Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/Electrical gremlin from Hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ignition switch--doesn't look like it

I put the key set w/the keys on there this morning and once the engine was hot, I played w/them parked.

I pulled on the keys, shook them from side to side, pulled at every orientation. The ignition cylinder does not give any hint of giving up the ghost.

This seems torque related partially. When it 1st happened was T5 at summit. It happened when I floored it in 3rd gear after the apex of the turn.

At VIR, I could pull more g's if I was just light w/throttle coming out of corners then I could when it failed and I asked for engine power coming out. It didn't like me asking for power.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
John,

What data logger do you recommend that I could hook up & monitor different circuits? Something easy to use? It'd be great if it ran off it's own battery power rather than plug in to the ALDL plug.

Thanks

Andy
I have not used this model but it's priced right and sounds like it is simple to setup. Whatever you use be sure and test your setup and data results before going to the track.

Did you check motor ground circuit? Grounds are funny because you can have a poor gound path and another circuit will act as a ground path but may not be perfect.

I don't have a schematic with me but I would look at

battery voltage
PCM input voltage
key on signal
engine ground
PCM ground

I am sure others will have more input
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
I have not used this model but it's priced right and sounds like it is simple to setup. Whatever you use be sure and test your setup and data results before going to the track.

Did you check motor ground circuit? Grounds are funny because you can have a poor gound path and another circuit will act as a ground path but may not be perfect.

I don't have a schematic with me but I would look at

battery voltage
PCM input voltage
key on signal
engine ground
PCM ground

I am sure others will have more input
Yeah--mechanic checked all the grounds. Suspicion right now is ignition switch worn contacts or a wire leading right to it. So that model will monitor and record those 5 signal voltages?

Quick Reply: Need help w/Electrical gremlin from Hell