Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NT05 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,013 Likes on 5,373 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Sounds right to me, 32-33 is about 40 hot

Bill
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the tires in today ... they look pretty good we will see how they do

Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll like the NT-05. I did VIR on Monday and Tuesday and tried out my new NT-05's and loved them. In my run group, I still have to use a street tire and I thought I'd give these a try. They performed very well, got just a little sticky, and had excellent traction. Combined with a good track alignment I was very satisfied with this tire. I started at 35 psi but got up to 42 psi with the air temperatures close to 70 degrees both days. I'd say the 33 psi cold would be the way to go to get to 40 psi hot. I'll see how many track days I can get out of them and report back.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
You'll like the NT-05. I did VIR on Monday and Tuesday and tried out my new NT-05's and loved them. In my run group, I still have to use a street tire and I thought I'd give these a try. They performed very well, got just a little sticky, and had excellent traction. Combined with a good track alignment I was very satisfied with this tire. I started at 35 psi but got up to 42 psi with the air temperatures close to 70 degrees both days. I'd say the 33 psi cold would be the way to go to get to 40 psi hot. I'll see how many track days I can get out of them and report back.
I can an have run the Hoosiers but mostly been on the firestones. I was looking for a set that will stick well and get me quite a few track days out of ...hopefully I made the right choice. Your PSI sounds high to me though .....
Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Yeah,
I thought the pressure was a little high too, but Nitto recommended hot pressure of 40 psi for track day. I typically would be at 36 psi hot on other tires, but I tried the 40 and it felt OK. I've also heard on this forum from a few that the NT-05 has soft sidewalls, and that may be why they say 40 psi.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
Yeah,
I thought the pressure was a little high too, but Nitto recommended hot pressure of 40 psi for track day. I typically would be at 36 psi hot on other tires, but I tried the 40 and it felt OK. I've also heard on this forum from a few that the NT-05 has soft sidewalls, and that may be why they say 40 psi.

Ok... Good info I will start off with maybe 32....

What sizes are you running?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Got the tires in today ... they look pretty good we will see how they do

Enjoy them while they still look nice....They will look like this soon

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 03-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

those look just like mine right now
Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Charley,
It looks like you could run a bit less air and a bit more camber as it may balance them out, last longer, more grip, etc......They are worn quite a bit in the middle from the pictures, not to badly on the outside edge but to some degree but not quite rolling over on the sidewall. It may be a bit less precise but more grip and last longer, etc......from my experience with quite a few different sticky tires on the track. I have not run these yet or our C6 on the track though, I will find out once I figure out that pesky roll bar

Rick
Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
Charley,
It looks like you could run a bit less air and a bit more camber as it may balance them out, last longer, more grip, etc......They are worn quite a bit in the middle from the pictures, not to badly on the outside edge but to some degree but not quite rolling over on the sidewall. It may be a bit less precise but more grip and last longer, etc......from my experience with quite a few different sticky tires on the track. I have not run these yet or our C6 on the track though, I will find out once I figure out that pesky roll bar

Rick
Believe it or not....they were wearing less in the middle when i raised the tire pressure to around 40 hot. They wear the most on the outside edge of the center section. When the wear got almost to the bottom of the outside groove I flipped the tires (inside to outside). When first got them I was running in the mid 30's hot and the center was wearing like crazy....So I called Nitto and they recommended running 40 Hot to reduce the wear in the center. Seems odd to me...but it helped. Would more camber help move the wear to the outer edge? I have a standard Z06 alignment.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty odd wear issues to say the least, from the pics and your info, then again I am dead tired right now, back is killing me, knees are screaming, I had fun in the shop today though so all good, sort of at least

There must be something in the way they wrap the belts to cause them to wear in the middle with low air pressure, I would guess!

I do not know the stock Z or regular alignment, never looked it up, I just do what I have to do to make it work. I probably have -2 up front for camber and -1.5 in the rear, a bit more positive front caster and a tiny bit of front toe in, zero rear but I will be playing with that a bit as things progress. I forgot to take notes but on my street tires it worked very well in spirited mountain driving on RE050A's.

It will be some time before I get to track the car but I will be reporting alignment settings as I figure them out

Rick

Quick Reply: NT05 Purchase