Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 corvette ! help me get the most camber AND caster out of it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default C4 corvette ! help me get the most camber AND caster out of it.

I figure you guys would know more about this than anyone else on the forum...

Does a c4 alignment shim 'kit' exist? The factory donut spacers have a special indentation in them that centers them against the control arm.

Heres what I am trying to do:

I have a C4 vette and want to increase negative camber and add positive caster.

The factory service manual says take an equal amount of shims, off front and rear bolts on each side to increase negative camber.

It says add more shims to the front bolt (or take shims off the rear bolt) to increase positive caster - for that side.

I see where I can yank some shims and prob give myself an extra -.5 negative camber. (Im currently at -.3).
Old 09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I haven't messed with the caster, but I took out all but one of the shims of rearward bolts and then an equal number out of the front and ended up with about -1.3 degrees. Essentially all shims to maxmize neg camber and maintain caster were removed. I think the front bolts have 3-4 shims.

I remember reading Richard Newton's site and I think he said that removing all shims does get you to about -1.5 or so. So, I feel pretty confident my measurement is accurate.

Last edited by Steve85; 09-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Go to offset lower bushings or adjustable upper control arms. I can't get enough camber out of mine with all the shims removed. I'm going to use offset bushings and machine those conical spacers to move the arm closer to the frame ear.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve85
I haven't messed with the caster, but I took out all but one of the shims of rearward bolts and then an equal number out of the front and ended up with about -1.3 degrees. Essentially all shims to maxmize neg camber and maintain caster were removed. I think the front bolts have 3-4 shims.

I remember reading Richard Newton's site and I think he said that removing all shims does get you to about -1.5 or so. So, I feel pretty confident my measurement is accurate.
I recently took an alignment class - for my job, and the guy teaching the class kept stressing 'caster is faster' and gave examples of german cars and their handling reputation. Then he pointed out how they were running higher caster than their american counterparts.

I could see his point, because caster makes it so that both tires are cambered the corrected way when you are turning.
The following users liked this post:
Need4Sneed (03-15-2024)
Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Go to offset lower bushings or adjustable upper control arms. I can't get enough camber out of mine with all the shims removed. I'm going to use offset bushings and machine those conical spacers to move the arm closer to the frame ear.
I have the same problem. Best I can get is 0 (thats right zero) camber on the front. Offset busings are part of the winter refresh.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I have the same problem. Best I can get is 0 (thats right zero) camber on the front. Offset busings are part of the winter refresh.
Me too. Did you find a good price on them somewhere? I haven't looked into it much but I'll need to source them soon. I'll be adding zerks in as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I must have been pretty lucky. On my lowered '90 with all the shims out I was able to -2.0* of chamber. I left one shim in the front bolt and that gave me between 5-6* caster.

This alignment works well with Kumho V710s and their rounded shoulders, but on Hoosiers I round the outer edges in the front and they are about 15-20* F hotter than the inner. I am making my own adjustable control arms to get about -2.5* chamber.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're looking to maximize grip, yes? There's a lot you can do to help with that, but it's true you won't find truly world-class grip levels without more negative camber up front. Here's my setup and observations, if it helps:

I have offset lower arm bushings on my '96. I intended to machine the spacers on the upper arm as well, but got enough camber with just the bushings. However, I started out with over -1 as a max, at stock ride height, before adding the bushings.

I originally had a lot of caster when I first installed the bushings, at the slight expense of some camber. I believed this would help very slow, tight radius autocross corners, where the late C4 seemed to give up a lot on the early C4. When I took out all the shims to max camber at the expense of caster, the car went faster, and seemed to grip better even in the tight stuff.

In its current state, I don't ever have front grip issues that aren't obviously track/corner-specific. It's very comforting to finally have that, I now basically drive the rearend. Note that I use a camber brace. The only reason for this is that my particular frame seemed spread apart pretty far, and I got an extra 0.3 degrees per side from the tightening the upper mounts onto the camber brace. (I don't know what happens dynamically, I haven't spent any effort into measuring that, but I do perceive more grip.) Net result is very close to -3 degrees at about a 1" drop from stock ride height. I also keep the car taller than most C4s I see, I have to in order to keep the car off its bumpstops in most corner/bump situations where I race or track.

