Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 vs A6 vs Racing Slick for Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
RD in SD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hoosier R6 vs A6 vs Racing Slick for Autocross

I have three sets of slicks right now that I run on two different cars for road racing. I have an 06 C6 automatic with a wide body kit heavily modified for the track (sway bars, bushings, big brakes, coil overs, camber kit, engine mods, seats and more). I also have an 09 Z06 with even more modifications it weighs 2800 pounds and has 700 horsepower. I have a set of R6s on my stock wheels they are 345 and 295, a set of R6s on a set of Forgeline 18" lightweight racing wheels that are I think 345 and 315 x 18" and a set of Hoosier Racing slicks (not R6 or A6) in 18" not sure of width due to weird sizes on another set of lightweight Forgeline 18" wheels. I use all of this stuff for road racing.

Recently I was invited to an autocross event. My question is can I run something I have (I am thinking the racing slicks not the R6s) for autocross or do I need to get another set of wheels with A6s on them. Anyone with autocross and slicks experience please chime in. I have a large investment in wheels and tires already and frankly don't wont anymore slicks stacked up in my garage I am running out of room for cars. Of course my concern is that the R6s and racing slicks won't warm up enough to be effective for autocross. I know my first lap road racing I always take it easy until the tires warm up. I understand A6s are sticky when cold but I think my racing slicks may be as well just don't know for sure. I don't think the R6s will work but not sure about that either.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say the A6 tires, as long as in good shape, are the way to go since they are autocross tires.

R6 are road race tires and probably not going to warm up enough for autocross.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The A6s would be better for an autocross. However, if all you are doing is one autocross that is a lot of money to spend for an event where you will probably only get 5 minutes of course time for the day.

Bill
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

If you are running for fun use what you have, I've used R6s before for Autocross.

If you are going to win or prove something show up with sticker A6s, A6s are worth about 2 seconds per 60 sec auto X run.

If you have Hoosier R80s they would be better than the R6 IMO, although I've never Auto Xed them
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoosier A6's FTW in any autocross if you are playing to win....seriously....

R6's and R80's will probably take way too long to come up to temperature, the only time that they may be viable is if you are making back-to-back runs in the middle of the summer with BIG temperature. I haven't run any of the Hoosier radial slicks in autocross either , but I agree that they would probably be faster than the R6.

With all of that tire , I would make sure that you are using the largest rear you can buy like the 345 that is taller and has some sidewall. Sidewall will help with forward bite...

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 02-09-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Just use the R6 and do circles in the parking area for a couple min. before your run!

It all depends on the condition of the tire. A new A6 is fast, but Autox heat cycles wear them down FAST. I bought a set of A6s that were made literally 3 months before I got them, but because I bought them used and they already had like 20 Autox runs on them they were like ice and sucked in an autox. I got beat by another C4 on Kumho SPT street tires. Autox sure puts more of a beating on the tires.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Just use the R6 and do circles in the parking area for a couple min. before your run!

It all depends on the condition of the tire. A new A6 is fast, but Autox heat cycles wear them down FAST. I bought a set of A6s that were made literally 3 months before I got them, but because I bought them used and they already had like 20 Autox runs on them they were like ice and sucked in an autox. I got beat by another C4 on Kumho SPT street tires. Autox sure puts more of a beating on the tires.
I am finding that hard to believe unless it was really cold and/or wet....

A6's are fast throughout thier life , but never as fast as when they have stickers on them. They do get slower towards the very bloody end when the tire is the thinnest, but still quite fast. New tires will make you feel like super-man.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Bring one car with the A6's and one car with the R80's find out which one you like better then just drive that car the rest of the day.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They do heat up and get to full stick pretty quick.

I've run 10-20 HC A6's back to back with stickers on 1:30-1:45 tracks and they are ~3 secs slower than stickers. Which means they are still faster than most other R comps

They are pretty fast for the first 3 HC's, then slowly fall off then seem to kinda stabilize for awhile before they totally die.

They die faster if you abuse them in the summer heat.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I am finding that hard to believe unless it was really cold and/or wet....

A6's are fast throughout thier life , but never as fast as when they have stickers on them. They do get slower towards the very bloody end when the tire is the thinnest, but still quite fast. New tires will make you feel like super-man.
I thought it was weird too, they had about the tread left but would not stick. It made my 250hp C4 feel like it had 1000hp. Maybe the previous owner did something to them but I have not tried an A6 since.

Originally Posted by drivinhard

They die faster if you abuse them in the summer heat.
They were bought in the summer and they came off a 4 wheel drive subaru.....
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Maybe the previous owner did something to them but I have not tried an A6 since.
Everybody at some point, owes it to themselves to run a sticker set of A6's. Grinnin' like a possum
Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm mainly a track guy, but do autocross on occasion and have tried a variety of tires.

Regarding race tires; not sure about the Hoosier race tire, but my Goodyear G19 370 compound (fairly soft and softer than the 480 that I typically use at the track) only got to a max 106 degree temp. Far too low for the tire to work properly. I usually run in the 155-165 degree range at the track and thats barely warm enough).

I once drove the 370 compound home just for hell of it. They looked like toasted almond bars, so they actually got warmer on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier R6 vs A6 vs Racing Slick for Autocross

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 vs A6 vs Racing Slick for Autocross