaft, (all used but useable in emergency) manuels, drawings, parts lists for trans,
Racing Electronics radio harness w/ 3 radios, 1 headset
AMB transponder.
I also forgot to add 8 sets of quick change gears.....ratios from 3.23-3.99

Please e-mail me for pictures - clubracer6@aol.com or call with your questions - 224-622-8900

Last edited by clubracer6; 05-02-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: sold!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really sweet car, great price!

I happen to have the perfect C6 WC body for it
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Damn, that seems like a sweet deal
Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

for what I'm putting into my current build I could have bought that
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Yeah it's like everything else right now - smokin' deals to be had if you have cash in hand... I bought a 2 year old boat this past summer for less than 50% of what is was new.

In our old fun, "everyone had money" market, this would be a 45-60k car.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

bump for big price drop! This economy has swung a big hit on the race car market!

Who hasn't dreamed of driving a Trans Am car!? Here is your chance for about the same price as a top running Spec Miata!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for another race car for sell my wife won't let me have
Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You can make some great buys now. You can get a 2-year old Daytona Prototype for .30 on the dollar. Get one with an LS engine.

I would love to buy this Camaro - but no one will buy my C4.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Twitter
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

such a deal to buy but construction is in the tank To build that car would be sooooo much more!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Another price drop - a dramatic one at that... So tempted to keep this thing and run Trans Am... just don't have the support I need to do so.

This car is not like a T1 car or even an A-Sedan car. You need help at the track. It's has huge compression and a big cam and it's a bit bitchy the 1st time you start it for the day... This is a real race car - not some drivable street car that you just hop in and drive off in. That being said, no way, you're going to go any faster for this kind of money or find more places to run. You can run in Trans Am or SCCA Nationals and do fairly well and spend about 10% of what the others guys are. Again the motor is fresh as is the tranny. I'll even throw in a 55 gallons drum of Sunoco, so truly you just need to pay an entry fee and you are set. It does need an updated harness too, but we can work that it if that helps.

Starting my Grand Am season next month and need to get this gone.

I cant imagine there being a better deal out there, but if there is but you want this car, let me know - i am willing to talk... darn economy! What a crazy buyers market this is.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

This is an excellent deal on a car with TA history, plus fresh motor and
tranny.

Club Racer 6, I will place your ad on our V8stockcar.com message
board if you like.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 953 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Another price drop - a dramatic one at that... So tempted to keep this thing and run Trans Am... just don't have the support I need to do so.

This car is not like a T1 car or even an A-Sedan car. You need help at the track. It's has huge compression and a big cam and it's a bit bitchy the 1st time you start it for the day... This is a real race car - not some drivable street car that you just hop in and drive off in. That being said, no way, you're going to go any faster for this kind of money or find more places to run. You can run in Trans Am or SCCA Nationals and do fairly well and spend about 10% of what the others guys are. Again the motor is fresh as is the tranny. I'll even throw in a 55 gallons drum of Sunoco, so truly you just need to pay an entry fee and you are set. It does need an updated harness too, but we can work that it if that helps.

Starting my Grand Am season next month and need to get this gone.

I cant imagine there being a better deal out there, but if there is but you want this car, let me know - i am willing to talk... darn economy! What a crazy buyers market this is.
This price is awesome! Its the same as my last semester at college. Mmmmmm lemme see.... School... or Racecar.....

Anyone want to buy an old C4?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bosco022
This is an excellent deal on a car with TA history, plus fresh motor and
tranny.

Club Racer 6, I will place your ad on our V8stockcar.com message
board if you like.
I didn't even think of that - that would be awesome! Thanks in advance...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Loco Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Loaded like a freight train, flyin' like an aeroplane!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X-XI Blind Cart Auto-X Champ
CI VI Autocross Champ
CI VIII Autocross Champ
CI VIII Cone-killin' champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

I see it has wide 5 hubs on it does that mean it has a quick change rear end? What kind of rear suspension does it have?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
such a deal to buy but construction is in the tank To build that car would be sooooo much more!
This year has picked up for us (industrial refrigeration), last year was bad though. Everyone was shopping and no one would spend the money after all the leg work to get them the best price we (or anyone else for that matter) could.

Bump for the OP. Great car and deal. If this came up last year I might've thought to get it over the T-1 car

and yes, quick change rear with 8 different gear sets!

Get notified of new replies

To GT1/Trans Am Camaro - cheaper and more fun that T1!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i want this... i wish i had the $$$
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
PGM95Z
4th Gear

Just curious, but have you considered renting it out for someone to run in your local series? I worked with a guy that did that for spec 911 racing a couple years ago. I'm not sure how the deals worked out regarding all the legal stuff, etc; but it can't be too hard.

edit: Oh, and you might want to post it on www.frrax.com as well.

Anyway, bump for a badass race car.

Last edited by PGM95Z; 04-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks guys... I would rent it out, but just don't have a team to help me do that...

I had a deal pending last week, but it just fell through today... This economy has hit our sport hard!

Quick Reply: GT1/Trans Am Camaro - cheaper and more fun that T1!