Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Bob,

I remember now that this was one of the big reasons why I've never upgraded--worried about issues w/ the fittings and installing them correctly. Is the install your issue w/the round banjo fittings etc? Or do they require service or something aggrevating that makes you not like the SS lines?
Well the oem banjo block have about 1+ square inches of flat surface clamping down on the caliper and has an anti rotaional detent IIRC. The thpical aftermarket ss line have round banjo fittings that have as much surface area clamping that is the size of what the bolt is...probably 20% of oem. So the possiblilty of failure is so much higher. Did GM over engineer this feature? Maybe but I like it.

Look at the DRM lines above. His lines are the best I have seen of the screw in types because there is only one fitting in the caliper then what appears to be DOT legal swagged 90 fitting on to the screw in fitting as opposed to some designs using non-dot 90 degree compression fittings. Is the DRM unit overkill? Maybe but I like it! And if the lines are typical AN-3 you can most likely use those same lines with a different screw in fitting when you change to a big brake kit. DOT is important because they have to do like a million whip cycles before failure. Is that overkill? Maybe but I like it.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

20,000 miles and 6 seasons of track time on my stock OEM hoses. I have used everything from XP12 to DTC-70 pads. The calipers are original and have not spread.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
20,000 miles and 6 seasons of track time on my stock OEM hoses. I have used everything from XP12 to DTC-70 pads. The calipers are original and have not spread.
If you get them real hot they will spread.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If you get them real hot they will spread.
I have cracked my fair share of rotors, so I think I'm using my brakes as hard as anyone.

I was told by someone who prepares Corvettes for T1 that the reason that I have not spread my original calipers is that I run 500 degree brake fluids like LMA, Syntec & Super Blue. Run something with a 600 B.P. and you can get to temperatures that soften the cast aluminum.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I have cracked my fair share of rotors, so I think I'm using my brakes as hard as anyone.

I was told by someone who prepares Corvettes for T1 that the reason that I have not spread my original calipers is that I run 500 degree brake fluids like LMA, Syntec & Super Blue. Run something with a 600 B.P. and you can get to temperatures that soften the cast aluminum.
500 degree vs 600 will not help caliper cooling anyway I can see. You get them hot they will spread if you are saying you won't be able to get them that hot because of the fluid will fail sooner then I would say OK.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
You get them hot they will spread if you are saying you won't be able to get them that hot because of the fluid will fail sooner then I would say OK.
Yeah I think that's exactly what he's saying. He'll feel it in his pedal before they are getting really hot.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Well the oem banjo block have about 1+ square inches of flat surface clamping down on the caliper and has an anti rotaional detent IIRC. The thpical aftermarket ss line have round banjo fittings that have as much surface area clamping that is the size of what the bolt is...probably 20% of oem. So the possiblilty of failure is so much higher. Did GM over engineer this feature? Maybe but I like it.

Look at the DRM lines above. His lines are the best I have seen of the screw in types because there is only one fitting in the caliper then what appears to be DOT legal swagged 90 fitting on to the screw in fitting as opposed to some designs using non-dot 90 degree compression fittings. Is the DRM unit overkill? Maybe but I like it! And if the lines are typical AN-3 you can most likely use those same lines with a different screw in fitting when you change to a big brake kit. DOT is important because they have to do like a million whip cycles before failure. Is that overkill? Maybe but I like it.
Most aftermarket brakes will take a 1/8 pipe to -3 AN adapter. Which I can send at the time of the order or after the upgrades have been made

Our C4-C5 lines are 100 percent DOT approved.

Randy
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Wow thanks George! You have a lot of track time! That's very impressive--I just went to race pads last year so I was not sure how long the lines handle the heat. Are you still on the original calipers or rebuilt or went to C6 calipers?
I want to first start out by saying my car has only been driven in HPDE's. Maybe all out w2w racing is harder on the lines. I'm still using my original non-rebuilt calipers. I have always run stock Z06 pads on the street and Hawk DTC70's on the track. As FatBillyBob said, "did GM over engineer the brakes, I guess so, and I like it". I drive and brake as hard as anyone, actually I late brake a lot, so far so good. but now that this topic has come up, I'll inspect the lines more closely. 68k+ miles

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 03-14-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM
uberC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I run SS lines because everyone runs them in my race class. Great reason eh??? I have not found a set of SS lines I like because they all use round banjo fittings or a rube goldberg of multiple screw in fittings. The OEM rubber line uses a banjo block which is a DOT legal darn near foolproof design. IMO the best lines for stock calipers would be SS banjo block lines.
Those are Russell 692190's. I know Jegs has them, Summit's got 'em too. There's an online place that has 'em with a low price guarantee and free shipping. Jegs and Summit both tax me, so I try not to go there

Last edited by uberC5; 03-10-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

With age brake lines can look fine and collapse on the inside. I had a truck where I thought it was the caliper not releasing. It would then get hot and lock up. I installed new calipers on a big truck then found out it was the lines collapsed. They would let the caliper brake but not let the fluid back to release. Smart mechanic told me the tip to check.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Still have my OEM lines on my 02Z. Lots of track time on them too.

My friend switched his out last year on his 02Z. Not sure what brand, but the routing or length may not have been the same as OEM. His left front tire rubbed thru the SS braid and into the Teflon tube. The pedal hit the floor at the end of the brake zone in T5 at Road America.

If you do go aftermarket, make sure the lines can't touch anything.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

My friend switched his out last year on his 02Z. Not sure what brand, but the routing or length may not have been the same as OEM. His left front tire rubbed thru the SS braid and into the Teflon tube. The pedal hit the floor at the end of the brake zone in T5 at Road America.

It could be the same length but a bad install if it is not turned the right way. After doing lines I would be religious about checking them if not always when the wheel is off. I doubt it rubbed through the SS braid in one session unless it was way out of whack. I caught a mistake I made on my Excursion when doing the brakes. Line was rubbing on the shock. Slight wear in the rubber after some miles but it was a mistake I made. What looks good on the jack stands may not be good with the suspension compressed or the wheel turned.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scary stuff. I did upgrade last year to the DRM lines. Have to keep them in mind as a primary inspection point I guess.

Quick Reply: Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?