Additional work was to correct bumpsteer to 0 within -1" to +2" from ride height, 1/16" total toe out, and fresh upper control arm bushings (just oem rubber). I maintain rubber bushings on the anti-swaybars, as I kept having issues with urethane as the lubricant wore off. I use a relatively small front bar compared to most, but I still don't experience very much roll at all. The front is an 1115# spring with a 26mm tubular anti-swaybar, balanced with a 550# rear spring with a 20mm rear bar (from an early C4). I tried quite a few bar combinations, going through an oem 30mm solid front, the Addco 1.25" tubular front, oem 26mm, 24mm, and 22mm rears in addition to what's on the car now. The car was just as fast with the 1.25"/24mm combination, if less tolerant of overly aggressive driving. It would probably be faster if I could smooth myself out and take advantage of the bigger bars. I didn't stick with it because the urethane kept binding up and causing weird issues. It would handle fine for a while, then degrade, after relubricating it. I actually stumbled onto the current combination because I didn't have rubber bushings for the 1.25" bar, and on a whim just decided to try the small bar combination.

I've also been through many different shock combinations, but found shock tuning to be of little value in terms of consistent front grip and balance. They sure did make a huge difference in transitions, and in the apparent responsiveness of the car, though. Having tried multiple custom valvings offered for the Bilsteins, I feel the Koni Sports are as good as anything short of a true competition shock. (I think a forum member is partly to thank for that, as he helped Koni setup the final valving via testing in autocross. The valving still works well even with my spring rates, even though they were tuned with a Z07 or Z51 car.)

hope that helps...

-michael
HAWAIIZR-1 (04-16-2024)
Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I know how you feel about the grease going away. Mine started binding and wouldn't rotate. I've been adding zerks to everything.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Heres what I am trying to do:

I have a C4 vette and want to increase negative camber
and add positive caster.
This inquiry is for a '93 C4, correct?

Does a c4 alignment shim 'kit' exist?
If one does exist, then it just consists of a selection of conventional
horseshoe-shaped alignment shims. There is nothing special about
shims used for the C4.

If by 'kit', you mean a pre-packaged assortment that when installed
will produce a given Caster/Camber combination - then no, a vendor
can't pkg an Alignment In A Box. This is due to mfg variance and
in-service chassis tweaking (curbs, tow trucks & ect.) that lead
to differences from vehicle to vehicle.

The factory donut spacers have a special indentation
in them that centers them against the control arm.
It is likely that you are referring to the 'Upper Control Arm Washers'
  • the thick one is called 'Position #1' (p/n #10268931 - qty 2)
  • the thin one is called 'Position #2' (p/n #10268932 - qty 6)
The factory service manual says take an equal amount of shims
off front and rear bolts on each side to increase negative camber.
Yes, this tips the top of the wheel in toward the center line of
the vehicle.

It says add more shims to the front bolt (or take shims off the
rear bolt) to increase positive caster - for that side.
Yes, either action has the effect of tipping the top of the wheel rearward.

Imagine a line passing through the center of the upper and lower ball
joints. If they are directly over top of each other, a line through
them intersects ground level at the center of the tire, which describes
0º caster. If the upper ball joint is positioned toward rearward, then
a line passing through the lower ball joint will slope forward and
intersect ground level ahead of the center of the tire, which describes
positive caster.

I see where I can yank some shims and prob give myself an extra
-.5 negative camber. (I'm currently at -.3).
0.5º change in camber isn't much of a change. If it is available,
then take it, but a consideration is that it may not be possible to get
the same degree of increase on both sides of the suspension. Several
C4 owners have found that there is less adjustment range on the pass
side for increasing camber.

Except for special circumstances, my vote is that both sides should
have the same Caster/Camber settings. Where one side permits greater
adjustment than the other, this means choosing the lowest common value.

