Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latch & Link or Camlock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME

come on guys, you have to inspect your gear occasionally and check for bolts/screws backing out, which I suspect is the major reason for any well made camlock failure. My camlock is top notch, and I trust it with my life.

freeing yourself from a camlock is much quicker than freeing yourself from a latch. Much less accuracy and thinking involved in opening the camlock.
Less parts equals more dependable. How many here have rebuilt their cam locks?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i think i posted this same thread, cam lock
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a latch link in my car and am just fine with it. I also have a camlock in the helicopter I fly and feel comfortable with it too. I guess I just adapt to the conditions. Wether you twist or pull, the releasing action should be fast, easy, and natural every time you get in and out so that one time you do need to get out fast, you won't get stuck. When I get a racecar, I'll prolly shop around and see what I like better.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Radguy
Schroth enduro 6-point with camlock.

Works very well--almost no effort to tighten up when you are buckled in and very easy to loosen before you unbuckle. These are miles ahead of the Crow 6-points I had first.
Schroth makes the best cam lock that is easy to hook up and un hook. I have the 6 point and used to have the Crow. Crow was great but Schroth is much better. You pay for quality though but my wife like me to come home in one big loving piece!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO

I have a latch with a strap on it. It is caveman easy to get off. You don't have to be anywhere near a "very specific location".
I also have a 10" bright yellow strap attached to the end of the latch for my harness. Once I get the harness tightened down, I lay the strap out where it's easily seen and can be reached from the driver's door. The strap doesn't move around for either autocross or track days.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Unless one is using a scroth hybrid cam the latch can have a huge advantage of allowing separate sub-belts attached at the latch of a 6 pt harness. This allows the fastest "take-up" during crashes meaning superior hip control and anti-sub effect. You can't get that with 6pt "V" or "T" or forumula style subbelts.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

I use and prefer the latch type. It's simple, easy to use, and costs less.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Old school latch lock for me!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
My camlock fell apart on me while I was wearing it
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Dirt Racers don't use cam locks. Too easy to jam them with all of the dirt in the air.

Bill
I don't think Camlock was even around when I started dirt racing. But I just don't like the ideal of the camlock always thought they could come undone. Also FYI I don't know the rules for NASA/SCCA but you need to replace any harness no later than every three years. With sweat, oil, UV light, heat etc the material breaks down and looses strength.

Quick Reply: Latch & Link or Camlock?