Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Road Race School

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have recently done 3 day racing school w Skip Barber at Laguna (the miata version). I was mostly interested in getting SCCA comp license and some practice at Laguna Seca but was surprised at how much I learned in the areas I thought I was pretty good at, especially rain driving - the school coincided with the nasty december rainstorm in CA this year.

I could not believe watching people in my group go from pretty much 0 track experience to deep threshold braking around turn 2 at LS (in the pouring rain) and giving me a run for the money during our final race start practice/passing excersizes on day 3.

I have no experience with other schools, maybe they have better deals or fancier cars, but I can tell you that taking people with 0 track experience and getting them, in 3 days, to the point where they can run in advanced DE/open passing/TT groups or sign up for their first novice race, is impressive.

Last edited by longdaddy; 12-29-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

All I know is that your wife kicks ***!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
BlackHatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***Update***

After forever and again, I finally decided to take some days off and take the class.

My wife recognized my fried state of mind and basically booked the trip for me and sent me on my way. Love you baby!!

My brother is stationed at Nellis AFB as and F-15C pilot so this tipped the balance even more Spring Mountain because I lumped in an early visit with my brother and sister-in-law and the kiddos.

Now...about the class.

In a word, FANTASTIC!!!

Rick and the guys were very helpful and extremely adapt at teaching to each person's skill level. We had about twenty people in the class and you never felt like 1 of 20. The instruction was flawless and the flow of the class was extremely well thought out and intuitive.

Equipment and Facilities: A

The equipment was very up to date and very well maintained. The maintenance staff was all over any glitch issues and they were regularly servicing the vehicles. In no way shape of form did they feel like beat up track cars. You could easily have gotten into one of these cars and drove it down the street with no perceptible difference.

The facilities were very nice and clean. I stayed on the compound in the condos and I highly recommend this option. I rented the unit with the kitchen in it so I could cook breakfast and work in the AM.

They also have a pool, gym, shooting range, racquetball, and other items.

The food was above average but the breakfast just didn't scratch me where I itch. I need some eggs in the AM and the continental wasn't my favorite. Lunches are included and they were 2 for 3 on well prepped lunches.

Quick note...don't over eat on the 3rd day. The best part of the whole experience is after lunch and you are better served with a lightly filled stomach.

Pahrump is a bit depressing as a town but supposedly they have some decent restaurants in town for a husband/wife trip. I cooked in the roof again because I was relatively wiped out at the end of the days.

Instruction: A+

As mentioned previously, the class is well crafted and structured. There is not much class time and it is done primarily as a stigmatization of what you learn of track and how to improve. If you are looking for a set up where you drive, this is the school for you.

Note: You must do the 3rd day. It is what makes the class.

The instructors were great. All of them are having fun and as a result, so do you. I learned a little something different for each guy and was faster through each step.

Shout out to my boy Todd....that last ride along we did made the trip brother!!!!

These guys are real pros and if you want to see what their 70% looks like, wait until the ZR1 ride along.

Overall, the class superseded my expectations on every level. Between the instructors, facilities, and great group of fellow classmates...the class was a 10 out of 10.

I will certainly be a repeat customer and cannot wait for Level 2!

Thanks again guys,

Eric
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM
johninar
Drifting

Glad you enjoyed it. When you return visit the winery restaurant. It's pretty good.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
BlackHatch
Advanced

The wife will be coming the next time so I am sure we will be eating out quite a bit.

Thanks for the recommendation and that was the same advice Rick was giving as far as the restaurant choices.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHatch
***Update***

After forever and again, I finally decided to take some days off and take the class.

My wife recognized my fried state of mind and basically booked the trip for me and sent me on my way. Love you baby!!

My brother is stationed at Nellis AFB as and F-15C pilot so this tipped the balance even more Spring Mountain because I lumped in an early visit with my brother and sister-in-law and the kiddos.

Now...about the class.

In a word, FANTASTIC!!!

Rick and the guys were very helpful and extremely adapt at teaching to each person's skill level. We had about twenty people in the class and you never felt like 1 of 20. The instruction was flawless and the flow of the class was extremely well thought out and intuitive.

Equipment and Facilities: A

The equipment was very up to date and very well maintained. The maintenance staff was all over any glitch issues and they were regularly servicing the vehicles. In no way shape of form did they feel like beat up track cars. You could easily have gotten into one of these cars and drove it down the street with no perceptible difference.

The facilities were very nice and clean. I stayed on the compound in the condos and I highly recommend this option. I rented the unit with the kitchen in it so I could cook breakfast and work in the AM.

They also have a pool, gym, shooting range, racquetball, and other items.

The food was above average but the breakfast just didn't scratch me where I itch. I need some eggs in the AM and the continental wasn't my favorite. Lunches are included and they were 2 for 3 on well prepped lunches.

Quick note...don't over eat on the 3rd day. The best part of the whole experience is after lunch and you are better served with a lightly filled stomach.

Pahrump is a bit depressing as a town but supposedly they have some decent restaurants in town for a husband/wife trip. I cooked in the roof again because I was relatively wiped out at the end of the days.

Instruction: A+

As mentioned previously, the class is well crafted and structured. There is not much class time and it is done primarily as a stigmatization of what you learn of track and how to improve. If you are looking for a set up where you drive, this is the school for you.

Note: You must do the 3rd day. It is what makes the class.

The instructors were great. All of them are having fun and as a result, so do you. I learned a little something different for each guy and was faster through each step.

Shout out to my boy Todd....that last ride along we did made the trip brother!!!!

These guys are real pros and if you want to see what their 70% looks like, wait until the ZR1 ride along.

Overall, the class superseded my expectations on every level. Between the instructors, facilities, and great group of fellow classmates...the class was a 10 out of 10.

I will certainly be a repeat customer and cannot wait for Level 2!

Thanks again guys,

Eric
Eric,
It was great to have you come out to our school!
Todd says you're welcome, btw. I'll make sure I pass along your post to the rest of the staff, and look forward to seeing you in the future. We are working on designing the new extension to the track, so when you come back it may be on that one!

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
BlackHatch
Advanced

Looking forward to the new expansion and touching the 160's down the new back straight in the future.

Quick Reply: Best Road Race School