Be aware that when at the limits of adjustment, it can be tedious
to achieve optimal C/C settings. Chasing camber affects caster,
chasing caster affects camber.

To increase the range of adjustment, some gain is possible by
machining (grinding) the Upper Control Arm Washers.

If allowed, offset lower control arm bushings add further gain (it
is important to install the bushings so they are offset in the proper
direction.)

If allowed, aftermarket adjustable upper control arms go even further.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Ok - I've just caught up with this thread. I run about -2.0 degrees of camber and about 6-degrees of caster. It wasn't easy to get there.

I used the offset lower control arm bushings (VBP) and had the upper donuts machined to virtually nothing. The Corvette Challenge spring (from Corvette Central) lowered the front of the car which also gave me more negative camber.

The result is that I now need shims to get to -2.0. Without any shims I could probably be at -3.0 - which would be way too much.

I'm a big fan of keeping things equal side to side. That's because I'm not that good. The really fast guys have different left and right sides. Sebring is basically all right hand turns. so you need to get the car turning right. At least that's what the pros do. I'm not a pro so I make both sides the same.

Richard Newton
Facebook
HAWAIIZR-1 (04-16-2024)
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
... I could probably be at -3.0 - which would be way too much.
'Way too much' for what: daily driving, Solo II events, Road America,
Daytona's banking ?

Within a range, alignment settings are situational. -3º front camber
might be found to be reasonable for a C4 in certain circumstances.
The OP has not stated what his intended usage is, nor what other
changes from OEM have already been made or are contemplated.

Consider the Milliken MX-1, as discussed a while ago in 'He's got more camber than you do'.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

The result is that I now need shims to get to -2.0. Without any shims I could probably be at -3.0 - which would be way too much.
Yes, I'm curious about how you determined this. Did you use a tire pyrometer, skidpad testing, lap times... All of the above? What tire? What spring/bar combination do you have on your car?

Thanks.

-michael
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Any idea how much extra the offset lower bushings give?

I can get 1.1° on the passenger side and 1.4° on the driver. 5° caster. I would like to get 2.0°!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea how much extra the offset lower bushings give?

I can get 1.1° on the passenger side and 1.4° on the driver. 5° caster. I would like to get 2.0°!
On my 94, the offset bushings were worth 1 degree of neg camber. Well worth the effort.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sidney004
On my 94, the offset bushings were worth 1 degree of neg camber. Well worth the effort.
Thank you. Did you get them from VBP? It looks like they have them for $110, which seems like a lot.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

First, I do take tire temps - several times a day. If you don't do this you're just wasting your time. Learn how to take temps and then try to learn what it means. It's sort of a black art - but essential.

I've got a column coming out in Vintage Motorsport magazine next month on various tire tools. You need to build a tire data base.

I'm not a huge fan of the VBP bushings but there is no alternative. I would much rather have Delrin bushings but they would make the VBP price seem stupid cheap.

My car is strictly a track car. it's almost undriveable on the street. Keep that in mind here. If my Corvette was a street car I would stay with whatever was original.

btw - If you're going to the Mid-America Funfest I'm going to do a couple of suspension and track day seminars. Love to see some of you.

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To C4 corvette ! help me get the most camber AND caster out of it.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
The VBP offsets added about 1 degree to mine also. With no shims and the spacers ground down as far as possible, it's at about -2.3 camber. Passenger side needs shims to match. I'm pretty happy with the front grip and the tire wear, I still have to flip the tires to get it done. I might have to put those adjustable upper contol arms on the list.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get them from VBP? It looks like they have them for $110, which seems like a lot.
Yes, VBP. I think they are the only game in town for these bushings.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

First, I do take tire temps - several times a day.
Interesting, Richard. So what tires do you use that work with -2 degrees on your setup? Tons of factors affect this, of course, track surface, total vehicle weight, bushing compliance (what upper arm bushings do you use?), roll stiffness, etc, so I shouldn't be surprised that two "working" configs would be so different. Also, is yours early or late front suspension?

Thanks.

-michael

Quick Reply: C4 corvette ! help me get the most camber AND caster out of it.